What more will it take? Where is Rock Bottom??

Old 08-25-2019, 01:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What more will it take? Where is Rock Bottom??

Hello. I’m new here, I’ve been reading and following off and on, and can relate to a lot of what I read. I’m so sorry to anyone who struggles, it’s so real!

I’m in a 4 year relationship with a man, I simply fell in love with. Back when he actually tried to be a decent person - it was hard not to fall in love. Why did he change? Because I accepted his faults and dealt with it. Why? I don’t know, other than having a low self worth and feeling like I couldn’t do better - I suppose. Now I’m 45, largely overweight and know for sure now I’m stuck here for life. So, now my questions are when is rock bottom for this man?

Early this spring I had to rush him to the ER for what we thought was a heart attack. Come to find out after 4-5 days in the hospital, he has alcoholic cardiomyopathy and congestive heart failure. He is only 45. His fluid levels on a blood test were 7000! Normal is 0-124. The doctors have told him he needs to stop drinking, it will not get better until he does. They’ve even said if you stop now, you CAN get better! He has a young son to live for! Why can’t he?

Has as he stopped? No. In fact some days he drinks even worse. He is drinking his first beer within 30 minutes of waking up in the morning - so by 8-8:30 am, the man is drinking. He drinks nonstop until he lays down and goes to bed, in fact he brings 1-2 cans into bed and drinks them both before laying down for bed every night. I’d say he consumes anywhere from 18-24 cans a day. A good day where he’s being careful, he will still drink 12-18 ‘20’ ounce cans. He's on a STRICT 64 ounce liquid per day diet for heart failure.

He cant work, he can’t hold a job. He is drunk by noon, passes out for an hour or 2 everyday around 4. Wakes up and continues until he passes out again around 10-11.

This late morning he asked me to go to brunch, ok I agree. He rarely eats, so anytime he offers to eat I agree. We get to the restaurant and he orders a tall beer, before 1pm! I’m mortified and embarrassed, but ok. He’s already half drunk and starting to act up before our food comes. He calls waitress and asks for another beer, before our food even comes. She DENIED him, told him quietly she won’t serve him another. He jumps up from his chair, starts mumbling that he will never be back and walks out. Waitress profusely apologized to me, which I obviously apologized right back! Everyone in their Sunday best, after church and here we are.... I was so embarrassed! I stayed bc our food came out while this was happening and I couldn’t just leave even though he did. I asked waitress why, I said I understand but why? She said we’ve had complaints and he’s sitting there drooling and half passed out. I said I know. Ok. I just needed to HEAR IT. I finally leave, he had walked to gas station and bought a 6 pack, had guzzled 3 while I was in there and he was passed out in my car when I came out.

I don’t think I can take this anymore, but I also don’t think I can take on our lifestyle alone. I’m the soul provider. He doesn’t work, or pay bills. But physically demanding stuff I will struggle with. Yet, he has my anxiety and depression is so through the roof I feel I am becoming a nasty person. Does this make sense? I used to be fun and loving. Now I’m bitter and angry.

His friends rarely if ever talk to him anymore. Yet he still claims they’ll be there if he needs them, and they probably would, but would go right back to ignoring him after.

His family won’t help me!!!! I have asked a couple times over the years. I’ve figured after the heart failure, they’d surely help. Nope. Not even a little. I don’t understand that. They can be here for an afternoon and he will go into one of his rages on his son, me, whoever and they just sit there with their mouth shut. They don’t say anything at all. Once in a while his sibling will text me asking how he is, I tell the truth, he needs help, he’s not good. They just say, I know. I don’t know what to do. Then that’s the end. No more.

Frustrated beyind belief!!

Old 08-25-2019, 01:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lost4Now View Post
Now I’m 45, largely overweight and know for sure now I’m stuck here for life. So, now my questions are when is rock bottom for this man?
Hi, Lost4Now. You've come to the right place, and I want to start off by thanking you so much for sharing. I'm sorry you're feeling frustrated, and no wonder based on the situation as you've described it.

Not to add to your frustration, but I would like to answer your question with a question: When is rock bottom for you? When do you make the decision to save yourself from someone who either cannot or will not save himself?

You are not, as you say, "stuck here for life." I was with my AXBF for ten years, and we have a daughter. I kicked him out and started over as a single mother, and I'm pushing forty. Was it a terrifying decision? Yes. Did it change my life irrevocably? Yes. But am I grateful every single day for the happy and secure life I've built for my daughter? Absolutely.

It is very sad what this person you love is doing to himself, but there is nothing you can do to change it. I hope you will continue sharing and find a way to take care of yourself. That is your top priority.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:05 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life is good

wellbeing: the state of being comfortable, healthy, or happy

In Al-Anon it's possible to learn that our wellbeing is important. Alcoholism is a disease, not a moral failing, and it affects friends, family and all in close proximity.

https://www.al-anon.org/
Old 08-25-2019, 02:09 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi lost4now and welcome.

So you have been reading around so you know you can't help him. I would recommend reading as many threads as you can, including those in the stickies section at the top of the forum.

Learning about alcoholism and addiction for yourself, not for him.

Rock bottom is not a measurable thing. Plenty of people never recover from alcoholism no matter how negative the consequences are.

Why do you think you are stuck there? You two are not married and have no children together? You're not his caretaker or his Mother (and in fact it sounds like she has already given up) and he is not a child.

https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums...-recovery.html (Letting go of those not in recovery)
Old 08-25-2019, 02:11 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

So, now my questions are when is rock bottom for this man?
There is no such place as rock bottom, there is only a day on which an alcoholic decides to do something different and something better. Then another day, then another day, then another day. Alcoholics don't necessarily have to lose everything in order to opt for change and alcoholics don't necessarily ever change, no matter how horrendous their lives get. Don't ever hope or wait for "rock bottom" to wake up an alcoholic. There's no such thing. There's just a first day on which he chooses to make changes, when life becomes another day and another day of different choices.

Likewise, we who love an alcoholic never need to wait until our rock bottom in order to make better choices for ourselves. We can do that on any day, no matter how bad or how well things are going. Rock bottom is just the day we decide to reach out and start making healthier choices for ourselves.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:20 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

What more will it take? For him, probably death. That is terribly sad, but he way you describe his drinking habits and his medical history show that he is entrenched in alcoholism. He obviously has no intention of changing, and nothing you do or say will change him.

What more will it take for you? You are not stuck. You are fee to leave at any time. Why do you stay?
Old 08-25-2019, 02:23 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

So, now my questions are when is rock bottom for this man?
Lost, im not tryin to scare ya with this, but its the truth:
rock bottom is death. some hit that.
its possible to stop on the way down to rock bottom.
SaveHer had a great question- focusing on his rock bottom and not considering your own rock bottom wont do YOU any good. youre allowed to take care of yourself.
Old 08-25-2019, 02:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's not your boyfriend's family's job to get him to quit, and it is not your job or responsibility. The only - ONLY - person who can quit is your boyfriend.

And everyone else is right...there is no "rock bottom". So many times, I've thought "okay - that's rock bottom...he'll be motivated to stop drinking NOW", only to find him continuing to drink. My counselor flat out told me when I was venting my frustration to her, "Maybe his rock bottom is dying". I think for a lot of alcoholics that is exactly it.

You aren't married. You don't have children. Do you want to stay in this until he dies?
Old 08-25-2019, 02:53 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hey Everyone,

Thank you for reaching out to me. I’m so scared I think is the word. Nothing I do helps. I have done everything from begging/pleading, to stopping my own addiction to soda pop (and still not having any), to telling him it’s me or the beer - he says beer and yet, here we still are.

I need to look into AlAnon. I’m afraid to go.

I have read so much, I truly have, but it still seems as though I myself can’t walk away when I know that’s my only option at this point.

Why am I afraid to leave? I think because of the help he provides around the farm. I have a farm, I am self employed and my business is high labor - his help is very much appreciated and considering he can’t work, his promise to me was, if I can move in - I will help and you won’t need to hire help. So, I guess I’m under the impression that if he leaves, my business could fail without his help. I run the business, I manage, but he does a lot of the labor intensive things that I will struggle with. My parents have agreed to help me cover the costs to hire help (as I’m just starting out) and I know they would, but it’s hard asking for help even though it was offered. They just want me to get rid of him - they say he’s bringing me too far down.

But that’s mostly why..... we don’t have a relationship, we are more roommates than anything else. I have to drive him around if anything happens afternoon hours bc he’s too intoxicated to drive himself. All he wants to do is stay here and drink. We have zero intimacy, no sex life whatsodver. Haven’t had that in probably a year. No lie. I don’t even like him anymore (love is different), and I don’t think he likes me either. He, Definitely doesn’t know what love is.

I’m shocked that his ex wife, sons mother even allows her son to go with him on the weekends. She knows full well the man is drunk and driving over an hour with their son in the car. I used to go and pick him up but it’s become just too hard for me to get away for the 3+ hours it takes total to just go pick him up. I can’t do it, it’s not my responsibility. Is it?? If the mother cared wouldn’t she opt for a difference? I would.

He loves making fun of me. Tells me I am addicted to food and if I stop eating, he will stop drinking. He also loves to make fun of the way I breathe when I am doing something that requires extra exertion. I have asthma, and sometimes especially in the humid summer. I breathe harder, and he loves to make fun and imitate me and ask if I need 911. He’s constantly drilling me for what I do, or blaming me for not doing enough. This isn’t even his house, nor does he pay the bills but thinks he runs the household.

No no we are not married, we do not have kids together. He has a young child, I have an 18 year old.

I know I need to leave, but I also know how hard it’s going to be, and I’m afraid the pain is going to be like when my ex husband left me after 15 years. Ugh.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:13 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Your age and weight have nothing to do with your worth as a person and your right to a peaceful life free of the torment and humiliation you describe. You can’t save him. It is not your responsibility. You would be far better off on your own than with someone who doesn’t work, devalues you, and embarrasses you in public. Think of it this way...what motivation does he have to get better if you are there to pay his bills (including his alcohol purchases) and clean up his messes? His rock bottom may well be when no one is left to give him a place to live and get drunk. My advice? Run like hell. But first call child protective services to ensure his son isn’t left in that mess. (P.S. I left my AXH after 35 years of marriage at age 56. I had gotten a bit hefty myself in my misery. I’m much happier and even a bit slimmer now. It can be done! Meanwhile my AXH, like your ABF, is being refused service all over town and is estranged from his sons.) Please remove yourself from this toxicity. You deserve so much better. And make an enormous, life altering impact on a child by getting his son out of there.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Why am I afraid to leave? I think because of the help he provides around the farm. I have a farm, I am self employed and my business is high labor - his help is very much appreciated and considering he can’t work, his promise to me was, if I can move in - I will help and you won’t need to hire help. So, I guess I’m under the impression that if he leaves, my business could fail without his help. I run the business, I manage, but he does a lot of the labor intensive things that I will struggle with. My parents have agreed to help me cover the costs to hire help (as I’m just starting out) and I know they would, but it’s hard asking for help even though it was offered. They just want me to get rid of him - they say he’s bringing me too far down.
Lost- look at this:
considering he can’t work
he cant work???
he does a lot of the labor intensive things that I will struggle with
he cant work or he wont work and wants to be a freeloader? ive helped on a farm and it aint easy and if hes able to help on a farm he CAN work.
if he cant work he would be on disability.

imagine how great it could succeed with an employee that worked to their full potential.
your business could very well fail with him there. wanna look out some day and see him dead on your farm?

humility never hurt anyone.
lack of it has destroyed nations.

let your parents help you. they want to see you succeed,too.

the fear of the pain of leaving wont be as bad as ya think. ya found a great forum of people to help ya through it and look at things from a different angle.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:16 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Yes, if you know he is driving drunk with his son, it is your ethical responsibility to call the authorities. I called the police on my AXH when I knew he was driving drunk. His adult sons have turned him in as well.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:18 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I know I need to leave, but I also know how hard it’s going to be, and I’m afraid the pain is going to be like when my ex husband left me after 15 years. Ugh.
The fear. What if you ask him to leave an you are there alone and feel just awful missing him, like you did perhaps when your ex husband left. Well, it won't be the same because this relationship is not the same is it?

Now ask yourself this, what's to miss?

The romantic relationship? There isn't one.
He's great company and a real help - No
He enhances your life and does things that make you happy - No

I could go on, but you know these things.

Take your parent's help. Please. Ask him to leave. There is nothing in this for you except a man that makes fun of you and that is crushing your self-esteem. From the sounds of it, he is having success. You could give a hired helper a room and they would probably be better for you than this guy - in fact if it's the right person I guarantee they would be! Yes, a stranger for a room mate would be better.

There is nothing wrong with you. I don't care if you are 100 lbs overweight and you eat Twinkies for breakfast. That doesn't make you "less than". You are who you are and you are just fine the way you are!

As you said you used to be a happy person, so what's changed? Unfortunately this very toxic person has entered your life. Well he can get out of it the same way he came in, through the front door.

Might it hurt a bit? Maybe, if you dwell on the "good times", which might be hard to dwell on because I'm thinking those were quite some time ago. You will need to stay absolutely focused on protecting yourself.

You are going to be ok. Al-Anon is great for face to face support. Of course you are scared, your self-esteem is all beaten up and facing people like that probably seems really scary. Remember, they have all been where you are, maybe not identical circumstances but all dealing with an alcoholic.

We are here for you too Lost.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

I'm sorry (not) to say he sounds like a truly horrible person! You provide everything for him, yet he mocks and makes fun of you?

I agree 100% with tomsteve. Kick his butt to the curb and hire some help for the farm. Your parents love you and want what is best for you. Swallow your pride and take them up on their offer.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:24 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

New life, I have often thought of CPS only bc of the torment his father creates for him most days while he’s here and the driving drunk with him, but my fear is both parents would know who called and that could be bad bad. I prefer a cop pull him over while driving one day. I can wish.

I feel like I know I’d be better off... but this is not going to be an overnight thing. When I ask him to leave, which I have in anger before, he refuses. Currently he has a binder of probably my most important papers locked in his trunk right now and says if I make him leave they’re going with him. So there is that too.

Thank you you for sharing and giving me hope!! I appreciate all of you. Today being embarrassed like that was the final straw I think. He’s going to embarrass me at the wrong place one time and could jeopardize my name.

Old 08-25-2019, 03:28 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

That's what locksmiths are for, to open locks!

Barring that, you could try going to your local police station and explain that your border is holding your documents in the trunk of his car, they might pay him a visit and kindly ask them to return your property.

It is theft.

He can refuse to leave all he likes. You can also refuse to pay for his alcohol and food. That is your prerogative. I think once the alcohol dries up he will be hitting the road.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:33 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Tomsteve,

Youre right - he CAN work, he has chosen not to - but he also gets fired within days of any new job bc he would drink on breaks.

He finally sold something of value, and he put part of this money into my account. 1 time in 4 years he’s ever contributed. He wants it back, not realizing most has been spent by himself. He wants the full amount and isn’t taking into consideration that he has spent 75-80% of what’s in there. I’m tempted to just give him my own money in full of what he put in and say here, go! But, it could hurt me doing that too. I’ve also thought about getting an attorney. I’ve told him more than once he can have what’s left, it’s his... but I’m not paying you back what you have spent! He doesn’t get it. Then he tells me, everyone in his family will hate me when they find out.

Thank you for listening

Old 08-25-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

actually HE is the one that needs to go.

i know it seems hard to fathom right now, but your life and your business and your health will all improve once you have removed the dead weight. you are basically paying someone to abuse you. and suck up all your time. and energy. and mental well being.

you are an amazing strong woman. just like mucking out a stall, it's time to muck out your "roommate".
Old 08-25-2019, 03:35 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

He has your important papers? He lives in your home rent free and makes fun of you? He jeopardizes your reputation? He endangers the life of his child and others on the road? This is one cruel and irresponsible man. Please sit down with your local police or sheriff. Tell them what’s going on and have him evicted. File a restraining order if you need to. If the boy’s parents are angry if you turn the dad in, so what? A decent responsible person must make sure this child is safe.
Old 08-25-2019, 03:37 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When he passes out retrieve the keys to collect your papers, if you can’t can you get duplicates or cancel out the ones he’s has?