Notices

Lamictal and Rashes

Old 07-30-2006, 09:25 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question Lamictal and Rashes

Ok, so I started the 200mg of Lamictal last night. I know to watch out for "the rash", but I honestly don't know exactly what to watch out for. When the doc explained it to me, I didn't realize to ask. I know that chances are nothing will happen, but I also don't want to freak out every time I see a new red bump wondering what the heck it could be, when it turns out to just be a new zit or bug bite or something.

So for those who have had "the rash" can you tell me:

Does it happen slowly or like overnight?

Is it something that itches?

Is it a rash like a heat rash or bumps like chicken pox?

Does it show up all over your body or like just parts of your body? (i.e. legs, arms, face, ect.)

Anything else that would help me know when it is something I should worry about or something I just need to put more zit cream on?

Thanks!
Old 07-30-2006, 09:31 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
One Day At A Time

Lamotrigine ?????

Hi Jessica - It you are talking about Lamotrigine..The serious rash that
sometimes can be a side effect is called Stevens-Johnsons syndrome...You can google it..But My shrink said that it is like ulcers on your skin & that it
can be life threatening, so just keep an eye open - don't freak out - it is not common, you just need to be aware to get your but to the hospital and tell them what you thinki it is if you break out...I've been on it for quite a while and even been in the sun a lot (which isn't suggested) and I've been fine..
So don't worry..just know what to do on the slim chance you react...

lol Janni

Old 07-31-2006, 09:23 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Hopefully you have slowly been brought up to the 200 mg of Lamictal - that's how it's suppose to be done to keep the chances of developing the rash at bay. Actually it is VERY rare to develop the rash, so I doubt you will find anyone here who has dealt with it. I would say if you develop more than 3 bumps close together then that would be the time to start wondering and have it checked out. Otherwise, don't stress yourself out.