Any high functioning addicts?

Old 01-11-2017, 06:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Any high functioning addicts?

We have a high functioning addict (young adult) son. He is dual diagnosis and honestly I believe that his many concussions contribute to his behaviors. This site saved us many years ago from family destruction....we are going on 7 years of us recovering and him not so much. He is quite possibly one of the smartest people I know. This is what lead us to the label high functioning addict...never stole, self supportive business owner..... But, the frequency of legal troubles are increasing. He needs to have someone help him channel his "smarts" and correct those behaviors. Does anyone have experience with high functioning addicts? Any successful tools to share? Any recovery centers you'd suggest? He is open to help but easily discouraged unfortunately.
Old 01-11-2017, 06:24 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MRSH4 View Post

Does anyone have experience with high functioning addicts?
Known many high functioning addicts over the years.
Some even held government positions for 20 years.
But, it seems that most all eventfully fall.
Treatment and then continued sobriety seems to be the best way out.
M-Bob
Old 01-19-2017, 09:21 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

My X husband is a high functioning addict. He has a very good job with the state. His addiction ebbs and flows as to how bad it is, but it's always there, mixed with some mental issues I believe.

Your son has to want it. He has to want to be well. If he is going to go to a facility, I recommend one that is longer than the standard 30 days, and a dual diagnosis facility. Check them out, a lot, before hand, there is a wide variety of differences in facilities.
Old 01-21-2017, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm new to this support group but yes I know what you talking about my husband works everyday

Originally Posted by MRSH4 View Post
We have a high functioning addict (young adult) son. He is dual diagnosis and honestly I believe that his many concussions contribute to his behaviors. This site saved us many years ago from family destruction....we are going on 7 years of us recovering and him not so much. He is quite possibly one of the smartest people I know. This is what lead us to the label high functioning addict...never stole, self supportive business owner..... But, the frequency of legal troubles are increasing. He needs to have someone help him channel his "smarts" and correct those behaviors. Does anyone have experience with high functioning addicts? Any successful tools to share? Any recovery centers you'd suggest? He is open to help but easily discouraged unfortunately.
I can totally understand this post I live it with my husband he works everyday to the best he can but he's got to be on some substance to do anything
Old 01-21-2017, 10:46 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by hopeful4 View Post
My X husband is a high functioning addict. He has a very good job with the state. His addiction ebbs and flows as to how bad it is, but it's always there, mixed with some mental issues I believe.

Your son has to want it. He has to want to be well. If he is going to go to a facility, I recommend one that is longer than the standard 30 days, and a dual diagnosis facility. Check them out, a lot, before hand, there is a wide variety of differences in facilities.
Hi I'm new to this support group trying to find a forum close to my story I'd say I'm with a functioning spouse that is a great person and I love him so much that why this pain is so deep and it's quite complicated and I'm not sure what to do I'm a wife praying for him to be normal and healthy for his family he loves us all so much but our kids are grown up now and find him embarrassing if anyone can relate message me I'm dealing with a new love prescribe to him adderal addiction I call it my new voyage with him