Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Special-Interest Groups > Christians In Recovery
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [2]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-03-2013, 10:51 AM   #1 (permalink)

Sacramental Wine? Ok, or not OK?

Short and sweet...

Is Sacramental Wine OK to drink at church with communion if you are alcoholic?

Thoughts?

Zube
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to Zube For This Useful Post:
neferkamichael (02-02-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 10:55 AM   #2 (permalink)

I wouldn't, but then I don't usually hang out too often where liquor is served.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following User Says Thank You to hamabi For This Useful Post:
neferkamichael (02-02-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 11:15 AM   #3 (permalink)

Ive had this conversation with lots of folks and opinions vary. I personally choose not to drink the wine. But agree with some people who believe that God would never allow them to relapse on the Blood of Christ.

~All Big Book Quotes from the 1st edition

A man can no more diminish God's glory by refusing to worship Him than a lunatic can put out the sun by scribbling the word, 'darkness' on the walls of his cell.
C. S. Lewis
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to bbthumper For This Useful Post:
LDT (01-05-2013), Lily1918 (01-27-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), Zube (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 11:19 AM   #4 (permalink)
Recovered

One could have the Catholic argument that it ceases to be wine and becomes blood, so moot point.

Me: pragmatic nontheist living sober and free as a result of engaging in the discipline of the 12 Steps and following my PLAN.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to mfanch For This Useful Post:
LDT (01-05-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), Zube (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 12:24 PM   #5 (permalink)
Idiot!

I'm sure your god wouldn't want you dead! I would give it a miss. Im sure he'll understand.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SparklingSeven For This Useful Post:
Geralt (02-03-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), Zube (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 12:46 PM   #6 (permalink)

I avoid,although I always have,for personal reasons. As Chopper says, God will understand
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to ReadyAtLast For This Useful Post:
neferkamichael (02-02-2013), Zube (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 12:54 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Moderator

I think it's one of those personal things Zube - if you believe in transubstantiation, fine...if it's never been an issue, fine....

If you're not sure, or if it makes you uneasy, if you're cautious about avoiding alcohol in everything, or it awakens the committee....I'd stick to the bread

Like others have said, I'm sure a loving God will understand whatever our decisions might be

D

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Dee74 For This Useful Post:
BadCompany (01-03-2013), bryangt (01-07-2013), LDT (01-05-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), RobbyRobot (01-06-2013), Zube (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 01:00 PM   #8 (permalink)
*Grateful*

I always choose the grape juice when it is avail. Otherwise I let it pass by, however God knows my heart and I have the communion in my heart.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Lily For This Useful Post:
bryangt (01-07-2013), LadyinBC (01-04-2013), Lily1918 (01-27-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), tomsteve (01-05-2013), Zube (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:13 PM   #9 (permalink)
dox
paradox

I completely understand that many of us avoid touching alcohol at all costs. I can also see that communion is a matter of the heart more than a physical act. My sponsor never takes the wine, but I do. Just as we each had our own relationship with alcohol, we each have our own relationship with God.

I was not confirmed until I was sober. As I understand Him, He would not allow the sacrament to lead me back to hell on earth. I trust Him. How could I otherwise turn my will and my life over to His care?

A non-alcoholic option is not available in our Church. We drink from a single cup. I used to just touch the wine to my lips. I could taste it. Now I usually dip the wafer in the wine, ever so slightly. That's what people do in our church when they don't want to transmit or catch an illness. I can still taste it. I don't like the taste, but I still do it. Sometimes, I have an extra strong mint, afterwards, to take away the taste.

Why do I do it?

I can't explain fully. It's personal: my relationship with Jesus.

~dox
There's still time to change the road you're on.
~ Robert Plant
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to dox For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (01-03-2013), LDT (01-05-2013), Lily1918 (01-27-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), ReadyAtLast (01-04-2013), Sisterella (01-04-2013), sofie (01-07-2013), Zube (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:23 PM   #10 (permalink)

The sacrament of the Eucharist is not a magic act, so the wine retains its chemical composition and one certainly can relapse after drinking it.

In recognition of this, the church allows alcoholic priests to substitute grape juice for wine. The opinion of a group of Catholic clergy that I discussed this with a few years back said that if wine is used in the sacrament, it would be foolish for an alcoholic to drink it.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to miamifella For This Useful Post:
Lily1918 (01-27-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), veryready (01-04-2013), Zube (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #11 (permalink)

We have juice at our church.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Midlifecrisis For This Useful Post:
Cephas (01-07-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), Zube (01-03-2013)
Old 01-03-2013, 06:21 PM   #12 (permalink)
bona fido dog-lover

At my brother's episcopalian church, if you don't want the wine you cross your arms over your chest and they just bless you.

Dogs may not be our whole lives, but they make our lives whole.

Don't wait for the Last Judgement. It takes place every day. -Albert Camus

Find the good and praise it. - Alex Haley
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to least For This Useful Post:
Fandy (01-04-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), Zube (01-03-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 01:34 AM   #13 (permalink)
dox
paradox

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamifella View Post
The sacrament of the Eucharist is not a magic act, so the wine retains its chemical composition and one certainly can relapse after drinking it.

In recognition of this, the church allows alcoholic priests to substitute grape juice for wine. The opinion of a group of Catholic clergy that I discussed this with a few years back said that if wine is used in the sacrament, it would be foolish for an alcoholic to drink it.
Call me foolish if you will. But, a wise old-timer told me, twice, that he learned, the hard way, that advice or opinion is much more valuable when it's based on experience. A second hand opinion reported from a group of non-alcoholics carries very little weight.

Don't get me wrong; I am not arguing or advising anyone to take communion wine. On the contrary: If someone is even a little afraid that it might lead to relapse, then their decision to abstain would be a good choice IMHO.

Drinking milk can precede relapse. So, I'm sure that a taste of alcoholic communion wine can do so, as well. It seems logical that it would lead to relapse more readily than milk. Drinking either, whilst trying to rely on our human power, is even more likely to leave us vulnerable to relapse.

This is a thought provoking question. I'm sure that some of us are of the opinion that taking communion wine, in and of itself, constitutes a relapse. We all have opinions.

Has anyone out there taken holy communion and subsequently relapsed? I would be most interested in your experience, because this discussion has caused me to re-evaluate my decision. Perhaps you have spoken with, or heard someone share in a meeting, who blames communion wine for their relapse or said that it contributed to their relapse?

Or, maybe there are others out there, like me, who have not (yet) relapsed and have been taking communion wine with little worry (until now) that it could lead to a relapse.

Please tell us your experience(s). Opinions are good too, IMHO.

~dox
There's still time to change the road you're on.
~ Robert Plant
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to dox For This Useful Post:
Fernaceman (01-04-2013), Lily1918 (01-27-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), Sisterella (01-04-2013), Zube (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 10:33 AM   #14 (permalink)
Trudger of Happy Destiny

I like the above point. Until now, I really haven't even given it a second thought that it really would/could trigger a relapse. Would be quite fascinating o hear someone's experience that did.

I drink the wine, but honestly the only thing I ever really worry about is catching an illness from the community cup...that's been my #1 deterrent ever since this whole alcoholism thing.

Thanks for the thought provoking discussion.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Fernaceman For This Useful Post:
neferkamichael (02-02-2013), tomsteve (01-05-2013), Zube (01-04-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 11:19 AM   #15 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zube View Post
Short and sweet...

Thoughts?

Zube
One can have communion anywhere. It is more of a humble acceptance than 'you must drink this or else'. It is a relationship with Him, not a obligation by humans offering something. God knows your heart.
Kind of funny I told a friend that the grape juice used hasn't changed in 40 years best I can tell.

AG
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to AlwaysGrowing For This Useful Post:
Cephas (01-07-2013), Lily1918 (01-27-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), RobbyRobot (01-06-2013), Zube (01-05-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #16 (permalink)
A Day at a Time

Until God has a burning bush in my front yard and a booming voice coming from it saying, "Don't worry about the wine." I think I willl pass
For once I'm at peace with myself

Came back to life 7.24.2009
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to MIRecovery For This Useful Post:
AllieB (09-09-2013), NatalieN (01-21-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), veryready (01-04-2013), Zube (01-05-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #17 (permalink)
Doing Business Since 11/3/2012

No Way. It's wine. Alcoholics don't drink wine.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to veryready For This Useful Post:
neferkamichael (02-02-2013), Zube (01-05-2013)
Old 01-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #18 (permalink)
Psalm 118:24

Whoever, therefore, eats the bread or drinks the cup of the Lord in an unworthy manner will be guilty of profaning the body and blood of the Lord.

Communion is a time for confessing our sins and receiving Christís forgiveness. We should not take a cavalier approach to communion. This is a serious, somber time of reflection before our God. The Apostle Paul says we are not to partake of communion in an unworthy matter. As we enter into communion with Christ, let us not come with sin and guilt weighing heavily upon us. Rather, let us be willing to confess our sins and receive forgiveness. Let us be willing to recommit our lives to Christ every time we take the Lordís Supper. Let us be willing to let go of all those evil desires which seem to beset us so often. Allow the Holy Spirit to cleanse you and renew you. Allow Christ to have complete control of your life.

"As we come to the Lordís Supper, we should do so in a judged condition. Sin should be confessed and forsaken; restitution should be made; apologies should be offered to those we have offended. In general we should make sure that we are in a proper state of soul."

If, you're not sure about your program, I wouldn't advice it to anyone. I've been taking communion since, I started attending church again. Make sure you're spiritually fit.

I'm making a confession and asking forgiveness when, I receive Communion. I take the individual serving and thanking God for his mercy upon me as a sinner and thanking him for his Grace and for sending Jesus to die for me.

J - Jesus first
O - Others next
Y - Yourself last

John 14:6
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to CAPTAINZING2000 For This Useful Post:
Dee74 (01-04-2013), EnnuiStasis (02-02-2013), LDT (01-05-2013), Lethe (01-21-2013), Midlifecrisis (01-04-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013), Zube (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 04:46 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zube View Post
Short and sweet...

Thoughts?

Zube

hmmm. good to see the concern. is it ok?? welp, it may be once or twice, but very possibly at one point be the start of a wrong thought that could lead into a drunk.

For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him should not perish but have eternal life. 17 For God did not send his Son into the world to condemn the world, but to save the world through him.

the church i attend uses juice. but if it was wine, i would have to do something as i dot want to chance it. even though i didnt drink wine when i was drinking, i could be what sets off one wrong thought.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tomsteve For This Useful Post:
neferkamichael (02-02-2013), Zube (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 05:10 AM   #20 (permalink)
LDT

As a former Episcopalian ( they serve wine at communion ), and now a Methodist ( they serve grape juice at communion), I have had experience with this. A few months after getting sober ( I was then a Methodist ) I went to the funeral of a former friend ( an Episcopalian ). They served communion and it never even crossed my mind that it was wine because I had been taking the grape juice in my own church for years. I was so ensconced in the beautiful Episcopalian communion ritual that I completely forgot about it. Walking back to my pew I thought " I think that was real." And then I never gave it another thought. God knew what my intent was. I did not relapse from that tiny ingestion of wine......but bottom line, it is a very personal decision. If it threatens your sobriety...pass on it. You will still be blessed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to LDT For This Useful Post:
CAPTAINZING2000 (01-05-2013), neferkamichael (02-02-2013)