Notices

My anxiety Tale

Old 08-01-2006, 01:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

My anxiety Tale

In 1999 I started having these "spells" as I called them then where it felt like I could just jump out of my skin or was about to fall over dead. At the time I had no idea what this was and had some serious concerns that I was losing my mind. Fortunately, HBO ran a special on this and it just so happened one the people they profiled had "spells" while driving which is where I was having them. Knowing it had a name "Anxiety Attacks" did provide some immediate relief and they subsided for a couple of years. Then in 2001 then started happening again not so much while driving this time but in places I had never been to before like a new restaurant, new house etc... Then I got a new job that was all consuming so once again they subsided for about a year and half around the same time I was bored with my current job. COINCINDENCE? I finally went to the doctor and explained the feeling I was having rapid breating, increased pulse, a dream like feeling, and of course thinking I was about to drop dead any minute. Once again after the doctor explained to me what it was i immediately felt better. The doctor recommeded Effexor and gave me some sample to start out with. I felt so much better after talking to doctor that I held off on taking the Effexor. Looking back I think that was a huge mistake. However, with a physician's diagnosis and trying to start my own company, in the interim i left the job i was bored with, life was good not even a hint of anxiety. The company I tried to start failed but I had no regrets about trying and had several new things lined up so life was still good.
Then about 6 months ago it came back with a vengenance. The two most intense attacks I ever had and after that i became consumed with the fear of having attacks so I started to self medicated with alcohol which did subside the fear of attacks for a while but then alcohol wore off it took more alcohol to subside the fear. I'm sure you can guess that this line of treatment quickly spiraled into something where it was hard to function.
Finally, a little over two weeks ago I called my mom who is a nurse and asked her to come over because i was in chronic fear of an attack. This was all news to her. She knew I had problems in the past but nothing like what I was going through now. Two days later I went to see the doctor and once again Effexor was recommended. Starting with 37.5mg then up to 75mg along with a tranquilzer to help out until the Effexor took effect. LIFE IS SO MUCH BETTER! I still need the tranquilizers but I figure a little more time with the effexor or maybe increasing the dose and maybe just maybe after seven long years it will be cured. It seems almost to good to be true but i'm more hopefull than I have ever been

Looking back on all this I never could figure out exactly what triggered my attacks unless it was being in a place where i had a previous attack. The one thing these espisodes all had in common I was bored with my job. I've read several post on here and for other people it always seemed to be "stress" in the since of things going on in the family or things going on at the job. However, with me when there is "stress" with the job I never would have attacks it was when there was no "stress" i had problems.

Hopefully someone can get something out of my story. At a minimum it maybe me feel good to finally tell someone other than the doctor.

One final thing the attacks were horrendous but for me they lasted 10 seconds or so it was the fear of the attacks that crippled me.
Old 11-07-2007, 07:43 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I was in a similar situation, using alcohol to medicate an anxiety problem. Never took Effexor, but took Lexapro. It helped for a while but I eventually started talking about all this with a counsellor and that was a huge help. I think a combination of meds and therapy is a great idea for anyone with these problems.