Privacy...and the open nature of this forum

Old 05-18-2013, 09:30 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by TemporaryUser View Post
There's an option to tweet the threads... how does that keep things private?
All the more reason to make sure that you do not post or share any personally identifiable information on the boards. At registration, all incoming members are warned that this is a public and open forum that can be found using internet search engines.

The reason for maintaining SoberRecovery as open and public is so that people who really need this forum can find it. Using an internet search is how I found SoberRecovery at a very low point in my life.

As always, I will make sure that your concerns are passed along to the appropriate people.
Old 05-18-2013, 09:07 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

My username has nothing to do with anything other than the fact I love the movie and I am from the south.

A couple of times I've accidentally typed the name of the family member I was discussing. It's difficult not to do that when you're talking about such personal things having to do with someone you love -- even if you are sharing it with total strangers. There's something about the total strangers aspect that makes a person speak more freely I think.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:37 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I really don't like the tweeting option either because it means the posts could end up being read by anyone, not just people looking for help with recovery. This seems kind of crazy to me.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:44 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Seren View Post
The reason for maintaining SoberRecovery as open and public is so that people who really need this forum can find it. Using an internet search is how I found SoberRecovery at a very low point in my life.
And, the same for me, too and for many people here. We want others to be able to access what we have here and the support and understanding we find.

As long as you choose a user name others don't know, and you don't tell people you are on SR, there should be no problem.

Last edited by Seren; 11-23-2013 at 06:28 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 10:45 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  

I've been thinking more about this. My natural tendency is to worry about who could find out, but I need SR so I guess I'm just going to have to trust my HP on this one.
Old 05-19-2013, 11:04 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
A work in progress

The problem with the "tweet" option is that our "stuff" is being put out in a place where we did not post it. I think it is basic good manners online not to repost in a different place what someone else has written, without permission. I am on a couple of email lists, and have seen others re-post things written by someone else on another site, and I have told them that it makes me uncomfortable.

Of course, it is basic internet safety 101 not to post ANYTHING online that would cause you a problem if it were to turn up someplace else. Still, knowing that it COULD happen is one thing, but having a self-help forum basically encourage people to do that is another.

Just my feelings.
Old 05-19-2013, 04:14 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

The Twitter button has been around for 3 years now. So far, I have not heard of anyone running into any problems because their posts were tweeted. Also, bear in mind that ‘tweets’ can only be 140 characters. I reached that character limit in this post alone by the time I reached the word ‘tweets’ above. It would be extraordinarily time-consuming for someone to share any of the posts here via Twitter because they would have to do so in more than one tweet. Either that, or the post would have to be altered so dramatically to be tweeted that it would not resemble the original post at all.

I hope this information helps!
Old 03-11-2014, 05:34 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Bump for the newbies!
Old 02-03-2015, 02:15 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

For the newcomers!
Old 02-05-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Important - please read

Hello Everyone!

I'm not sure how much more explicit I can be at this point.

If you have received a/an:
  • text
  • letter
  • card
  • or any other form of written communication from someone else
  • or if someone in your household has written an 'impact letter' to the alcoholic/addict in your family

DO NOT POST ITS CONTENTS HERE ON THIS PUBLIC FORUM.

Going forward, any messages of this sort will be removed.

If YOU have written a letter to someone and you want to share it here, that is entirely your choice.

By posting something someone else has written, you are violating their privacy because they have not given you permission to do so, and it is a personal message not meant for the World Wide Web to see.

Most importantly, though, if the person who wrote the message happens to find what you posted, then YOU can be identified and YOUR privacy, anonymity, and perhaps even your safety may be compromised. This may be especially true in the case of an abusive relationship.

Here, again, is the SR rule on Privacy:
3. Breaching of privacy: Solicitation of names and addresses or other personal information for commercial purposes or, in the case of minors, for any purpose. Revealing personal information, including e-mail addresses, about other members that would identify them in the real world and which they have not otherwise made public online. This includes posting the contents of emails, private messages, private phone conversations, private letters, and/or any other private information that has not been shared on the forums by the member/non-member personally.

Do not post offline personal contact information (ie. your home address, phone numbers, email address etc.) and do not ask for personal information from others. Modify your member profile in the Control Panel at the top left corner of the forum to set privacy settings for your account. Use of full names (your first and last name) is allowed but strongly discouraged. This is to protect your security and identity.
Peace in the Valley, S
Old 02-05-2015, 03:35 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Engineer Things; LOVE People

Yeah, freaks and creepies out there.

For a while, Mrs. Hammer's attorneys were cutting and pasting posts from here, to put into Court Records, trying to present that I was a "misogynist." (how is THAT for a 5 dollah phrase? ) when I was laughing at Codejob and telling her to mind her own business. Oh well, Evil, EVIL me.

Hey Real Question -- would it be against the Terms of Service here to Cut, Paste, and Publish forum contents from here without the consent of Sober Recovery and/or the person who posted it?

If so, I might as well add that to the list of matters I am going for Sanctions against Mrs. Hammer's attorneys.
Old 02-05-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Unless I'm mistaken, everything on this site is open to the public, so there is no "service" to whose terms the person copying/pasting would be bound. IOW, there's no agreement between this site and any random member of the public who chooses to grab the content.

Technically, maybe there's a violation of copyright (which we all have in anything written that we "create") but do you really want to make a federal case out of it?
Old 02-05-2015, 03:57 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
Technically, maybe there's a violation of copyright (which we all have in anything written that we "create") but do you really want to make a federal case out of it?
Well, the Federal part is the Tax Considerations. But overall, it is already a "case." I just figure the more obnoxious they are, the more it leads to sanctions. I switched over to Pro Se, (yeeeaaaahhh, baby) after we had everything settled with the kids.

Now it is just a pissing match regarding money. The idiots made a claim for support with Mrs. Hammer making more than me. With a 50/50 split on custody, you know how that is going to go. I already tried to let them off with a Take Nothing (either way), but on we go.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  
A work in progress

I think having to deal with you, pro se, is punishment enough for any misdeeds.
Old 02-05-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Well I guess I would question A LOT of my posts at this point-- My AH texts me ALOT with verbally abusive stuff that I share on here....

In the future- what do I do? Paraphrase?

Just trying to keep myself out of trouble. (I'm in enough as it is) Ha!
Old 02-05-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
A work in progress

Yeah, and I think (Seren will correct me if I'm wrong) you could probably quote a sentence or phrase out of a longer communication. The idea is not to post the whole thing verbatim.
Old 02-05-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Talking

Originally Posted by LexieCat View Post
I think having to deal with you, pro se, is punishment enough for any misdeeds.
LMAO Sooo funny. Just gotta laugh
Old 02-05-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Sotiredofitall View Post
LMAO Sooo funny. Just gotta laugh
me, too. I really DO Feel Sorry for folks that have to deal with me.

I beat Harriet Miers last time I did Open Court Pro Se.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  

Got it.
Old 02-05-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Paraphrasing any communication is always going to be the preferred way to go. An entire sentence can even be used to search for someone, but part of a sentence is fine.

We aren't trying to rain on anyone's parade, but Hammer's story of being discovered here by his wife is one of many examples I have seen. Posting the entire contents of a letter just makes it that much easier for someone to discover your participation here.