Anna Is Reading... - Page 3 - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Social Groups > The Book Club
Register Blogs FAQ Members List Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-13-2017, 01:07 PM   #41 (permalink)
Administrator

Closing In by Sue Fortin

This was Sue's second novel but it's the first book by this author for me, and I will be looking for the first book to read, too.

It became clear from the start that there has been problems within Helen's relationship with her partner Toby. She left, disappeared and hid, and got a new identity as Ellen. In fact, she left the country, returning six months later to work as a nanny. She told no-one other than her best friend where she had gone and where she was living.

Strange incidents begin to happen to her new family, and their home becomes one of suspicion and fear. Ellen has to figure out who she can trust.

Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate.
Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure.
It is our light not our darkness that most frightens us.

Marianne Williamson
Anna is online now   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Anna For This Useful Post:
Opivotal (06-15-2017)
Old 06-13-2017, 01:20 PM   #42 (permalink)
Administrator

The Silent Child by Sarah Denzil

Sarah Denzil has recently become one of my favourite authors. I loved "The Broken Ones". She has a knack for finding the cracks in people.

Emma becomes a mother at 18 in small English village. Her son, 6, slips away from his school group during a storm and flood. He is never found and 6 years later is pronounced dead. At age 34, Emma has remarried and is pregnant and Aiden, her son, is found. He has been help captive and abused and finally escaped. He is too traumatized to speak. As Emma attempts to reconnect with her teenage son, she must unmask the monster who took him away from her. But she has no idea who took Aiden and abused him. Aiden is the only one who can give her and the police the answers she needs. The suspense and span of emotions was incredible and Sarah Denzil is a very talented author.

Marianne Williamson
Opivotal (06-15-2017)
Old 06-20-2017, 08:58 AM   #43 (permalink)
Administrator

Stillhouse Lake by Rachel Caine

I loved this book and really could not put it down. I was up in the middle of the night reading. Rachel Caine's books have been mainly in the Young Adult genre. This is her first suspense mystery book. The good news for me is that the book ends with the tease of a follow-up and I will look forward to that.

The book begins with Gina, a suburban housewife with 2 children, discovering that her husband is a serial killer. And, he's an infamous serial killer, meaning he has 'followers', so even though he is on death row, his threats to his family are very real. Gina truly knew nothing of her husband's insanity, but is tried and convicted in the press and social media as an accomplice. She realizes she must 'disappear' with her kids or face horrible threats on social media and real life. The family become nomads because their identity is usually discovered after a few months in a new place and they are no longer safe. I loved this character. She is normal, yet strong, smart, yet not sure who to trust, if anyone. This is a fast-paced journey into a mother's desperate need to save her children, her family.

Marianne Williamson
Opivotal (06-20-2017)
Old Yesterday, 11:37 AM   #44 (permalink)
Administrator

Liar by K.L. Slater

Wow, I am on a roll with excellent books. I was completely enthralled and spell-bound in this clever psychological thriller. This is the third book by K.L. Slater and I’ve loved both of her other books, Blink and Safe With Me. But this one has now become my most favourite book of hers so far!

This is a great story about the deep and disturbing relationship between a controlling and proud mother/grandmother and the beautiful and conniving new girlfriend who appears in her son's life after his wife passes away, leaving him with two young children.

I read this in 24 hours and literally couldn't put it down.

Marianne Williamson
Opivotal (Yesterday)