Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Fitness, Health, and Nutrition
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-01-2011, 03:05 PM   #1 (permalink)
Always, Never & Forever

Plant-based diet

Has/does anyone here experiment with/eat a plant-based diet? I'm just starting to learn about it and am trying to take my meat and dairy products down to no more than 150 calories a day and then decide to cut down some more or not after that trial period. I'm actually pretty excited about it! I watched Forks Over Knives last weekend...which is what has spawned my newest passion. And I ordered the book The China Study from Amazon to read also.

Just curious if anyone here has done something similar? I've tried to be a vegetarian/vegan before for a short period of time but got sidelined by my alcohol addiction and lost my determination for it. Now that I quit alcohol, seems like a wonderful time to eat healthier.

Rule your mind. Or it will rule you.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DrivenHeart85 For This Useful Post:
BennyHill (12-01-2011), DaisyThomas (12-05-2011), GirlFromCO (12-11-2011), Pete55 (12-22-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 06:51 PM   #2 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenHeart85 View Post
Has/does anyone here experiment with/eat a plant-based diet? I'm just starting to learn about it and am trying to take my meat and dairy products down to no more than 150 calories a day and then decide to cut down some more or not after that trial period. I'm actually pretty excited about it! I watched Forks Over Knives last weekend...which is what has spawned my newest passion. And I ordered the book The China Study from Amazon to read also.

Just curious if anyone here has done something similar? I've tried to be a vegetarian/vegan before for a short period of time but got sidelined by my alcohol addiction and lost my determination for it. Now that I quit alcohol, seems like a wonderful time to eat healthier.
DrivenHeart85,
I commend you for your choice. I have tried to go vegetarian before, but my physiology is a bit odd, so it doesn't work out. If I had a private chef and no job, it might be possible. As it is, there are times where my body just seems to need meat. However, I do keep my meat eating to a minimum.
Dairy I have never attempted to stop, nor will I.
"The China Study" is a great book. I also like "The Okinawa Diet" and "The Meditteranean Diet" books as well.
Good luck with this! Keep us posted!
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to BennyHill For This Useful Post:
DaisyThomas (12-05-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 06:57 PM   #3 (permalink)

I have tried it but didn't stick to it. Mine was a 21 day detox diet that cut out all processed foods and dairy. I honestly felt phenomenal. There were about four days when I ate small amounts of lean meat.

Sticking to it permanently was hard. I lost several inches in my waist, slept great and had more energy with out all that junk in my system.

I must admit it consumed a lot of time shopping and preparing all the food. You have to be committed and organized.

I have a hubby and kids that thought I was nuts and it was hard making my food separate from theirs.

Keep us posted on how it goes.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tres For This Useful Post:
DaisyThomas (12-05-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 07:04 PM   #4 (permalink)

Good things take effort but after a while the effort it takes seems more and more effortless as your pantry fills with your new and different choices and your shopping and cooking habits adapt.

I'm trying to start a similar conversation over in the Eating Disorder area. Maybe we can support each other...

I said NO to drugs but they didn't listen.
The Following User Says Thank You to boudiepitbull For This Useful Post:
DaisyThomas (12-05-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 08:10 PM   #5 (permalink)
Always, Never & Forever

I posted on the other thread but want to add that it does indeed take effort. You have to start from scratch with recipes and what to fill your pantry up with etc. There's no more, "Just throwing a frozen pepperoni pizza in the oven." lol Luckily since I've tried this before a couple years ago I still have cookbooks around and know all of the grocery stores in the area that offer organic, whole foods. What I would do for a Whole Foods store here though. I'd probably be broke, but I'd definitely be in heaven!

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DrivenHeart85 For This Useful Post:
boudiepitbull (12-01-2011), DaisyThomas (12-05-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 08:30 PM   #6 (permalink)

I think we're pretty much saying the same thing but maybe I'm a little farther along the continuum with my pantry already stocked and the pepperoni pizzas just a distant memory.

Thank goodness no one has chimed in with the "cruelty to plants" argument yet!

I said NO to drugs but they didn't listen.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to boudiepitbull For This Useful Post:
BennyHill (12-02-2011), catmilkyo (12-30-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 10:25 PM   #7 (permalink)
Groovy Dancer

I think its great you are going to give this diet a try, and I think it is way healthier than the average American diet. Getting rid of the processed foods and a lot of other stuff is commendable. I am a big meat eater, and believe in that. However, we agree on a lot as far as eating fruit / veggies and supporting local organic farms.

I am not looking to start a huge debate, but have to respond to something. There is a whole other side to The China Study. The China Study: Fact or Fallacy? Raw Food SOS: Troubleshooting on the Raw Food Diet This is just one of many rebuttals there are to it. IMHO (and many others) Campbell wanted to prove something, and what data he included and left out did that.

No, I am not suggesting it is cruel to eat plants. I think it is great to eat them! I just don't think eating meat is bad for you. Dietary cholesterol does not affect cholesterol levels in most people (another lie). Fat, including saturated fat, is necessary!

I'm actually not trying to start an argument here. I think a Vegan diet can be healthy (with supps such as B12 which are necessary on a plant diet), and is more healthy than most diets. My complaint is with The China Study.

If you liked Forks Over Knives (which I saw and enjoyed) consider watching Fat Head. If you liked The China Study consider reading a Paleo book, like The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, or The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.

Or just do your thing. It's all good. Again, I think a lot of modern meat eaters and vegans really do have a lot in common.
My body's aching and my time is at hand,
I won't make it any other way.

- James Taylor
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Ghostly For This Useful Post:
BennyHill (12-02-2011), jamdls (12-02-2011)
Old 12-01-2011, 11:52 PM   #8 (permalink)

I went on a plant diet when I was 14. I saw a TV show about how animals are slaughtered and it shocked me. My dad told me if I didn't eat meat I wouldn't get hairs on my chest. But I refused to eat animals again. Once I made the decision to stop, hairs grew on my chest! And my mother and sister have become vegetarian too. I'm 45 now and haven't 'relapsed'. I have two healthy sons, 19 and 10, who have never eaten meat. The facts are there. It is cruel and is no good for the planet. It's simply unsustainable. It's not hard to make the change. It's all about denial. Giving up drugs is far harder! Oh, and just to be clear, my mother and sister do NOT have hairs on their chests (as far as I know).
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to simian66 For This Useful Post:
catmilkyo (12-30-2011), DaisyThomas (12-05-2011), sita71 (02-28-2013), SparklingSeven (12-02-2011), yarnfan (01-06-2013)
Old 12-02-2011, 05:34 AM   #9 (permalink)

Hi DrivenHeart85,

I am a Plant-Based Nutrition Counselor. As you transition, I would suggest that you not not limit your meat and dairy to 150 calories per day, but give yourself just 21 days of a completely meat and dairy-free lifestyle so that you can fully experience how good you can feel. It's much easier to make a clean break than it is to continue to tempt yourself with a little each day. It's like trying to give up smoking. In the end, it's easier to stop cold turkey than to tempt yourself with a few each day in the hope of eliminating them completely.

I don't particularly enjoy cooking and I'm not that good at it but have collected a fair amount of easy to make, healthy recipes that I rely on to feed myself and my family. It can be a lot easier to adopt than most people think.

Best of luck to you. If I can help you with any question you may have, just let me know.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to SoberVegan For This Useful Post:
jamdls (12-02-2011), sita71 (02-28-2013)
Old 12-02-2011, 06:39 AM   #10 (permalink)

Welcome SoberVegan! I'm always on the lookout for new recipes. Perhaps when you have the time you could post some in the Healthy Eating Recipes sticky at the top of this forum. I'm sure we could benefit from your knowledge. Great to have you here.
Old 12-02-2011, 07:10 AM   #11 (permalink)
Always, Never & Forever

Ghostly, thanks for the links! I never like to devote a lifestyle to anything until I hear the counter points! That's why I decided to just go with 10% for now, when I watched the movie I knew there was a whole world of info I needed to catch up with. Plus, they weren't mentioning what kind of meat they were eating. Processed or organic? Low fat or high? Red or white meat? Etc, etc.

Also, I'm not going straight to vegan right now because I'm not convinced that humans shouldn't eat meat. I'm more convinced they should eat it in low quantities but high quality so to speak. The fact that I'd be missing the right form of B12 makes me think that humans should indeed be consuming meat from time to time.

So, I'm still up in the air and my 10% rule is how I'm coping with it until I get in more reading about eating meat. I could take out dairy completely though. Until I see another species trying to drink a different species milk (like pigs having some horse milk), I'll think we're loons about dairy. lol And that's where my true food addiction lies, with high fat dairy. I actually read that casein has addictive qualities.

I would be open for a 21 day vegan only period though....the little voice in my head is saying, "Imagine the weight you'd lose!" lol With Christmas coming up, I'd do it in January though.

Old 12-02-2011, 07:28 AM   #12 (permalink)
Always, Never & Forever

Oh and welcome SoberVegan! It's great to have you here! And a professional counselor on plant-based nutrition...that's awesome! Did your choice for a vegan lifestyle come before or after you got sober? I'm just curious, as my drinking had played a role in my diet consciousness...or lack of diet consciousness anyway. lol

Old 12-02-2011, 08:23 AM   #13 (permalink)

I eat mostly a plant based diet but I do eat seafood 2-3x per month and I do eat eggs. I don 't think meat is bad for people I just don't like the looks, smell, taste, nor texture of it. I was a vegetarian for many years, never vegan, but at my doctors advice I started eating some meat because I wasn't getting enough protein, or something I forget, I'm not a fan of cooking and have lived alone most of my life and eating completely vegetarian requires a lot more effort than I'm willing to devote. For me since I've eliminated most meat along with most grains (pasta/rice/bread) I feel 100% better than I ever did when I was eating those things but that's just me.

"Failure is not falling down but refusing to get up"

"With God all things are possible"
Old 12-02-2011, 08:41 AM   #14 (permalink)

Hey, DH, I don't eat a strictly vegan diet, but it's mostly vegan for about 6 years now. I eat some animal products about once a week, usually when I go out to eat or to someone's home, or about twice a month I'll have some at my home. I stay away from heavy dairy dishes like lasagna, and usually will eat a cheese like gargonzola sparingly as a condiment once in a while.
The key is time management and finding a variety of vegan dishes you enjoy. I'll make a soup, stew or chili about once a week (big pot) and then freeze most of it it in pint containers. If you make a creamy soup (like a winter squash soup that's blended), that can be used as a soup or as a sauce to put over steamed veggies or greens. As the soup simmers, I'll make a main dish. My creed is to make a double or triple batch of anything and freeze the extras. That way you always have something to grab if you don't want to cook or are too tired.
Then as the years went on, my kids bought me a powerful blender for my birthday, so I started making smoothies with fruit and diluted fruit juice with some greens thrown in. That's often my breakfast.
I agree with SoberVegan that it's best to jump in with both feet, but I myself had to do the gradual route since I didn't like a lot of the vegan dishes I was making at first. It took me a couple months of going at it gradually, and then I was 90-95% vegan meals thereafter.
I found that if I have a lot of flour-based products or high-sugar fruits (especially dried fruit), I'll gain weight and not feel that great. I use oil very sparingly but will eat nuts or seeds in my salads. I eat processed vegan food like the frozen burgers and soy ice cream just once in a while. Other than that, I eat everything as much as I want. I did feel a lot better within a few weeks of switching to this way of eating. Eating a lot of leafy greens is really good for the skin, hair and nails, so you might see a difference there, too.
Old 12-02-2011, 08:50 AM   #15 (permalink)
Always, Never & Forever

Thanks SunshineSally...I agree with a lot of what you said. When I was in Weight Watchers I found an amazing vegetable soup recipe and like to make a huge batch of that and then freeze it. Dried fruits and flour-based products are something I'd like to avoid too. Anything with refined white flour is essentially junk food. I decided to stop drinking my orange juice that I was addicted to also...it's natural but it's still liquid sugar, so I bought oranges instead, since I can get the fiber with eating them whole. Even just a couple days into this I've started to feel more like a "happy well-oiled machine". lol I remember when I was a vegetarian before I felt more at peace, was happier and needed fewer naps. Nothing like a cheeseburger to make you want to lay on the couch all day. lol

I ordered a cook book from Amazon called "The Happy Herbivore". It got rave reviews and I'm hoping that will help me build my go-to recipe library for vegan meals.

The Following User Says Thank You to DrivenHeart85 For This Useful Post:
SunshineSally (12-02-2011)
Old 12-02-2011, 09:47 AM   #16 (permalink)

That's great, DrivenHeart, let us know how you like the cookbook. I've gone to the library to check out veggie cookbooks, too. Another thing I like to do is get vegan salads or dishes from Whole Foods sometimes, and if I really like them, I'll copy the ingredients and make my own version of the same thing (much cheaper that way!).
Old 12-06-2011, 11:33 AM   #17 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrivenHeart85 View Post

I love Forks Over Knives as well. I have only been sober for 6 days, but I became a vegetarian almost a year ago. I did the gradual approach as well. I gave up beef, poultry and pork right away, then eventually gave up seafood, and I am working on getting eggs and dairy completely out of my diet. I did it for both health and ethical reasons. I have lost 30 lbs even though I continued to drink.

I just love the knew foods I have discovered: sweet potatoes, edamame, fresh spinach, etc. I am also cooking a lot more and eating so many more fruits and veggies.

So I did the opposite of you. I started eating healthier and then realized I needed to stop drinking too. I am hoping that since I was able to stop eating meat (that I have eaten my entire life), and no longer crave or want it, I will be able to do the same with alcohol.
The Following User Says Thank You to NewWay For This Useful Post:
catmilkyo (12-30-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 06:47 AM   #18 (permalink)
Always, Never & Forever

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ghostly View Post
I think its great you are going to give this diet a try, and I think it is way healthier than the average American diet. Getting rid of the processed foods and a lot of other stuff is commendable. I am a big meat eater, and believe in that. However, we agree on a lot as far as eating fruit / veggies and supporting local organic farms.

I am not looking to start a huge debate, but have to respond to something. There is a whole other side to The China Study. The China Study: Fact or Fallacy? Raw Food SOS: Troubleshooting on the Raw Food Diet This is just one of many rebuttals there are to it. IMHO (and many others) Campbell wanted to prove something, and what data he included and left out did that.

No, I am not suggesting it is cruel to eat plants. I think it is great to eat them! I just don't think eating meat is bad for you. Dietary cholesterol does not affect cholesterol levels in most people (another lie). Fat, including saturated fat, is necessary!

I'm actually not trying to start an argument here. I think a Vegan diet can be healthy (with supps such as B12 which are necessary on a plant diet), and is more healthy than most diets. My complaint is with The China Study.

If you liked Forks Over Knives (which I saw and enjoyed) consider watching Fat Head. If you liked The China Study consider reading a Paleo book, like The Paleo Solution by Robb Wolf, or The Primal Blueprint by Mark Sisson.

Or just do your thing. It's all good. Again, I think a lot of modern meat eaters and vegans really do have a lot in common.

Hey Ghostly, I just wanted to pop back in and say thanks again for your movie and book suggestions! I watched Fat Head last night...it was a one half crappy movie and one half good info on the lipid hypothesis being incorrect. Then I googled the Paleo diet and that reinforced my current hang up with the plant-based diet...all those grains! What's with 6-11 servings of grains??? Anyway, I'll proceed onward with my research and reading, just wanted to say thanks for mentioning those!

The Following User Says Thank You to DrivenHeart85 For This Useful Post:
NewWay (12-09-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 07:37 AM   #19 (permalink)

Driven, I will be interested in knowing how this venture works for you

I have tried to go vegan before for reasons varying from how animals are raised and slaughtered , to spiritual beliefs. The reason I have failed also varies from not having much time to cook on most days, so for me, it is easier to just fall back on tried and true and easy , and also to the fact that I am married to a die hard carnivore.
I have been successful at adding more meatless meals to my day. I don't know that I could ever forgo eggs and milk, yogurt and ice cream, but do buy only organic eggs and milk.
My Buddhist beliefs really had me stumped on the whole subject of what to eat until I did research and found out that Buddah never said don't eat meat and that many Eastern Buddhist will eat meat if others have prepared it. It is mostly the India Buddhist and the Western Buddhist that are vegan. So.... that being said....
I have decided recently to give up beef, and eventually will add pork and then go from there until poultry and fish is omitted too. I am taking it one step at a time.
Getting some great ideas on books from this thread
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to OwlFeathers For This Useful Post:
BennyHill (12-10-2011), NewWay (12-09-2011)
Old 12-08-2011, 06:08 PM   #20 (permalink)

drivenheart!! so good to meet you. i am all about eating plant based. i have never felt better when i eat this way and am sober. the china study is like my bible! lolol. but really, it changed my life. after i read it, i bought it for everyone in my family. it is incredible. eating vegan just alligned with my beliefs and values..i felt more calm and centered and energetic eating vegan. not to mention my skin was glowing! seriously, people asking what i was doing! i hope to get back to that state soon. )
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to luckylilshark For This Useful Post:
DrivenHeart85 (12-09-2011), NewWay (12-09-2011)