Paying alcoholics in beer

Old 12-07-2013, 02:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Paying alcoholics in beer

http://www.nytimes.com/2013/12/05/wo...?smid=pl-share

This is one of the strangest programs I've ever heard of--paying alcoholics in beer for cleaning streets.

For some of the more destitute alcoholics it is a step in the right direction. But then again, how does one live on beer, cigarettes, and approx $13.50 a day? They must be freeloading off of someone (family? gov't program?) if they are being paid that way.

I would love to find out what you all think about this!
Old 12-07-2013, 02:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

If my alcoholic was still drinking, all he'd need is his rot gut cheap vodka, a can of Copenhagen and everyone to leave him the EFF alone! He could handle the rest of his day just fine according to him. This is known as his *liquid diet*.

It's a good thing he doesn't work for beer n $13 a day.
Old 12-07-2013, 03:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It seems a bit like those "wet houses" in MN where alcoholics live together and are allowed to drink. Their is a nurse at the house and a Dr. on call to assist. The houses are paid for by taxpayers but it is actually saving money by cutting the cost of the alcoholics on the streets. One man had over $1 million dollars in unpaid hospital bills and detoxes.
Old 12-07-2013, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

There are HUGE cultural & social difference to how they handle drug and alcohol use in The Netherlands. They give them the option of getting government assistance in quitting or are allowed to continue their addiction without the fear of being ostracized and thrown in prison like we do here in the states.
I’m not shocked they are giving people beer, in most of Europe they drink beer like we drink sodas here in the states, and it’s a part of their daily meal. To be honest in moderation beer is way better for you than a soda, and less than 150 years ago beer was safer to drink than water.
I’m not advocating that’s a reason to drink, but you have to be objective in reading this and realize that not all countries handle addiction they way we do here in the States, and from what I read it seems to be giving those people a sense of hope and a reason to get up out of bed and be a productive member of their society. I see nothing wrong with that, and considering The Netherlands has one of the lowest crime rates in the world they are doing something that we are not here in the good ol’ USA.

Netherlands Closing 19 Prisons Due to Lack of Criminals | Johnson County Justice Center
Old 12-07-2013, 07:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've learned so much about alcoholism, but it still baffles me that alcoholics are content to live at a subsistence level and drink, with no greater goal or ambition in life. My xAH is reaching that point and it is so sad.

This program was certainly effective in cleaning up the parks. It is interesting and helpful to compare how countries/cultures handle addiction. It keeps me from getting into black + white thinking about alcoholism.

Thanks everyone.
Old 12-07-2013, 07:21 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It doesn't bother me. At least they're working.
Old 12-08-2013, 02:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've tried to see the good in this but honestly, it makes me a little sad. Surely this is just removing the bottom? These are husbands, wives and children who are now less likely to feel a need to stop drinking. After all, what's the need? An I just missing the point?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

So what happens as the alcoholism progresses?
Old 12-08-2013, 10:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

They are no longer spending the whole day drinking like they would be doing if they did not have the job, which is a good thing. The Netherlands offers a good amount of government assistance to the unemployed, so they would still have money to get alcohol even if they did not get the beer this program provides.