12-steps should be taught at school

Old 11-02-2013, 07:47 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

12-steps should be taught at school

I was reading about the importance of teaching life-skills to children in an online article (I cannot remember where) when this link caught my eye:

Are You A Mother Or A Lover? Hidden Romance Killers You Need To Know | Eligible Magazine

The thought struck me, the principle of not relying entirely on ourselves, of seeking help from a HP, of learning to be able to let go, to set healthy boundaries, not to value ourselves by other people etc. Why are these not at the basis of every education? What is the point of teaching fact after endless fact and producing adults with little or no coping skills.

What improvements do you all think we would see if the 12-step principle was encouraged in everyone? Do you think it would be a good idea or not?
Old 11-02-2013, 07:54 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Life skills are important, but not everyone agrees with all the steps or believes in a higher power. If parents want to teach their children about it, that's up to them.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:05 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by shil2587 View Post
I was reading about the importance of teaching life-skills to children in an online article (I cannot remember where) when this link caught my eye:

Are You A Mother Or A Lover? Hidden Romance Killers You Need To Know | Eligible Magazine

The thought struck me, the principle of not relying entirely on ourselves, of seeking help from a HP, of learning to be able to let go, to set healthy boundaries, not to value ourselves by other people etc. Why are these not at the basis of every education? What is the point of teaching fact after endless fact and producing adults with little or no coping skills.

What improvements do you all think we would see if the 12-step principle was encouraged in everyone? Do you think it would be a good idea or not?
Seeing as that would be in direct violation of the laws of my land, I'll go with bad idea. At home it might be a good idea though.
Old 11-02-2013, 08:20 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I agree with the 2 previous responses. Being a teacher who teaches health (which mental and emotional health is a part of), I even have the opportunity to have a go at it, but wouldn't. I believe 100% in the way of life laid out in the 12 steps. They do however go waaay outside the lines of the way many kids are brought up. Right or wrong. If I tried telling students they were powerless, it would be a fight first with the students, then the parents, and chances are pretty good I'd wind up losing my job. And that's without even getting to the "god" part.

What I can DO though, is present the steps to them and teach them that this is the formula many people use to overcome alcoholism and other addictions. Just introduce the steps so they're aware of their existence. And I'd feel I had to offer the flip side too, from the AVRT I will never drink again again school of thought. I might actually do that this term. I have the most awesome classes of at risk young adults. It's an afterschool program for potential dropouts to earn their diploma.
Old 11-02-2013, 10:00 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Idiot!

I think when you find something that really resonates with you personally you can feel a strong urge to share it with all and sundry. Right now.

Even if this message is a very good one this enthusiastic urgent delivery can have the opposite effect.

Better a few get an initial motivation from observing YOUR improved demeanor than trying to ram the message down the throats of many who just won't want to listen?
Old 11-02-2013, 10:55 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I dont see why teaching the following would offend anyone...and should be practiced by everyone on a daily basis...
Step 1: Honesty

Step 2: Hope

Step 3: Faith

Step 4: Courage

Step 5: Integrity

Step 6: Willingness

Step 7: Humility

Step 8: Compassion

Step 9: Love

Step 10: Perserverance

Step 11: Spiritual Awareness

Step 12: Service
Old 11-02-2013, 01:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by involved View Post
I dont see why teaching the following would offend anyone...and should be practiced by everyone on a daily basis...
Step 1: Honesty

Step 2: Hope

Step 3: Faith

Step 4: Courage

Step 5: Integrity

Step 6: Willingness

Step 7: Humility

Step 8: Compassion

Step 9: Love

Step 10: Perserverance

Step 11: Spiritual Awareness

Step 12: Service
whoa . . . the 12 steps in 13 words. THAT is impressive.

as far as the school thang, and some of the perspectives -- we seem to be blurring "teaching" and mandatory indoctrination? Many things are "taught" or made available that are not part of the core curriculum.

Like say Football. Wait a second. I have that wrong. Here in Texas -- Football is mandatory, it is Science, Math, and Writing that is optional.
Old 11-02-2013, 01:34 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Yea, coach Landry.

dandylion
Old 11-02-2013, 01:41 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Originally Posted by dandylion View Post
Yea, coach Landry.

dandylion

I do not share the love of the Texas (Footsbull Furst!) retardothon.

Mrs. Hammer mocks me as being Sheldon in this >>>

Big Bang Theory - Sheldon and football.avi - YouTube
Old 11-02-2013, 02:07 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I think the golden rule is sufficient for most and bridges both spiritual and secular value systems.