smoking and PAWS?

Old 05-28-2006, 11:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
To Life!

Question smoking and PAWS?

Guy,
Just looking for some information here. And wondering what are your thoughts on the following issue.

Today is my six month anniversary of quitting smoking. And I'm wondering if PAWS is an appropriate description for smoke cessation. Here's a definition, just for common understanding. Feel free to correct it if you deem it wrong.

"PAWS is an acronym for Post Acute Withdrawal Syndrome. Post-acute withdrawal is a bio-psycho-social syndrome. It results from the combination of damage to the nervous system caused by alcohol or drugs and the psychosocial stress of coping with life without drugs or alcohol.

The symptoms of PAW typically grow to peak intensity over three to six months after abstinence begins. The damage is usually reversible, meaning the major symptoms go away in time if proper treatment is received.

TYPES OF PAW SYMPTOMS:
1. Inability to think clearly
2. Memory problems
3. Emotional overreactions or numbness
4. Sleep disturbances
5. Physical coordination problems
6. Stress sensitivity"

So, I am wondering if smoke cessation leads to PAWS symptoms too? I'm really interested if "coping with life without drugs or alcohol" includes nicotine?

I can say without doubt, that I've dealt with the first, second, third, forth, and sixth of the symptoms since I've quit.

Thanks for your thoughts!

Shalom!
Old 05-30-2006, 07:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Guy, this sounds very much like what my oldest son is going through. He has 5 years sobriety, and quit smoking about 2 or 3 months ago. He said he is having terrible memory problems. He just lost about $200 worth of tools because he left them in a boat he was working on. Is this something that happens after serious drug and alcohol abuse, or might it be the result of his quitting smoking? I know a lot of chemical changes take place in the body when you quit.
Thanks
Old 05-31-2006, 01:22 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
alconaut

Historyteach - this is a great subject, and I'll be interested in what Guy has to say. When I first read it I wasn't too thrilled, having been through all that I have after quitting drinking. Since I quit smoking almost 3 months ago, I thought "Oh no, not again!" (with regard to possibly going through PAWS again or exacerbating leftover symptoms). It's no picnic.

Naturally I had to come up with some kind of thought to comfort myself, which is that nicotine isn't a mind-altering substance (I think some people would challenge that statement, though I definitely agree it's mood-altering), so it's not like having to adjust to a different world after being intoxicated for so long. I hope you find comfort in that thought too.

Thanks for the interesting topic though..... I anticipate Guy's response.
Old 05-31-2006, 05:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am on day 5 with the patches. Yes, its a passionate hell I am in: depression, boredom, blackness.

But, I am convinced that I am finally through with the fags.

The patches help, but the edge is still very much there.