Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Fitness, Health, and Nutrition
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [4]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-13-2013, 12:03 PM   #1 (permalink)

Juicing?

Not so long ago before i went on this crazy binge, I was doing a juice fast. Is there any benefit to juicing when I stop drinking? Like will it help me detox or are there juices that would be better than the regular mean green? TIA.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 05-26-2013, 12:36 PM   #2 (permalink)

Juicing certainly seems to help in detoxing. Even after just a few days sober, and a few days juicing, people will comment on my improved appearance. Feel better too.

As for the best juices, mean green would be good, I think. I just mix it up with a lot of carrots, apples, celery, cucumber, kale, chard, spinach, fennel, parsley, beet, bell pepper, ginger root and probably a few I'm forgetting.

Thing with juicing too, is that it doesn't really go with drinking. Sort of like running and smoking. Sooner or later I think most people would be impelled to choose one and avoid the other (hopefully the one that made you feel good instead of sick).

BTW - my favorite "treat" juice is 4 carrots, 2 oranges (peeled) and a piece of ginger root.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Riel For This Useful Post:
dragon12 (08-22-2013), Elysium (10-30-2013), hypochondriac (07-01-2013)
Old 05-27-2013, 01:13 PM   #3 (permalink)

Are you talking about a juice only diet? Once the alcohol is out.of your system completley there really is no point to a "juice only" diet. Its not good for you and your body naturally disposes of "regular toxins "for on its own. Try clean eating. Fruits,veggies, lean meats cut.oit refined sugars. This will have you feeling prettt goos after a couple of weeks. Oh and lots of water!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Weaver For This Useful Post:
dragon12 (07-29-2013), soberlicious (06-23-2013)
Old 05-28-2013, 05:29 PM   #4 (permalink)

No, not just juice. I am working on improving my diet and wanted to incorporate fresh fruit and veggies juices with it. I"ve seen some of these recipes that say liver cleanse etc and thought that might be beneficial as I am now on my 2nd day of no alcohol and just want to speed up the recovery process to my body which i am sure has been damaged in some way.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:29 PM   #5 (permalink)

I took lots of multivitamin and b12 when i quit drinking
Used to juice bought a really expensive breville juicer but eventually moved on to the nutribullet. It's more diverse than a juicer and I think you're able to get more benefits from eating the whole fruit/vegetable especially so ce you get more fiber from it... Just a thought
My favorite is chocolate protein powder (soy free) pineapple, dried coconut, frozen Ali ch, gogi powder, flax seed and water. Very filling and very delicious !
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ivegotsunshine For This Useful Post:
dragon12 (09-30-2013), Elysium (10-30-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 12:26 PM   #6 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ivegotsunshine View Post
Used to juice bought a really expensive breville juicer but eventually moved on to the nutribullet. It's more diverse than a juicer and I think you're able to get more benefits from eating the whole fruit/vegetable especially so ce you get more fiber from it... Just a thought
Juicing and blending are two different things.

You can juice far more produce than you could ever consume by blending. You can get massive quantities of vitamins and micronutrients juicing, all of which are rapidly absorbed by your body.

But blending is better for soft fruits and herbs.

If I was sick and trying to heal, I'd favor juicing; if I was just trying to eat healthier I'd certainly use the blender more than the juicer.

Ideally it would be best to do both. I do, and without really trying I eat lots of fruit and vegetables, and am probably around 80% raw.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Riel For This Useful Post:
dragon12 (09-30-2013), hypochondriac (07-01-2013)
Old 06-17-2013, 12:38 PM   #7 (permalink)
LDT

I just finished a 3 day "blend". I wasn't ill, and was just doing it as an experiment. I didn't have a juicer, using my NutriBullet and Ninja instead. I like pulp and fiber, so this really worked for me. Aside from a few bizarre and rather off putting juice recipes that I tried ( and never will again) the experience was positive and I will do it again. In fact, I'm getting ready to make a green smoothie as soon as I sign off here.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
dragon12 (08-22-2013), hypochondriac (07-01-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 07:47 AM   #8 (permalink)

I never tried a "juice fast" (I totally bought a juicer with those intentions). Truthfully I just can't do the fasting thing. Though that doesn't mean my juicer was bought in vain. I still make a juice occasionally. My favorite is a whole cucumber, kale, celery, ginger root, carrots, an apple, and a bit of lemon juice.

One thing I've always noticed that's sort of cool is my sinus's clear up almost immediately after drinking a juice. Not that I necessarily pay attention to holistic healing powers, but there is no doubt fruits and vegetables are important for human beings.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to RaiseAnchor For This Useful Post:
applecake (09-30-2013), dragon12 (08-22-2013), Elysium (10-30-2013), hypochondriac (07-01-2013)
Old 06-23-2013, 07:22 PM   #9 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDT View Post
I just finished a 3 day "blend". I wasn't ill, and was just doing it as an experiment. I didn't have a juicer, using my NutriBullet and Ninja instead. I like pulp and fiber, so this really worked for me. Aside from a few bizarre and rather off putting juice recipes that I tried ( and never will again) the experience was positive and I will do it again. In fact, I'm getting ready to make a green smoothie as soon as I sign off here.
We often blend a bunch for fruit for breakfast, its a great way to start the day.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fatandsad For This Useful Post:
dragon12 (08-22-2013), LDT (07-29-2013)
Old 07-01-2013, 03:34 AM   #10 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riel View Post
Juicing and blending are two different things.
I've always been confused by the difference between juicing and blending and when to do which... I only own a blender though so need to go shopping but juicers seem really expensive. Are there any relatively cheap ones out there and are they worth trying? I don't want to spend a fortune on something I may not use much, and a juicer and blender are gonna take up an awful amount of space in my tiny kitchen.

'The less I needed, the better I felt' - Charles Bukowski
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to hypochondriac For This Useful Post:
dragon12 (08-22-2013), LDT (07-29-2013)
Old 07-25-2013, 09:05 AM   #11 (permalink)

I am currently on a juice fast - Day 3. The biggest hurdle for me was not drinking coffee. I had a headache on the first day and took care of that with advil. I find that I am not hungry. There is a good site with loads of information and recipes at Just on Juice. The owner of that site will answer your questions.

The only time I find it difficult is when my husband is eating supper. As long as I don't smell cooked food, I don't have cravings.

I plan on doing the 7 day fast for sure and maybe continue a few more days. When I break my fast, I will transition into fruits and vegetables.

I might not even drink coffee ever again. Kind of interesting not to have any stimulants in the body. I was a bit tired on the first day, but I am not tired now and even did 30 minutes on my treadmill.

If you want to get inspiration for juicing watch the documentary "Fat, Sick and Nearly Dead". It is available on Netflix and also on Youtube.

I'll let you know how I do/feel on Day 7.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LucilleBluth For This Useful Post:
dragon12 (08-22-2013), Elysium (10-31-2013)
Old 07-29-2013, 01:40 PM   #12 (permalink)

If you become bored of juicing then why not make your own ice lollies using fresh juice - since sunner started in London I have been using banana's, mango's, apples etc. I blend then freeze the juice in ice lolly moulds.

Just find a combination you like then enjoy
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to england For This Useful Post:
dragon12 (08-22-2013), Elysium (10-31-2013), SoberJennie (08-21-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #13 (permalink)

I recommend checking out a Nutribullet-- a truly amazing product.
The Following User Says Thank You to TopFlight For This Useful Post:
LDT (08-19-2013)
Old 08-19-2013, 02:14 AM   #14 (permalink)
LDT

TopFlight, I use my NutraBullet every day. I agree, amazing machine. I even bring it ith me when traveling.
Old 08-21-2013, 11:06 PM   #15 (permalink)

Check out Greens First.
I try to juice as much as I can, but because I travel so much I do GreensFrirst when I travel. It is a powder mixture (... I know... Gasp? Right?)
The ingredients are all natural & are packed with micro-nutrients. If you google them and request samples they will send whatever you'd like for free.
When I'm in the car, I do a scoop if protein & a scoop of greens as a lunch supplement-just add water. It's delicious, with it, I stopped all caffeine & get 24g of protein & 15 serving of veggies.
They also have nutrient boosters( to add to your smoothies), berry & alkaline balance, etc.
The Following User Says Thank You to stacia lives For This Useful Post:
Elysium (10-31-2013)
Old 09-29-2013, 03:55 PM   #16 (permalink)

Juicing/Nutribullet

Hello, I gravitated toward this post right away because after seeing pieces of the Nutribullet infomercial a few times I am at the gates of considering it despite it being expensive (I just hope it would last a few years at least).

I do not eat enough fruits and vegetables despite really liking many of them, and I eat a lot of processed/frozen things for lunch at work. It sounds like using this juicer would be a quick and easy way to get healthy food worked in. I love acai juice, but rarely get it because it's about $4 for a bottle (basically a glass) of it...I also know I like this juice that was on a BOGO sale called Raww, I think?....first sip I didn't care for...and that lasted about 5 seconds. I loved it and both bottles (like a glass worth) were gone in about 10 minutes, so...this is why I'm thinking maybe this would not be so bad, to purchase this Nutribullet. The other thing they claim is you only have to rinse it off. I don't care for handling sharp stuff much so...if that is really true, also good.

I may not always be able to get all the items they list for recipes, but even a bananna drink would be a good start - better than what i eat now (and it wouldn't be a bunch of banannas sitting around going bad before I eat them all). So, was glad to see this. If anyone has any further info on juicing and if this Nutribullet is really as good as it sounds, I'd like very much to hear more about it.

Thank you!

Three little birds, sat on my window. And they told me I don't need to worry.
--Corinne Bailey Rae
The Following User Says Thank You to cloudy For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 10:21 AM   #17 (permalink)

I'm interested in juicing but my question is this: Is there any more benefit to juicing than let's say drinking innocent smoothies? I'm pretty pressed for time and don't really have the opportunity to shop for all these fruits and vegetables. It is pretty easy to just grab an innocent when I'm on the go.
The Following User Says Thank You to Oldselfagain For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (09-30-2013)
Old 09-30-2013, 08:34 PM   #18 (permalink)
Groovy Dancer

^ Check the ingredient list on the bottle of Innocent Smoothies. The info I have seen is that some of their drinks have quite a bit of sugar. Others seem not to. There also are some other ingredients in their drinks. Just comes down to what you want to consume, and if you are comfortable with the ingredients. IMHO, it is not as good of an option as making your own, but if you don't have time / the means, it may be a decent alternative.

Cloudy - I don't juice or do shakes. However, I do do a lot of food processing. I know things like blenders / food processors are expensive. However, like you wrote, the pre-made products are pretty expensive too, and in the end it may save money to buy one of these items. Just a thought.
My body's aching and my time is at hand,
I won't make it any other way.

- James Taylor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
cloudy (10-02-2013), LDT (10-30-2013)
Old 10-07-2013, 04:10 PM   #19 (permalink)

You can get used juicers for a lot less, from people who thought they'd use it but never did. Try eBay or a local classified ad group. It's a better way to buy if your not sure if you will like it. I love my juicer, and use it twice a day now.
Old 10-13-2013, 10:08 AM   #20 (permalink)

I ordered a nutribullet today. Can't wait to try it!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Oldselfagain For This Useful Post:
LDT (10-30-2013), TopFlight (10-30-2013)