Long time gone

Old 03-06-2017, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Long time gone

I posted here several years ago about a son with heroin addiction. That son moved from 1, 2, 3 inpatient rehabs. First he never completed. #2 and #3 he completed but was kicked out of sober living between months 1-2. He is on the other side of the U.S. I have provided no money for 18+ months and he past age 26 so there are no insurance benefits. He's homeless, unemployed, HIV positive. I have spoken to several docs (when he turns up at hospitals overdosing) who have assured me that in the state of CA he has access (should he want to use them) of resources for sobriety, food, shelter, and employment. For my own sanity, I've had to detach. For the most part, I am no contact, again, for my own sanity and serenity.

I'm here now b/c of a son who is an alcoholic. This is a younger son. He was (honorably) discharged after an alcohol incident from the military. It appears that was his rock bottom. Within a few days of discharge he checked himself into an inpatient substance abuse program. I attended family weekend Fri-Sun. It was good b/c it gave us an opportunity to talk and for me to attend an open AA meeting with him....I heard him say..."Hi my name is ____ and I'm an alcoholic." It was a relief to hear him admit that openly.

I'm glad to have this site as a resource (again).

qwer1234