Notices

Coaching Youth Sports(Parents From Hell)

Old 06-27-2006, 03:12 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Coaching Youth Sports(Parents From Hell)

My son plays on a recreational 5th and 6th grade team.

Tonight they were shorthanded and I volunteered to help coach third base, the head coach ran the team.

Long story short, it was the last inning and we were losing 2 to 1. We had runners on second and third with two outs.

Well the ball got by the catcher and I told the runner to stay at third figuring if he got thrown out at home, that would be a tough way to lose the game.

Well some of the parents of the kids on my sons team started screaming at me for not sending the kid because that would have tied the game.

They were friggin yelling at me and one of the kids on my sons team started yelling at my son that if we lose it is his Dads fault!! I couldnt believe it!

I had plenty of reasons for not sending the kid because I had a gut feeling about the kid batting.

So with two outs and two strikes he lines a pitch up the middle, both runners scored and we won the game 3 to 2.

What pisses me off and irks me to no end is that I made the right decision in the end and no one came over to me after the game and apologized for being jerks.

If we lost 2 to 1 it would have been my fault according to them, but what if the kid had been out at home and we still lost 2 to 1? Would they have been mad at me for sending him?

I was overjoyed for the boy that got the game winning hit and without thinking I ran across the field to first base and picked him up in a bear hug and carried him off the field.

He had three game winning hits coming into this game, and I figured give him another chance, and he came through and now a 12 year old will go to bed tonight feeling very good about himself and his effort.

I could live without some of the parents though!

Why oh why does a situation like that irritate the hell out of me? Oh yeah, now I remember, people, places and things.(Acceptance) AAAUUURRRGGGHH!!
Old 06-27-2006, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
To Life!

((((Mike))))
And remember too, you don't own their behavior...
Their shame is all theirs.
(Imagine having those parents as the parents of your students for the year! )

Shalom!
Old 06-27-2006, 06:18 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Don't get undies in a bunch

Try being the ump or a ref *LOL*

I am a lic. soccer ref so they thought...ok he can do the baseball as a fill in.

You not only get parents yellling, you sure can get a coach yelling as well *LOL*

Say no if ever asked *LOL*

Just need remember...parents are jerks, kids are kids. We are there for the kids.
Old 06-29-2006, 04:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
On The Bus

I Ran The Scenario By My Pdoc

His only comment, "you are too thin skinned." He suggested psychotherapy to learn how to deal with aggressive people.