Notices

Valerian Root

Old 03-07-2006, 07:12 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Valerian Root

Valerian is a powerful nervine, stimulant, carminative and antispasmodic.
It has a remarkable influence on the cerebro-spinal system, and is used as a sedative to the higher nerve centres in conditions ofnervous unrest, St. Vitus's dance, hypochrondriasis, neuralgic pains and the like.

The drug allays pain and promotes sleep. It is of especial use and benefit to those suffering from nervous overstrain, as it possesses none of the after-effects produced by narcotics.

I never wanted to take prescription drugs because of the many side effects that most have. I have been using Valerian Root for several months now to keep my anxiety under control.
It has worked incredibly well for me. Depending on what brand you get and where you buy it at, the price can vary, but a bottle will usually cost me around $10 and last for a couple of months.

I just thought I would share this with those of you who are not into taking prescriptions to treat your anxiety.

Has anyone else tried this and had this work for them also?
Old 03-07-2006, 02:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
On The Bus

Yes

I have tried it, and found to have pretty good results. I may try it again in the future. I detected an unpleasant odor when first opening the bottle, but in time became accustomed to the peculiar fragrance.

Overall, I would say it had a calming effect on me. Wonder why I stopped?
Old 03-08-2006, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I use it in herbal tea, but I don't think enough is in it to affect me.

I am fearful of using this along with the antidepressants I am on currently. I would love to stop the RX antidepressants but am reluctant to do so....
Old 03-08-2006, 02:45 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Valerian is WONDERFUL and absolutely natural and all good. Glad it works for you. hugs, milla
Old 03-08-2006, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Wolf,

It is good to be fearful of using anything along with the anti-depressants without asking a doctor first. I don't know if Valerian can have any negative interactions, but it is not worth trying without being positive.

I also don't know if Valerian would work for everyone, but it has worked well for me. I have not had a single panic attack when taking them.
If you ever do stop the RX, I recommend trying it.
Old 03-09-2006, 02:51 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Yiggi iggi oh!

Valerian Root is great. It smells terrible, but I sleep great whenever I take it. I would highly recommend trying it before going Rx.

I picked it up after watching Fight Club, when the doctor wouldn't prescribe Edward Norton anything, but told him to chew Valerian Root.
Old 03-12-2006, 01:52 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I started taking it about a month ago when I got off of Librium. I'm not sure if it works or not as I am still in the detox stage.
Old 03-14-2006, 09:57 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Im Glad To See It Works Well. I Have Always Had Terrible Anxiety And Used To Take A Variety Of Benzodiapines. Now Id Rather Not Take Those Drugs And Maybe Will Try The Valerian Root. Does Anyone Know Of A Website With Good Prices?
Old 03-15-2006, 08:12 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Texas Tony,

You can get them at a GNC if there is one near you and they sell online. If there is a Rite Aid or CVS near you, I believe they sell them as well and I think they have an online store also. You should be able to get them for under $10.

I don't think there is any difference between the differents brands, but make sure there is at least 400mg. I take two capsules of 400mg, so 800mg works for me.
Good Luck if you decide to try it, I hope it works for you!

Jim
Old 03-15-2006, 12:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Grace Under Fire

I'm going to try it. Thanks!
Old 03-19-2006, 12:18 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by BigPicture
Texas Tony,

You can get them at a GNC if there is one near you and they sell online. If there is a Rite Aid or CVS near you, I believe they sell them as well and I think they have an online store also. You should be able to get them for under $10.

I don't think there is any difference between the differents brands, but make sure there is at least 400mg. I take two capsules of 400mg, so 800mg works for me.
Good Luck if you decide to try it, I hope it works for you!

Jim
Hi, Thanks for the info! I actually found some on ebay for a good deal and Im just waiting on that. They are 450mg. I hope it helps, because my next option was talk with the doctor about buspar (no benzos). Thanks take care
Old 03-19-2006, 02:39 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
How Important Is It?

I tried it for a while when I was having difficulty sleeping. It helped me sleep, but it gave me a terrible "hangover" the next morning. I walked around like a zombie all day.

Myself, I wouldn't use it again, but herbs affect different people in different ways. If it works for you, that's great.
Old 03-21-2006, 09:52 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Valerian root worked well for me for a while except when stressful situations became more intense. It really did not help me sleep though,a nd made me groggier in the morning and during the time I was on it I had a more difficult time with getting emotional and not being able to control my crying spells. Not sure if that was from the Valerian or do to the part of my codependency recovery work, which hit some emotional nerves.