Childrens Book "The Brown Bottle"

Old 02-11-2012, 01:28 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Childrens Book "The Brown Bottle"

Just received and read "The Brown Bottle" by Peggy Jones.

This is a very small book (about 20 pages) written in very simple language for kids, about a caterpillar that is seduced by the brown bottle, Penny Jones does a great job of taking a lovely little caterpillar and showing how he is seduced by the brown bottle, how none of his friends can get him to come out of the bottle to take care of himself and prepare for winter, while they all head to their cocoons to receive "The Promise" (of becoming a butterfly), because Charlie stops taking care of himself and will never leave the bottle, he grows frail and the bottle turns cruel to him, all the while he is insistent that he can leave the bottle any time he wants to.

Finally on the day that all the other caterpillars emerge from their cocoons as butterflies Charlie the caterpillar dies frail and alone.

I was really impressed by how well written this book is, I am going to ask my children 11 & 13 to read it and then hopefully discuss it with them.
Old 02-11-2012, 06:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
I AM CANADIAN

interesting...must look it up...thank you for sharing! and its Penny Jones....
Old 02-11-2012, 06:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yes, it is penny jones, the book is available on amazon.
Old 02-11-2012, 07:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((Bill))) - I just have to say...I think it is totally awesome that you're working at ending the dysfunction that alcoholism brings on a family. You're doing some pretty darned good parenting (along with your wife) to stop the cycle with YOUR generation, and that is totally cool

I don't know if the cycle of my stepmom's family will ever stop. My stepsister is an awesome mom, but has a lot of resentments built up and I pray they don't pass down to her kids, but after reading around here, I'm not so sure. Her oldest is grown, spent many years with his dad (not an ACOA), but her youngest are really smart. I have a feeling they pick up on things she's not even aware of.

My stepbrother got off meth, loves his baby girl (1-1/2) but still likes to drink...stepsister is in recovery off of heroin and just realizing her codie and ACOA ways after talking to me. My niece? She's got a long ways to go.

That's a lot of why I read here, in addition to stepmom's ACOA/codie ways have affected me. I appreciate you all!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 02-11-2012, 09:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Amy thanks so much for the encouraging words, I struggle with how much easier my parents had it, they did not have to explain anything, they used fear and intimidation to get their way, I did not dare act up, or talk back because I knew that one or both of them would beat the hell out of me.

It is a lot of work to sit down, to talk to you kids about consequences of their actions, right and wrong, peer pressure, and everything else, my hope is that they will stay off of alcohol and drugs and not scream and beat their own kids (if they choose to have any).

I know you will are a positive infulence in your own family, and a great example as an aunt to those children.

God bless you, and bug hugs.

Bill
Old 02-11-2012, 09:22 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

(((Bill))) Thank you. Myy niece and I are often at odds because I am the ONLY one in her life that is hell-bent on teaching her that actions have consequences. I do think her current bf is a really good influence, but if she gets ticked off at me? It's okay - I've repeatedly told her she can get mad at me, I love her and am simply trying to teach her what I've learned over the years.

The best I can do is set a good example of accepting people for who/how they are and not letting it affect me. She truly has a long way to go - the person closest to her is my stepmom, the raging codie/addict who taught her a pill will make everything better.

I was told to "butt out" on how dad/stepmom were raising her, but now that she's 18? She knows how much I love her, we consider each other "sisters" even though we're 32 years apart, but she's also learned that her manipulation methods don't work on me. I have boundaries and I've yet to let her cross them. She's TRIED, but it doesn't work

She's screamed "I HATE you!!' then called my stepmom in tears, for what she said and she didn't mean it (not ME, but stepmom..apron strings are apparently pretty tough to break).

Generations of A, ACOA and codieness and teenage rebellion are not going to wear off easily, but I'll just keep doing what I'm doing and pray some of it sinks in

Hugs and prayers,

Amy