Notices

George Carlin Letter

Old 06-23-2006, 12:54 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

George Carlin Letter

I posted a letter by George Carlin, written after his wife died. The gave it to us at the V A Hospital. I posted it on "Alcoholism Board", you might want to read it. I think it applys to all of us. Not sure how to post it here also. Maybe, someone can help. Don W
Old 06-23-2006, 01:47 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I am a huge fan of George Carlin. I love his work and think he is somewhat of a modern day philosopher. Although he is somewhat pessimistic he makes so much sense in his stand ups.
Old 06-23-2006, 02:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

The V A Hospital is starting to use some of his work and wit to teach us how to laugh. They are feeling that although recovery is serious, we don't always have to be serious in life. They are also planning trips for the Veterans. During the week they take people in the Program out to movies, museums etc. Even some of the Fishing Lodges have got involved in taking the guys fishing. While I was there, all the lobstermen in the Rockport, Mass area gave up a day of pulling traps. Instead they got together and took the Veterans out deep sea fishing. I think it is a good idea and so do the other Veterans. Instead of just telling us to fill our extra time with hobbies, they are exposing us to some of them. Anyway, one of our clases was watching different skits by George Carlin. All we had to do was to sit there sober and laugh. The VA Hospital in bedford, mass is the leader in the country of setting the models for other V A hospitals to establish their programs. also, they are on the cutting edge of studing the medical side of addiction/depression. I believe that there is a day, very close, that they will be unlocking many hidden aspects of addictions/depression. Anyway, many of us hadn't laughed like that in years without alcohol/drugs.