Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Eating Disorders
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [1]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 05:41 PM   #1 (permalink)
Ann
Grateful Member

Angry I Quit Smoking and Can't Stop Eating

Well so much for my New year's resolutions. I did quit smoking, and so far it has been not as difficult as I anticipated.

HOWEVER....I am contantly eating. I am trying to stick to veggies, baked prezels, and low cal stuff....but I am constantly chomping away on something. Sugarless gum helps a lot, but I am afraid to step on the scale.

Back to the drawing board....but minus cigarettes.

Hugs
Ann

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-08-2004, 07:06 PM   #2 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Hey Ann, don't get down on yourself at all. That's bery normal....what you are doing, which I'm sure you are aware of, is trading one addiction for another. And because food in available.....it is the usual trade!!! As long as you stick to those foods that are healthy, you shoud really be fine. Veggies and anything low cal and or fat free shouldn't add any weight......plus the gum. You could grab for the water bottle instead..... hee hee. You know I had to throw that in!!!! try friuts also....like apples in slices....anything to keep your hands and mouth busy. As you get past the big cravings as time goes on you'll need the munchies less. At least that's the theory.....lol worth a try, don'tcha think!

I wouldn't freak to much........just remember healthy stuff and then after a while start to taper off on that also. For you, you have to decide on which of the two "evils" is the priority.....which I'm sure you already know and I shouldn't even be saying this!! lol

Keep checking in....I want to know how you are doing with it!

The sun always rises, and a new day begins.

Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 01-08-2004, 07:15 PM   #3 (permalink)
Ann
Grateful Member

Pony

It's weird, because I smoked sporadically. My husband hates it, so I never smoked in the house when he was home, so it's not like I am not used to sitting around not smoking.

But since I quit, I am just reaching for something all the time. And I am actually hungrier too.

I really am going to try to get back on track, and also to start walking again.....we have had blizzards all week and it is about 20 below zero right now, so walking isn't an option.

But I am not giving up.

Hugs
Ann

Old 01-08-2004, 07:40 PM   #4 (permalink)
Forum Leader

I know you won't give up! It's probably because of the chemical change in your body without the nicotine.....also quitting is in the formost part of your thinking......either one can contribute to the sudden increase in your appetite.

The best part is that you are fully aware of this going on with you and that's a very important thing. It's the first step, you know, to doing something about it. lol I have complete faith in you Ann. You are good!

You kow what I have found that has done me good.....since I am unable to attend the gym at this time and want to keep up with my excerise......and I when I can't get out and hike with my friend.....I put on music and dance! (no-one here to see me look like a fool) Any type of music you like and just move to the music.......fast, slow or somewhere in between; doesn't amtter as long as you have constant movement for up to about 20 -30 mins. I like my country music and boy do I get some good moves in with those songs. It is a good thinkg no one can see me...

Old 01-09-2004, 01:46 AM   #5 (permalink)
Grace Under Fire

Ann,

When I quit (I lived on cigarettes and
coffee) I felt like I was starving to death. I had to eat every two hours or I would get faint and shaky. I gained 10 pounds really quick. This went on for about two to three
weeks (I chewed ALOT of gum also), but it
got easier and I started eating less. I did
stock up on fresh fruit, veggies, and nuts.
I also had a sweet tooth that came out of
nowhere and I just went ahead and indulged.
My whole purpose was to quit smoking and
I did what I had to do LOL
The good news is I stabilized, started
eating "normal" and was losing the weight.
So I think you will too.

Hugs,

(Drink lots of water)
Old 01-09-2004, 06:49 AM   #6 (permalink)
Ann
Grateful Member

Thanks Pony and Josie!!! You make me feel a lot better.

I am still going to watch what I eat, because I tend to gain weight easily if I don't watch it, and I think the weight gain would discourage me more than the cravings.

So I am off to buy more low cal nibblies. The sweet craving isn't too bad - I think the diet pop and sugarless gum takes care of that. And I remember reading somewhere that red licorice was the best choice of candy - I think it may have even been Atkins or somewhere, but red licorice it is!!!

Hugs and Thanks
Ann

Old 01-09-2004, 11:50 AM   #7 (permalink)
It is what it is!!!

I have nothing more to offer Ann except....yep uh huh, what they said!!

And my support of course.

I know more about how to live than I did yesterday, but not as much as I'll know tomorrow. Today, Ill learn something new~JFT, 1/27/06
The difference between a good day and a bad day, is about 2 days~Ann of SR
Old 01-09-2004, 12:22 PM   #8 (permalink)
Ann
Grateful Member

I'm doing better today. One thing I am doing different is I am spreading my meals wayyyy out.

I got up and had my coffee (of course!!), then about an hour later had a couple of eggs, then about an hour later, reheated a couple of pieces of bacon....did the same kind of thing with lunch and hopefull will try it with dinner.

That keeps me eating most of the day, but not anymore than I would eat at 3 sittings.

I still miss my walking, but it is a very sunny minus 20 today (which is about eight below zero American). So I went for a drive instead LOL.

The good news is I haven't smoked even one.

Old 01-09-2004, 01:53 PM   #9 (permalink)
It is what it is!!!

You went outside in 8 below and drove :saywhat?: Are you crazy???? Walk around the house instead!!! Do some laps around the coffee table or something, but for goodness sake, don't go outside. It is in the 40's right now here, I am in my sweats with the heater on and am not going outside until this evening cause we have dinner plans and even then I am not thrilled about it!!!

I am proud of you not smoking Ann, I know it is not always easy. For me my body didnt' crave the nicotine or anything, but I did gain some weight, the hardest time for me was in the car. I always smoked in the car, even just to run to the store.

I know more about how to live than I did yesterday, but not as much as I'll know tomorrow. Today, Ill learn something new~JFT, 1/27/06
The difference between a good day and a bad day, is about 2 days~Ann of SR
Old 01-09-2004, 05:30 PM   #10 (permalink)
Ann
Grateful Member

LOL - It was very sunny and beautiful out, Paulie, and our cars have antifreeze so they are fine (and well heated).

Well it's 7:30 and I have finished all my meals today......so will try to keep to the diet pop and maybe a banana before bed.

Old 01-09-2004, 07:12 PM   #11 (permalink)
Forum Leader

You are doing really great Ann. I, too, am very proud of you!!!

You didn't like the dancing idea above Huh? LOL It's good indoor activity!

Old 01-09-2004, 07:36 PM   #12 (permalink)
Ann
Grateful Member

Pony - I LOVE the indoor dance idea. I'm just waiting for my hubby to go out of town to work again, so I have no witnesses LOL.

Old 01-09-2004, 10:54 PM   #13 (permalink)
Forum Leader

LOL- That's when I do it....when no-one is home!!!!! Which is daily when I am home for my morning break time from work!! Want to know something funny.........I am usually dancing around here while I am online here in the morning. I read and get caught up...respond to few.....and then when there's not much activity...I put the music on in the next room...turn it up and I am standing in front of the computer movin` to the grove of country music (of course)!!!!! OK, now it's out.....my secret.....YES, it is confirmed.....I'm crazy! lol

Old 01-10-2004, 06:24 AM   #14 (permalink)
Ann
Grateful Member

They can't prove you crazy if they can't see you LOL. I will need to watch my windows - we are fairly new here and I don't want my neighbours to think I am nuts! Actually, they may think I am a great broadway dancer, recently retired .

Old 01-10-2004, 07:26 AM   #15 (permalink)

When I tried to quit smoking I didn't have eating problem. I'm quite thin (even if I eat a lot of sweets) and I run. Now I want to try quit smoking again cos I'm coughing too much. It wasn't a smoking cigs period before the christmas holidays. But during the holidays I went to a friend of mine in Rome. I started smoking on the train. I asked to have a place in the smoker's wagon. It was quite funny cos I didn't have no cigs so I kept asking for them (it was funny cos I was in the first class since the seconnd class was all booked) then in Rome I smoked a lot cos my friend's a smoker too and so I could smoked in the house. Now I have to quit because I don't wannt another sorethroat. I hate feeling sick and I can't make absences at school since I may go to Rome one week in february for an Art exhibition ( I'm on of the painters) and I don't want to lose too many days
Old 01-10-2004, 11:20 AM   #16 (permalink)

Try to change 2 things in your life is very hard. It takes me a long time to change one thing. One day at a time, one hour, one minute.
Old 01-10-2004, 05:39 PM   #17 (permalink)
Ann
Grateful Member

Actually, the food problem takes my mind off the smoking problem LOL.

Today we went for groceries. We got lots of fresh veggies, fruit. low fat and low cal everything, lean meat and as we were heading toward checkout we passed the bakery department

My husband, who was pushing the cart, had to come and drag me away....TWICE!!!! It just looked sooooooooo good!!!! :cry3:

Anyway, I am safe at home, minus the baked goods, and back on track.

Hungry Hugs
Ann

Old 01-10-2004, 08:15 PM   #18 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Back on track....good for you Ann! ......as for your neighbors not thinking you are nuts.....I thought that was taken care of when you were hanging outside the side of your house without a laddder!!!!! LOL

Antreeta, That's all you need to do is take it one day at a time....one hour at a time if that works for you!!!!! And if you can only change one thing at a time, then that's what you should do.....as long as you keep right on changing those things that will eventually get you to where you want to be. Always progress no matter how slow or fast...everyone is different!

Old 01-10-2004, 09:17 PM   #19 (permalink)
Still Standing

Ann,
I just wanted to add my HOORAYS!!!!! for your great accomplishment of quitting smoking & now getting back on track with your healthy eating habits. I've never smoked, but my husband does & I've never griped at him about it because I've always had such a horrible time with my overeating problem. I am very happy for you in both areas of your life. Keep up the good work. You are doing yourself proud!!!!! That gives the rest of us the hope that it's possible for us too. ****{HUGS}}}
Old 01-12-2004, 05:13 PM   #20 (permalink)
Ann
Grateful Member

Today I am in a foul mood and luckily I am not stocked up on cakes because I swear I would eat the entire thing.

It's the "quit smoking" syndrom, no other reason. I am trying so hard to be invisible and quiet, just reading and trying to occupy myself. My cat is hiding with my husband and they are both getting tired of my deep sighs It is actually weird to be this ugly without a problem LOL.

This too shall pass. Tomorrow I start walking again.

Hugs
Mean Old Ann