6/6 Language of Letting Go

Old 06-06-2007, 08:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

6/6 Language of Letting Go

You are reading from the book The Language of Letting Go

The Gift of Readiness

Were entirely ready to have God remove all these defects of character.
--Step Six of Al-Anon

We progress to the Sixth Step by working diligently, to the best of our ability, on the first Five Steps. This work readies us for a change of heart, openness to becoming changed by a Power greater than ourselves - God.

The path to this willingness can be long and hard. Many of us have to struggle with a behavior or feeling before we become ready to let it go. We need to see, over and over again, that the coping device that once protected us is no longer useful.

The defects of character referred to in Step Six are old survival behaviors that once helped us cope with people, life, and ourselves. But now they are getting in our way, and it is time to be willing to have them removed.

Trust in this time. Trust that you are being readied to let go of that which is no longer useful. Trust that a change of heart is being worked out in you.

God, help me become ready to let go of my defects of character. Help me know, in my mind and soul, that I am ready to let go of my self defeating behaviors, the blocks and barriers to my life.

From The Language of Letting Go by Melody Beattie ©1990, Hazelden Foundation.
Old 06-06-2007, 08:14 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
came-came to-came to believe

Trust in this time. Trust that you are being readied to let go of that which is no longer useful. Trust that a change of heart is being worked out in you.
I love that---I believe this to be true-
Thank you for this post
Old 06-06-2007, 08:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
full of hope

Thanks, Cynay!

I like this part!

God, help me become ready to let go of my defects of character. Help me know, in my mind and soul, that I am ready to let go of my self defeating behaviors, the blocks and barriers to my life.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Cali & Chero

That one part is so beautiful, that is what gives me hope.....

One day not only will my heart change and be ready .... but his will too and what a great relationship it will be when all of it lines up in His time.
Old 06-06-2007, 09:59 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks Cynay, I view this exert in The language of letting go as "and the walls come tumbling down". Everything built up from the disease that is clouding my perceptions, building the wall around my core.
My spirits are very good at letting me know when its time to let go and be free again

Peace
Old 06-06-2007, 10:13 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
get it, give it, grow in it

Thumbs up Thanks for keeping focused on the solution

Learnig "Letting Go " has literally transformed my life. Way beyond letting go of only child, who is an addict. I'm letting go of perfectionism, control, pent up emotions, my strong-will, fear + doubt + worry, the past, etc. I use to think letting go was weak, but now I know it is freedom & liberation. Learning to truly let go is the greatest skill I've ever learned. Or maybe holding on for dear life had to be unlearned.
Old 06-06-2007, 01:03 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I have been begining to feel this in my heart and soul.

"Trust that you are being readied to let go of that which is no longer useful. Trust that a change of heart is being worked out in you."

And now I cant begin to see it in the material world of my new life......Thank You!