Go Back   SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Social Groups > The Book Club
Forgot Password? Join Us!
Register Blogs FAQ Calendar Arcade Mark Forums Read Chat Room [5]

Welcome to the Sober Recovery Community

Already registered? Login above ---^
OR
To take advantage of all Posting, Chatting, Gaming, and all the features available at SoberRecovery, join the over 100,000 current members, and become a member of our supportive community today! Ads will no longer appear on the forums, once you register.

LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-05-2012, 10:49 PM   #1 (permalink)
12-Step Recovered Alcoholic

Not God: A History of Alcoholics Anonymous

I just snagged this book...

Don't know why....didn't have the money (really) and I've got at least 4 books ahead of it that I plan to read (and I haven't been reading all that much lately). It just seemed like I "needed" to get it for some reason......so a bought it at one of my homegroups the other night.

Anyone have any experience with it? (don't ruin it for me.....just curious what you thought about it).

** I noticed "The Orange Papers" haaated it......so I assume it's pretty good.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DayTrader For This Useful Post:
UpperbucksAAguy (03-06-2012), wellwisher (04-24-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 02:42 AM   #2 (permalink)

looks good.....is on my "to buy list" but mighty expensive for a paperback here in UK.
Was recommended to me a while back....the author apparently takes a long hard look at the founders.....especially bill....should be fun..lol.
Digg this Post!Add Post to del.icio.usBookmark Post in TechnoratiTweet this Post!
Old 03-06-2012, 03:01 AM   #3 (permalink)
Sober Alcoholic

For the AA history buff “Not God” is the best done history of AA, bar none.

An even better read is Ernie’s “spirituality of imperfection”.

This is a link to his book “Shame and Guilt” that is available free online.
Ernest Kurtz, Shame & Guilt

This is the link to “The Collected Enie Kurtz” and also free online
Ernest Kurtz, The Collected Ernie Kurtz
The Following User Says Thank You to awuh1 For This Useful Post:
shaun00 (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 05:08 AM   #4 (permalink)
Awakening...

I have Not God but haven't read it yet. Ernest Kurtz plays off his theme of imperfection, not-God theme throughout the book.

All quotes from the 1st Edition of Alcoholics Anonymous (aka The Big Book)
Old 03-06-2012, 07:06 AM   #5 (permalink)
~sb

I read "Not-God A History Of Alcoholics Anonymous"

It's Ernest Kurtz' dissertation, so it's a bit of a dry read (my opinion), but it does discuss the history quite well. The - hyphen is most important to this book, don't forget to add it to its title! My sponsor gave it to me as the first book beyond the big book to read.

All Big Book quotes are from the first edition.
Linked with the permission of Alcoholics Anonymous World Services, Inc.
Old 03-06-2012, 08:56 AM   #6 (permalink)

I read it years ago. Really terrific read. I have to admit that the platitudinous nature of recovery literature always makes it seem suspect to me. This is a more objective view of the origins of AA and so to me it was a lot more interesting.

I better understood the distance between the BB and the way AA is practiced in the real world after reading Not God.
The Following User Says Thank You to miamifella For This Useful Post:
AD33 (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 09:13 AM   #7 (permalink)

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
I've read it, and I thought it did a very nice job. Since it was his dissertation, Kurtz also lists references and sources, which is good if you want to 'dig deeper'.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Terminally Unique For This Useful Post:
laurie6781 (03-06-2012), sugarbear1 (03-06-2012)
Old 03-06-2012, 07:28 PM   #8 (permalink)

Not God is the most informative AA history book written. Most of the other ones ( even Pass it on and Dr Bob and the Good oldtimers) leave alot of things out. The other stuff out there is revisionist history ( Wally P's writings, Dick B etc...) The Spirituality of Imperfection is another favorite from Kurtz.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:43 PM   #9 (permalink)
Community Greeter

Off topic but a long time ago I set up an account on a book swapping site for us to use ...... then we don't have to spend money we don't have on books

If you're interested, let me know and I'll post the info.

Old 03-06-2012, 07:51 PM   #10 (permalink)
Forward we go...side by side

I'm moving this to the proper forum....The Book Club
I too think it is interesting ...read it years ago.

Thanks for shareing everyone....

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to CarolD For This Useful Post:
PaperDolls (03-06-2012), sugarbear1 (03-06-2012)
Old 03-28-2012, 01:20 PM   #11 (permalink)
Laozi Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by DayTrader View Post
Don't know why....didn't have the money (really) and I've got at least 4 books ahead of it that I plan to read (and I haven't been reading all that much lately). It just seemed like I "needed" to get it for some reason......so a bought it at one of my homegroups the other night.
I have some bad news for you. If you like "Not God" you will want to read "The Spirituality of Imperfection". I thought both were 5 star reads. If I can find it I would be willing to loan it to you.

Not to mention "A.A.: The Story". Something I have on my reading wish list. It goes for $70 new. Perhaps we could split the cost on it?

>>> If it makes sense - It ain't spiritual!

- All Big Book quotes are from first Edition -
Old 04-24-2012, 01:32 PM   #12 (permalink)

Sober 31 years and come here to find all of these books I never knew about!,
Old 04-24-2012, 01:43 PM   #13 (permalink)

Wow-what a reading list here...I have heard "A New Pair of Glasses" by Chuck C is a great read. I just saw it recommended by a Dan Barden in the magazine This Week a week or two ago. Dan Barden has written a few recovery books including "The Next Right Thing"...