Update on my son

Old 02-20-2017, 04:22 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Update on my son

I haven't posted in a while. My son had a alcohol problem for years. He moved away over a year ago and the alcohol problem followed him to his new state. He got a dui which was a blessing from God. He spent an night in jail as well which got his attention. Not enough though to quit drinking. He kept drinking and when he did he was horrible. Although he was thousands of miles away, the drunk texting and drunk phone calls to myself and his girlfriend persisted. His girlfriend broke up with him and then he went into a depression with thoughts of suicide. (they are back together again) We ended up flying to see him and finding a doctor to help him. He did see him for a few visits and as usual gave up. Luckily though probation started and is still going for a few months yet. He has been clean for 4 months and I have noticed a change in him. He got his first "real" job about 5 months ago and was so excited for it. It didn't turn out so well and he is now starting a new job in a few weeks. The new job said they don't drug screen which he could actually pass it now. However on the job offer letter it states " job offer is contingent on passing the background check and drug screen (where applicable)" He is worried about that and is hesitant to leave the job that is making him depressed and miserable. He is afraid that in a few months they will drug test. He plans on smoking weed on the weekends once he is off of probation. I didn't feel they would train him and then drug test because that would be a waste of money. He lives where it is legal and it is more potent. I am so afraid. BUT as was stated in another post.... this is our child's life not ours. They are making the choices.
Old 02-20-2017, 07:38 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's so hard especially when we don't like their choices!!

((hugs))
Old 02-20-2017, 08:01 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for the update hummingbird1094.

I hope one day your son will be ready to give up everything - I know it must be hard to watch.

D.
Old 02-21-2017, 04:08 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Thank you, hummingbird, for sharing your update! We can only hope and pray that they will finally begin to make that next right choice--and encourage them.
Old 03-11-2017, 07:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

((hugs)) to you. I'm hoping he does well in his job.
Old 03-12-2017, 08:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for the update, hummingbird. I don't like weed, and it saddens me when close family members use it regularly.
But...it's not my life or my choice to make.