June Carter Cash

Old 05-21-2003, 06:19 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Paused

Lightbulb June Carter Cash

Hi all:

Someone brought this to my attention the other day, and it sent shivers up my spine. Thought I'd share.

"In the last couple of days with the death of June Carter Cash there have been several stories of her courageous attempts to stop her husband Johnny Cash from his many different addictions, one alcohol and another drugs. True or not, romantic or not, the one who is dead is June Carter Cash. Maybe not cause and effect, but often the "courageous" one is worn out first."

Words of warning to us all........
Old 05-21-2003, 06:24 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Eyes

You are right that our health is seriously at risk too, and it is not only the addict who suffers.

However, I followed this about June Carter and Johnny Cash a long time ago, and although she was there for him and encouraged him along the way, he was the one who made the decision and did what he needed to do to shake this terrible addiction.

I believe that this is a relationship that survived addiction and recovery, and in the end were two loving people who worked together to make their lives better and who each have offered a legacy of music, strength and courage.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:30 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Paused

I'm willing to be corrected.

I'm glad to hear that the situation for them may have not been as dismal as I first was led to believe!

But, we've all seen instances where people abuse their bodies and live to be 90. Others, who in the prime of life, careful to do all the right things about eating, exercising, etc suddenly drop over dead.

When we worry about the addict in our lives, we sometimes under-estimate how robust they really are. And, over-estimate how strong we are by taking on too much.

Thanks for the correction, Ann. Don't want to mislead folks here.
Old 05-21-2003, 07:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

Eyes

Sorry, I didn't mean to correct you. I agree wholeheartedly that codependents are at a greater risk than non-codependents because we tend to be caregivers at the expense of our own health. I have seen that happen, in too many instances, also with the elderly - often the caregiver will die before the person they were caring for.

This thread is a terrific reminder that we should never neglect our own health or presume that we are stronger than others.

Sadly, I do think that addicts and alcoholics are at the greatest risk, not just from the abuse, but because of the high crime they are exposed to as well as serious depression that can lead to suicide in too many cases.

I guess we should live life to the fullest, because we never know what tomorrow can bring, but each day is a gift not to be wasted.
Old 05-21-2003, 08:18 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Ann:

Good speaking with you tonight. This is even better than a ftf alanon meeting. I don't need to leave the house and drive in the rain. (I can even sit here in my pajamas.)

What if God wanted us to send HIM a sign? Wow, that's some thought provoking material! I'll remember that next time I feel myself loosing my joy over this stuff.

Have a good evening,
Eyes.