Alcoholic sister with a baby....

Old 07-19-2017, 06:21 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Alcoholic sister with a baby....

I am at my wits end, I don't know what to do anymore. My sister has had a drinking problem for over 5 years and I have tried to help her as best i could to stop but everything I do does not work. She'll stop for a few months bit then will start again and do it secretly so her husband won't know. He works the graveyard shift so she does her drinking when he leaves for work. Her situation is very unique. She has a 20 month old toddler and she is deaf and legally blind. I am very worried for her son. He is underweight and she neglects him. When her husband leaves for work and she starts drinking she ignores her son, leaves him crying until he falls asleep and doesn't put him to bed because she falls asleep on the couch and I don't really know if she puts him to bed or not. The problem is she's deaf and cant hear him if he wakes up crying.
In the past the police have come to her home many times because of her violence towards her husband while she's drunk. The police will take her to the hospital for a couple days and then she's back home like nothing happened. And the cycle begins again. I feel that because she is deaf that she gets away with a lot because a hearing person who assaults someone would get arrested. Everyone is more concerned about her feelings than her son. Child services has visited her but they won't do anything even with all the records and reports against her.
I feel so sad for her baby but I don't know what to do. I'm afraid that one of these days he's going to end up in the hospital.
Any advice?
Old 10-02-2017, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi

Hi Marial_83
I'm so sorry to hear you are going through this and your concern for your sisters baby (understandably). I guess I would say keep contacting child services, sometimes it takes repeated calls to get a response, if you can document evidence. Please look after yourself too, I have realised how important boundaries and not rescuing are. My sister has had an alcohol problem for years, she is also deaf but lip reads well, when she wants to! There are no magic solutions, they can only come from the addicted person, just wanted to let you know someone is listening, I hear you. Can't make it better or solve anything, are there any carer services for you? (Are you in the U.K.)? They can help support you and I know everyone here told me to go to Alnon meetings, whatever works for you, but support is good.