OT/Hurricane victims/survivors

Old 09-09-2017, 07:51 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT/Hurricane victims/survivors

I wanted to start a thread around all those who have suffered from Harvey's devastation, those who've already been hit by Irma as well as those in its path (including at least one SR member, FireSprite, who is looking at a more or less direct hit), and those bracing for Jose in the next few days.

This could be a place for prayers, well wishes, personal stories, or whatever. I am so sorry for all who have already suffered and so afraid for those who are going to be facing the unfettered strength of Nature soon.
Old 09-09-2017, 07:59 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

My mom heard a story on NPR that she told me about, and I simply can't get it out of my mind or my heart. People were calling in from Houston and surrounding areas, telling what they'd seen and experienced. Then a woman called in, and my mom said you could tell she was struggling to keep from breaking down completely as she spoke. The woman said "virtually all the news so far is out of the cities, and no doubt, what is happening there is terrible. But I live out in the country, and it is terrible here too. When the water began to rise, first my pigs drowned. Then it rose more, and my goats drowned. Now it has risen to the point where my cows are drowning, and there is nothing I can do about it..."

I was so struck by the sheer horrible helplessness of it all--the helplessness of the poor animals as they struggled, became exhausted and finally succumbed, as well as the helplessness of the woman to either save these animals whose lives she is responsible for or to end their suffering swiftly. I cannot imagine the pain, nor can I imagine she will ever forget this time.

My heart hurts for all who have lost something to the forces unleashed in these storms. I know that more will struggle and suffer in the next few days. I wish there was more I could do.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

In October of 2015, my state experienced historic (1,000 year) rainfall and epic flooding. Lives were lost, roads, bridges, homes and buildings destroyed, no water, no electricity...I remember very well getting ready. Batteries, flashlights, bottled water. Then the hunt for water, food, gasoline in the days following. At the end of that month, my husband died.

In October 2016, Hurricane Matthew hit our state. Coastal communities badly damaged, flooding, debris, loss of electricity and running water.

It's now September 2017, and although we will probably experience flooding and tidal surges and some strong winds, we will not be as impacted as the Carribean, Hispaniola, Cuba, and Florida. This is an enormous storm--it covers an area greater than the State of Florida. My prayers and thoughts are with everyone who has been and will be impacted by this storm, by Harvey, and by Jose.

One thing that is happening that no one ever talks about in the national news--more than 880,000 acres of Montana have burned or are burning currently due to out-of-control wildfires. People are losing their homes, the air quality is making it hazardous in Montana and surrounding states. People are being evacuated. It is all so sad.
Old 09-09-2017, 08:29 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

https://theplayerstribune.com/author/tduncan/

This is a very touching article written by a retired NBA player, about the plight of people who live on the U.S. Virgin Islands. He grew up there and was 13 when Hurricane Hugo hit in 1989.

I'm linking this only because it affected me. I see the news reports about those decimated islands and it looks brutal but hearing a first hand account is more powerful.

Prayers for everyone on these forums to come out safely.
Old 09-09-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I live on the east coast of Florida, and I'm so antsy to just get this OVER with. We've been preparing for days.
Old 09-09-2017, 04:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

prayers going out to everyone in Irma's path........heed the warnings, stay safe!
Old 09-09-2017, 06:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

Thinking of everyone affected by the weather and the wildfires. I hope you all come through safe and with your houses intact.
Old 09-09-2017, 06:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thank you, Honeypig. I will continuously pray for people & animals alike. All the victims of this devastation. Hoping that somehow Irma won't deliver as horrible a blow as we're expecting.
Old 09-10-2017, 08:56 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks Honeypig for starting this thread. I am so happy that at this point it is not as bad as what they were predicting. Right now, this hurricane is hitting my sisters house, and my mother's house. My mother lives in a single wide in a mobile park. She did find shelter with a friend that has a cement house. My sister lives in Bradenton, my mom in Hudson. So, I'm still up watching the weather and hoping that my mom's single wide makes it through this. She loves her place because it gives her independence. She is 85, her boyfriend who she lives with is 87. I know they would have my sisters house to go to, but I know that's not what my mother would want.

My prayers and best wishes to everyone that is going through this. There was a lot of damage, but I guess we won't really know for a few days.

Keeping everyone in Irma's path in my thoughts.

((((((((((((((((((hugs))))))))))))))))))
amy
Old 09-11-2017, 06:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

FireSprite texted me last night that she is fine--they were waiting on the final bands of rain and wind to pass overnight.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:35 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

My relative is without power and house has some damage but is ok. My other relatives are fine. They and everyone are in my thoughts.
Old 09-11-2017, 06:43 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

My friends are okay.
She improvised an indoor chicken coop and brought the hens in.
She sent me pictures.
Chicken rescue!
Old 09-11-2017, 08:59 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I am so glad to hear all of this good news from you guys! Thanks for posting; it really cheers me up.
Old 09-11-2017, 11:49 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I think sadly the folks in Florida learned the sad way of witnessing the devastation and destruction in Texas from Hurricane Harvey and hearing that Hurricane Irma was bigger and more powerful, a great many heeded the warnings and evacuated.

Now if we could get some folks here at SR to heed the many warnings we offer, far less damage and destruction to theirs lives would be possible if only they would evacuate dangerous and toxic relationships with A’s.

My family and friends are all ok in Florida!!!
Old 09-11-2017, 02:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thankful the loss of life has been minimal so far.

Good to hear your loved ones are safe.
Old 09-12-2017, 12:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Checking in while I have a signal briefly. All good with us, minor damage on my home from wind but tons of flooding. Still waiting for it to recede and to find out about getting power (which we also need for our well system to have water) restored. Early reports say it might be 10 more days. Super grateful that it was not as devastating as we were expecting and that we were very prepared.
Old 09-12-2017, 02:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

So good to hear from you, FireSprite!
Old 09-13-2017, 05:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Thankful you are ok, FireSprite.