The Recipe Thread ~ Part 9 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Social Groups > Café Central
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-25-2017, 11:28 PM   #1 (permalink)
Forum Leader

The Recipe Thread ~ Part 9

New Thread Continues From Here.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...rt-8-a-25.html (The Recipe Thread ~ Part 8)
Opivotal is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Opivotal For This Useful Post:
ananda (05-26-2017), Gonnachange (05-29-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 09:37 AM   #2 (permalink)

I don't know how many of you are smokers...but I go through phases of loving it. I have a wonderful fish brine, and have spent a couple winters smoking rainbow trout caught well ice fishing. The grocery store gave me a free turkey last Thanksgiving because I had spent enough money to earn one. It's just me, so I chose a very small, chicken sized one. I pulled it from the freezer earlier this week, and am brining it tonight, and smoking it tomorrow. This will be my first turkey smoking, and I can't wait!!
ananda (05-26-2017), Gonnachange (05-29-2017), honeypig (05-26-2017), Opivotal (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 09:38 AM   #3 (permalink)

The meal last night was awesomely good if I say so myself. I do have to thin the sourcream with a bit of cream to make sure it coats all the veggies well.

You can't stop living just because it hurts a little - Ananda's Mom
ananda is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ananda For This Useful Post:
firebolt (05-26-2017), Gonnachange (05-29-2017), honeypig (05-26-2017), Opivotal (05-26-2017)
Old 05-26-2017, 09:52 AM   #4 (permalink)

Quote:
This will be my first turkey smoking, and I can't wait!!
So inquiring minds need to know: When you smoke a fish or a turkey, how the heck do you keep it LIT?? (hee hee)

XAH used to work w/a guy who loved to fish but didn't like to EAT fish. He would go out on Lake Michigan and catch salmon, smoke them, and give them away. Can you imagine a better co-worker to have? I love smoked fish and was appreciative of anything that dude threw our way, for sure!

I'll be curious to see how your turkey turns out, fb.

I had 2 really brutal days of hauling beverages at work (in addition to my regular delivery route) and have been sucking down smoothies to keep my strength up. Sweet potato/banana/spirulina w/cinnamon and vanilla: a horrible green color but very tasty, actually. Beet and pear w/fresh ginger, sweet and earthy w/a bit of snap from the ginger. Carrot/pineapple/apple, also w/fresh ginger. And tomato w/a little Greek yogurt and some Green Goddess dressing seasoning.

I think it's working b/c I really don't feel that bad! I want to get some painting done this weekend and can't afford to be all beat up from work and not feel like doing what I have planned. Really looking forward to a fresh coat and fresh color; the old one is really old!
ananda (05-26-2017), firebolt (05-26-2017), Gonnachange (05-29-2017), Opivotal (05-26-2017)
Old 05-27-2017, 10:01 AM   #5 (permalink)

I've never smoked (meat that is, I do smoke cigeretes ) but I don't think we can try it if it requires any equipment ... even if it's cheap. Maybe if my finances change we will look at that.

But do tell what equipment it takes and how much space and where.... Then I can daydream! And I think my son would love to do it!

firebolt (05-30-2017), Gonnachange (05-29-2017), honeypig (05-27-2017), Opivotal (05-27-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 01:24 PM   #6 (permalink)

Tonight my son is making home made pizza. Now the crust is from scratch, but the pizza sause is canned ... again ... I'll have to work on him doing tomato base sauses from scratch.

I feel, given the name of the thread, I should be posting the recipe. But it is his ....

Can we post abut food without necessarily having a recipe?

firebolt (05-30-2017), Gonnachange (05-29-2017), honeypig (05-28-2017), Opivotal (05-28-2017)
Old 05-28-2017, 01:28 PM   #7 (permalink)
Forum Leader

Of course you can, Ananda.

Pizza sounds good to me!
Opivotal is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Opivotal For This Useful Post:
ananda (05-29-2017), Gonnachange (05-29-2017), honeypig (05-28-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 10:16 AM   #8 (permalink)

Ananda, I post all the time about what I'm cooking without posting the recipe. That written, if someone asks for it I'll gladly write it out so feel free to ask about anything I post. And please get your son to understand how much better homemade sauces are than the stuff that comes out of the can. As you know it initially takes longer, but large batches can be made and the excess frozen for future use. Better tasting, more economical, and better for you. Trifecta!

FB, I'm a big fan of smoking and do it quite often, both the lo and slo approach for pulled pork, ribs, etc. and the cold smoked mode for cheese and lox. Right now I have sitting in my refrigerators and freezers smoked boneless turkey breast, smoked cheddar cheese, and maple apple wood smoked bacon. Later this week I'll be smoking a homemade corned beef to turn it into pastrami.

Dinner tonight is going to be crab cakes with a side salad or maybe some type of slaw.
ananda (05-29-2017), firebolt (05-30-2017), honeypig (05-29-2017), Opivotal (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 10:47 AM   #9 (permalink)

Along those lines of how much better homemade sauces are than store-bought, I must confess to not making homemade dressings for probably 50 years of my life. I still don't go totally homemade with all of them, but as close as I come to store-bought is to use Hellman's mayo if mayo is called for. I am really fond of Penzey's dressing seasoning mixes, but even that is just a convenience; it's just not that hard to measure out the spices/herbs if you have a moderately stocked spice cabinet.

Question: What is your favorite source for herbs and spices? In my neck of the woods, it's Penzey's, hands down https://www.penzeys.com/ . Not the cheapest, but by FAR the best. And luckily for me, one of the pastry chefs at the bakery I work for has a part-time job at Penzeys--that means she gets anything nearing its expiration date or cosmetically damaged FOR FREE, plus gets a good employee discount on regular stock. I've gotten a fair amount of stuff from her for free and have occasionally asked her to pick up some regular items for me too.

One of those purchases was for my mom, double strength vanilla --I guess you all know you pretty much need to take out a second mortgage on your house if you want to buy a bottle of any size these days!
ananda (05-29-2017), firebolt (05-30-2017), Gonnachange (05-29-2017), Opivotal (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 11:14 AM   #10 (permalink)

Honeypig! I live in Kansas ... can you send me some of those free spices!!!!! (just kidding ... I think)

We have Chives, parsley, sage, rosemary, basil, and cilantro that we are trying to grow this year ... hope it works as we use some of those a lot and it's very expensive.

gotta run laters .... (Dashes to another thread)

firebolt (05-30-2017), Gonnachange (05-29-2017), honeypig (05-29-2017), Opivotal (05-29-2017)
Old 05-29-2017, 12:28 PM   #11 (permalink)

HP, I've only heard very good things about Penzy's products, but have never used them. For my herbs and spices I go to a high end local market that sells privately labeled dried spices at a reasonable price; for the out of season herbs I go there also, but in season I pluck what I need from my wife's herb garden. Amongst other things she grows everything that Ananda mentioned with the exception of chives. She also grows peppers, tomatoes, radishes, cucumbers, and assorted other things depending upon her whims. The herbs are consistently good, but the veggies are not. Some years there's a bounty and other years, mainly due to weather conditons, we're getting close to the threshold of The 64 Dollar Tomato by William Alexander. Full disclosure: I've never read the book, but generally know what it's about. The sentiment of the book and our experience gives me a ton of appreciation for people who farm for a living.

In preparation for a dinner I'll be making later this week I made a small batch of sauce consisting of EVOO, cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, black pepper, and sautéed onion and garlic. I'll be serving it either tomorrow or Wednesday.
ananda (05-30-2017), firebolt (05-30-2017), honeypig (05-29-2017), Opivotal (05-29-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 09:03 AM   #12 (permalink)

Quote:
FB, I'm a big fan of smoking and do it quite often, both the lo and slo approach for pulled pork, ribs, etc. and the cold smoked mode for cheese and lox
Ooh, I've always wanted to try smoking cheese, but my smoker doesn't go low enough.

The turkey turned out AMAZING! Kinda tastes like ham

My ex smoked the deviled eggs for Easter dinner once - it was the first time I'd had them, and to date were the best Deviled eggs I've ever had!

Quote:
But do tell what equipment it takes and how much space and where.... Then I can daydream! And I think my son would love to do it!
I just have a cheap electric bullet looking smoker, (maybe 80 bucks if I remember right and I see them on craigslist for 40 here and there) but it works great (about the size of a small bbq)! I'd love to get a bigger cabinet one that has better temp control and range, but the bullet has done just fine for meat. It's fun!
ananda (05-30-2017), honeypig (05-30-2017), Opivotal (05-30-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 11:48 AM   #13 (permalink)

FB, for cold smoking I don't use my smoker as the heat source, but as the containment chamber. About five years ago I bought a cold smoke generator and smoking dust from Amazenproducts.com. They've changed their product offerings since my purchase; the one closest to what I have is their 6x6 smoke generator that uses sawdust and while I can't comment on their new version of what I have or their pellet smoke generators I can state that what I bought does exactly what it was advertised to do.

I'm glad you enjoyed the turkey and deviled eggs.

Dinner tonight is going to be pan seared pork chops with sautéed onions and creamed spinach. Starting this afternoon we'll be taking care of my next door neighbor's daughter and although she's stayed here a number of times I still don't have a total sense of what her likes are so I'll be keeping things pretty straight forward. It's kind of ironic that I'm back to the "make breakfast and lunch mode" for a 13 year old after having my youngest child graduate college a few days ago.
ananda (05-30-2017), firebolt (05-30-2017), honeypig (05-30-2017), Opivotal (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 01:17 PM   #14 (permalink)
Just livin' the dream

Tonight I am making Garlic Parmesan Chicken with Spinach

"We call them dumb animals, and so they are, for they cannot tell us how they feel, but they do not suffer less because they have no words."
- Anna Sewell
suki44883 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to suki44883 For This Useful Post:
ananda (05-30-2017), firebolt (05-30-2017), Gonnachange (05-31-2017), honeypig (05-30-2017), Opivotal (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 03:07 PM   #15 (permalink)

Looks delicious! ^^

GOnnachange - Ooh - I'll have to keep my eyes open for a cold smoke generator!

Tonight I am doing up some fish tacos with the last of the perch from my ice fishing last season.

Super simple - pan seared fish with blackened seasoning, cabbage, queso, cilantro, and on those awesome tiny white corn shells... and a little sauce:

sour cream, mayo, lime juice, cilantro and enough cayenne for a kick!
ananda (05-30-2017), Gonnachange (05-31-2017), honeypig (05-30-2017), Opivotal (05-31-2017)
Old 05-30-2017, 04:00 PM   #16 (permalink)

WOW .. we are slumming tonight with BLTs with store bought Mac/Cheese salad (as I didn't get the homemade potato salad, will finish tonight).

Chris doesn't like tomatoes, so he puts some pepperjack cheese on his. He also toasts the bread in the bacon grease!!!! mmmmm

I'm growing tomatoes, okra, squash, watermelon, leeks, onions and potatoes. First time Chris and I have tried something like this. It been quite a time user... I hope to do some different stuff next year. We use lots of Cukes and I forgot to by that...

I subscribe to the gardening thread here at SR to try and get tips ... you might like it.

PS Chris is my son (38) if I didn't mention it...

firebolt (06-01-2017), Gonnachange (05-31-2017), honeypig (05-30-2017), Opivotal (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 08:47 AM   #17 (permalink)

Dinner tonight is going to be beef and Italian sausage burgers stuffed with mozzarella cheese and topped with the sauce I made a couple of days ago consisting of EVOO, cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, black pepper, and sautéed onion and garlic. I'll be serving roasted corn on the cob as the side dish.
ananda (05-31-2017), firebolt (06-01-2017), honeypig (05-31-2017), Opivotal (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:15 AM   #18 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonnachange View Post
Dinner tonight is going to be beef and Italian sausage burgers stuffed with mozzarella cheese and topped with the sauce I made a couple of days ago consisting of EVOO, cherry tomatoes, sundried tomatoes, black pepper, and sautéed onion and garlic. I'll be serving roasted corn on the cob as the side dish.
Wow!!! Can I come for dinner????

We have hamburgers tonight. Although they are kick arse ... nothing fancy. I am making potato salad. I'll let you know how it goes. I pretty much play it by ear and often add horseradish as I like the zip it adds. I put that in deviled eggs sometimes too.

firebolt (06-01-2017), Gonnachange (05-31-2017), honeypig (05-31-2017), Opivotal (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 09:29 AM   #19 (permalink)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ananda View Post
Wow!!! Can I come for dinner????

We have hamburgers tonight. Although they are kick arse ... nothing fancy. I am making potato salad. I'll let you know how it goes. I pretty much play it by ear and often add horseradish as I like the zip it adds. I put that in deviled eggs sometimes too.
C'mon down; there'll be enough! :-) I should have also written that I'll be cooking the burgers on my wood burning grill with a chunk of mesquite wood thrown in the fire for a little extra taste.

Ananda, I like horseradish, but have never thought to put it in potato salad or deviled eggs; I'll have to keep that in mind.

In other cooking news, it's now looking as if my pastrami won't be ready for consumption until Saturday.
ananda (05-31-2017), firebolt (06-01-2017), honeypig (05-31-2017), Opivotal (05-31-2017)
Old 05-31-2017, 10:42 AM   #20 (permalink)

For some reason, actually thanks to FB, I've had fish tacos on my mind all day. Something tells me I'll be buying the necessary ingredients in the days to come.
ananda (05-31-2017), firebolt (06-01-2017), honeypig (05-31-2017)