Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Fitness, Health, and Nutrition
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [8]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-21-2009, 04:42 AM   #1 (permalink)

Concerned about my fatty liver diagnosis!

Hi
I'm still drinking however i am having 2-3 days off a week, sometimes 4 which is good compared to my daily drinking i once did!

I have had an uncomfortable warm feeling in my liver area, like a bruised feeling, which has never gone away & is there mostly after a heavy night, but also there in general!

I went to my doctors 3 times, had 3 blood tests for liver function & all have come back clear except for a little fatty deposits!

I went to the hospital walk-in centre & was examined & the physician said i have no swelling, the edges of my liver are normal, urine test ok etc!, but i still have a pain!

The doc says it is probably anxiety (which i have), or posture or sport injury!
I'm concerned about all i hear about malpractice!

Does anyone have a fatty liver & can tell if they suffer discomfort?

Thanks

wf
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-25-2010, 04:18 PM   #2 (permalink)

I've never been to the doctor, no insurance but have a liver pain that is constant for a couple of years. I have been drinking heavily for 20 years. I stopped for 32 days last year and it got much better, but started up again and wham its back. Sometimes a sharp stabbing pain after very heavy days. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind its alcohol related. I know something is very wrong. SO...attempting a quit again. The alcohol is killing me. And I have major abdominal fluid retention.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to KissMyTiara For This Useful Post:
mercurial me (01-31-2010)
Old 01-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #3 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KissMyTiara View Post
I've never been to the doctor, no insurance but have a liver pain that is constant for a couple of years. I have been drinking heavily for 20 years. I stopped for 32 days last year and it got much better, but started up again and wham its back. Sometimes a sharp stabbing pain after very heavy days. There is absolutely no doubt in my mind its alcohol related. I know something is very wrong. SO...attempting a quit again. The alcohol is killing me. And I have major abdominal fluid retention.
I am no Dr. but those are serious symptoms. Have you consulted a Dr. on this?
Old 01-25-2010, 05:53 PM   #4 (permalink)

Fatty liver is the beginning of an ever-worsening spectrum of liver diseases that make up alcoholic liver disease (ALD). In and of itself, if it is "only" fatty liver, it is very reversable...the less alcohol you consume the quicker it reverses. Depending on your reference, a healthy person (meaning: no hepatitis A,B,C,etc, diabetes, obesity, other substance abuse, etc..) with TOTAL ABSINENCE will get back to a normal liver in 4-12 weeks. However, continued consumption of alcohol will progress to alcoholic hepatitis and cirrhosis (scarring) which is NOT reversable.

BTW fatty liver is considered painless and afflicts up to one-third of the western population. It can be diagnosed by cat scan, ultrasound or liver biopsy but NOT by blood tests.
Old 01-26-2010, 03:53 AM   #5 (permalink)

My doctor did diagnose me with fatty liver after my ultrasound last year, but since then i've had blood tests that have come up ok!
The doc said that fatty liver is usual in most people nowadays & she gave me some medication called Omaprazole which has taken the pain away!

I have told my doc that my drinking has been reduced, that i have 2-3 days off & she is pleased with me, but i still drink heavily the next 3-4 days!
Old 01-31-2010, 03:53 AM   #6 (permalink)

Thats what worries me, i have been on all the forums & seen pictures & it has initially scared me but after a few days i've gotten back into drinking again!

My doc seems happy that i've cut down & that by having a few days a week off, it will dramatically help me.
I've had an examination by hospital & by doctor & they both say that my liver feels healthy & not swollen!

I'm going to be having regular blood tests, next one in April & i've made a deal with my doctor that if i've not cut down more or if my results come back worse than my last, i will then go back to the substance misuse clinic & do the programme that they do of either inpatient or outpatient, under supervision of a counselor & using Acamprosate to reduce my cravings!
I think that will work for me, its the initial days that are worse for me, the moodyness & feeling of 'is this it!!'
Old 01-31-2010, 03:34 PM   #7 (permalink)

Hi
I actually think that when you say drinking is a progressive thing, i think you mean people on here & alcoholics!!
I am not an alcoholic!, i can go without, have days away & love the clarity i have & the days away, feeling great, less toxic, i even hate drink when i'm free! I drink because of lonliness & having nothing better to do in my life, not because i need it!

That its a progressive illness is i think dubious!! I am drinking far less now than i was 2 years ago, so am wondering where i progressed to! I think i progressed to drinking less!! So thats good progress & i don't want to drink more than i did!!

I don't drink heavily on the days i drink, i just drink less, still way to much, but less & i don't drink to make up for the days i don't drink!!

This is the thing, i am loving my way that i am doing things, yet i know its still bad!!

The medical way of it all is the route for me, not AA, i been there & done that. I need antabuse meds & then i CAN't drink!! I can't wait!
Old 04-06-2010, 01:05 AM   #8 (permalink)

Hi Sarah, your advice for waterface is helpful for me, I am trying (I am) day three of trying to stop drinking 3-5 times a week, and moderately at those times, but even just with doing that I feel I death sentence over my head - that will arrive in ten years that is. I have drunk progressively less over the last five years, but tick tock...it was good to read your warnings. Day to day where I am drinking is normalised, along with turning a blind eye to why we need to chill out with a drink. I hope you are on track with what will work for you waterface, just be a bit careful in that your absorption of minerals and vitamins is not the best on days alcohol is taken so have heaps the other days This helps ward off indirect health issues coming out of drinking.

Take care
Old 04-06-2010, 05:50 AM   #9 (permalink)

Location: Overseas... on the shore of an uncharted desert isle.
I had a fatty liver for many of the years I was drinking. It was first indicated by constant slightly elevated (sometimes high - especially a day or two after a heavy night of drinking) liver enzymes in my regular blood tests and then confirmed by a simple ultrasound scan.

No pain issues at all. Also had high cholesterol levels. Also, I did not drink everyday and when I did, I only ended up drinking to levels I later regretted about every 4th or 5th time.

The "problem" with such a condition was its commonality/normalcy coupled with the knowledge that such a condition is usually 'reversible'. For a natural procrastinator like me, it meant I'd fret about it for bit and then quickly forget it as I'd get around to it "someday". Of course, most people know or are told that in some cases, a fatty liver might one day "tip" for the worse and become cirrhotic - a condition usually viewed as 'irreversible' in many cases.

Fortunately for me, it wasn't a case of my liver failing that inspired me to quit drinking. There were other reasons. However, after I quit, I was rewarded within a month or two with amazing great health benefits. I shed body fat without effort - currently more than 8 kilograms - and both my elevated liver enzymes and cholesterol levels dropped for the first time in a long time to normal levels.

I have no way to prove it, but I am pretty certain I've added a few - if not several - years of additional life expectancy.

And, whether or not you consider yourself an alcoholic, although I am certain it sounds difficult and maybe even unnecessary, quitting the drink for good for the benefit of your health is something you ought to seriously consider. Don't wait for a medical emergency!
Old 04-06-2010, 11:37 AM   #10 (permalink)

Hi homeandaway,

Congrats on deciding to get sober and welcome to SR. Your body will be much appreciated with your newfound sobriety, I know mine was, it is still trying to feel the way it was in high school. I see you are reading Deepak Chopra how is it? My mom has given me some really neat books similar to what you are reading. I am currently reading Being in Balance by Dr. Wayne Dyer. Anyway stick with it and dont give in, the first days are the toughest and your almost there. I am going to my blog now to reply to your post.

You can do it...You can do it...

MahiMahi