Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Fitness, Health, and Nutrition
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [5]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-10-2011, 01:59 AM   #1 (permalink)

Hair loss, skin & alcohol effects.

I've read and googled, and realized that baldness, and hair speaks a lot of the health. Recently, i have shdded a lot more than normal, and have attributed to age. When i asked other people that are balding, they told me it has nothing to do w/ anything but w/ genetics.

I'm sure there is some connection w/ drinking and hair.

Was hoping someone can type or chime.

Thank.s
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-10-2011, 09:14 AM   #2 (permalink)
6/20/08

Hi Froglet and welcome to SR.

Alcohol affected so many aspects of my life that I simply closed my eyes to. One was hair loss. Towards the end of my drinking career, I was clogging the shower drain with lost hair. That is just me. Please see a doc if you are concerned.
The Following User Says Thank You to coffeenut For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (06-10-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 09:26 AM   #3 (permalink)
Not Powerless, but Empowered!

ditto....i lost almost 50% of my hair while drinking heavily for 3-4 months...it clogged the drain, the brush and my hairdresser told me that he could not cut my hair in the usual way.

I stopped drinking in Feb. 10 and started losing heavily in March. ( i'm female, usually had a very thick mop of fine textured hair). the loss was sudden and my hairdresser attributed it to a lot of stress (which is what the drinking was doing to my body)...as i got sober, i paid more attention to my diet, took supplements/vitamins, including iron, B-complex,biotin and switched to a non-detergent shampoo. Happy to say that after 16 months, most of it is back to normal.

you should also check your nails for ridges, splitting which can be a sign of poor diet.

tell your doctor how much you've been drinking and give him/her a rundown of your typical diet....if you're existing on vodka and cheetos, you are robbing your body.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fandy For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (06-10-2011), scared1 (06-13-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 10:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Groovy Dancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
if you're existing on vodka and cheetos, you are robbing your body.
Wow...that brings back memories.

I'm bald (kinda choice, kinda not), and was that way before I drank, so not much advice from me.

Good luck Frog.
My body's aching and my time is at hand,
I won't make it any other way.

- James Taylor
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 06-10-2011, 03:36 PM   #5 (permalink)

My complexion was ruddy and spotty when I drank (I thought it was just me) and I noticed an alarming widening of my hair part.

Today my complexion is clear and pale (I sometimes even need blush!) And my part has narrowed again.

Please see a doctor if you are concerned.

There is no room for fear in a grateful heart.
Old 06-10-2011, 03:42 PM   #6 (permalink)
Not Powerless, but Empowered!

it's very true...You are what you eat....(and drink)....my hairdresser also advised me to hang my head upside down from the bed or seated position 2X a day to help with blood flow to the scalp...DO NOT do this if you have HTN. (elevated BP).
The Following User Says Thank You to Fandy For This Useful Post:
LaFemme (06-16-2011)
Old 06-10-2011, 08:16 PM   #7 (permalink)

I've read about alcohol robbing nutrients and hurting the body.
The Following User Says Thank You to Froglet For This Useful Post:
LaFemme (06-16-2011)
Old 06-15-2011, 08:51 PM   #8 (permalink)

I had a horrible mutant form of ezcema while drinking. The docs had given me predisone shots, pills, light therapy, and countless creams. 3-4 months after I stopped drinking beer, my skin looked radiant again.

WORRYING does not take away tomorrow's TROUBLES, it takes away today’s PEACE...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to indakut For This Useful Post:
LaFemme (06-16-2011), scared1 (04-04-2012)
Old 06-16-2011, 08:51 AM   #9 (permalink)

I lost so much hair at one point during my drinking, I could grab a bunch at a time that would come out of me.
My hairdresser kept telling me she had never seen anything like that, and asked if I was under stress and recommended vitamins and seeing my doctor.
Now it's been 6 months since I drank, and the loss is getting back to normal, and I think I'm even seeing new growth again and my natural curl is coming back.
The Following User Says Thank You to Muunray For This Useful Post:
scared1 (06-21-2011)
Old 06-16-2011, 01:21 PM   #10 (permalink)

Hopefully I can regrow and regain. I didn't realize the body takes a few months to heal. I guess I'm not young like before and realize how fragile my body really is.

Thanks everyone.

I've been doing a lot better, eatting well.
The Following User Says Thank You to Froglet For This Useful Post:
Ghostly (06-18-2011)
Old 06-19-2011, 07:43 AM   #11 (permalink)

Know lifetime bigtime alcohol drinkers whose skin is aging faster than a speeding bullet. The affects are prominently showing up as they approach 50. Where as many other family members don't have the same problems or conditions at an older age. I notice alot of dry skin including alot of dark freckels & spots along with cracking,scaling and/or leathery skin. They had scattered grey hair by their late 20s.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:38 AM   #12 (permalink)

I am prone to psoriasis (red marks like a form of excema), have been ever since I was a kid. Drinking definitely makes it worse--during periods of "normal" drinking it would always be around, more or less, and I had to use creams to get it to go away. My last bender left me with the worst breakout I have ever seen in my life, it was disgusting. Also my hair fell out faster than normal, as I am in the very first stages of Male Pattern Baldness.

I am happy to say, however, that I have almost three months sober now, and have not had a single breakout and my hair even looks better. I'm young (24), but always am surprised at how quickly your body begins to bounce back. If there is any doubt in your mind that alcohol and these things are connected, banish it now. Furthermore, you have only great things to look forward to when you stop drinking. I have lost weight, my skin looks better, my hair looks stronger, and altogether I look 10 times healthier than I did before.

It's to the point now where I look at old pictures of myself and I think "who is that zombie?". All I can do is laugh about it now, but like I said, if you have stopped, it's only up from here.

Cheers,

FF
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to finrodfelagund For This Useful Post:
Froglet (06-27-2011), grateful101010 (07-07-2011), scared1 (04-04-2012)
Old 06-29-2011, 02:26 AM   #13 (permalink)
Freethinker in Heart of Dixie

I too lost hair in major clumps in the shower after a week of heavy drinking. And it clogged the drains... I even developed the habit of kind of pulling out the hair that was loose and setting it aside on the side of the tub just so I wouldn't clog the drains. I know I've lost some thickness I had in my 20's. Thankfully and amazingly I'm not grey very much at all, unlike my mom and my aunt who greyed in their 20's. I've even read you can stop greying with certain minerals. I forgot which, but I think it may be copper.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:25 PM   #14 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thequest View Post
Know lifetime bigtime alcohol drinkers whose skin is aging faster than a speeding bullet. The affects are prominently showing up as they approach 50. Where as many other family members don't have the same problems or conditions at an older age. I notice alot of dry skin including alot of dark freckels & spots along with cracking,scaling and/or leathery skin. They had scattered grey hair by their late 20s.
My father isn't bald, but he has thinning hair. I suspect I have those genes as my mom's hair is fuller/thicker naturally. Both my folks don't drink and despise drinking.

For myself, I didn't have much white/grey hair, occasionaly 1-2 here and there, while my other friends would have sprouts already.

I hope to see better results in a few months as I believe I have male pattern baldness mixed w/ alcoholic problems. Hope my hair becomes thicker and fuller.
Old 07-07-2011, 03:37 PM   #15 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Although I don't know, I would imagine that excess alcohol is stressful on the body, and stress can cause hair loss. Before being diagnosed with diabetes, I was losing hair in droves!
Old 07-12-2011, 01:43 AM   #16 (permalink)

Sometimes, I would scratch my hair a bit and when I look at my fingers, I could see strands being pulled out of the same length.
Old 08-10-2011, 04:44 PM   #17 (permalink)

Any idea or concrete evidence?
Old 08-17-2011, 02:07 PM   #18 (permalink)

I'm 43 and have been drinking for about 13 years and have no hair loss or signs of it, at least yet. Just thought I'd mention that since it may not effect everyone. I've actually never heard that drinking could effect hair loss. It's kind of scary to think of.
Old 08-17-2011, 02:28 PM   #19 (permalink)
Freethinker in Heart of Dixie

I think it's associated with mineral & vitamin deficiency. My hair loss has slowed down. I think it's probably considered "normal" at this point. I've been sober for over 50 days. I also try to drink plenty of water... I think dehydration also has something to do with it. And I've been using pure coconut oil on my skin & hair now for over 3 years... this is the perfect moisturizer. I wouldn't think of using anything else ever again. I go days and sometimes a couple weeks without needing to wash my hair. It smells great and this keeps it moisturized. I would've thought this a nutty idea five years ago, but after reading about people going no-shampoo and the benefits... it makes sense.
Old 09-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #20 (permalink)

Just wanted to bump this.