Notices

Having A Hard Time Letting Go

Old 02-11-2006, 07:50 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Question Having A Hard Time Letting Go

I am just having a hard time letting go and letting God right now. I am having a real difficult time with step 6. It is hard to let go of something that you like and yet the thing that you like is very harmful or is it just human. I don't know but I have really been beating myself up for my personality lately it is just hard to explain I guess I don't know. Are there any suggestions here that some of you could give me on this? I just think that I am scared or maybe that I might have to be righteous or something I am not sure but this one area of myself I don't want to let it go. OK this probably isn't making any sense but I am going to put it out there. Thanks for your feed back

Love Vic
Old 02-11-2006, 08:03 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Vic,

I know what you mean about letting go, it's so hard to let go of something that you know is so bad for you. Something or someone that causes you so much pain. I have to let go of an addict that I'm in love with, it's just so hard... I know that this is a bit different from what you are letting go of, but with alot of simalarities at the same time...
Old 02-11-2006, 08:22 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Vic - I am working steps 6 / 7, too. As I was working through the questions in the NA step guide I had a spiritual epiphany.

Instead of listing all of my character defects and working on each one to let the go, I say instead - "god, let me be as YOU would have me be. Let me do as YOU would have me do."

For me, that was a total and complete shift in perspective. I immediately felt calm and at peace.

So, I am not picking apart my defects, I am just continually giving myself to god.

Make sense?
Old 02-12-2006, 07:49 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me , it helps me to ask to do God's will for me and not my own. It's all about control for me, I want to hang on to everything and control it. I'm learning that life goes alot smoother when I let go and let God.
Old 02-12-2006, 09:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
REZ

I have been working step 6 too. Letting go of character defects is hard! Here's some things that have helped me:
1. Progress not perfection. I need to give myself credit for how far I have come and stop getting so down on myself for my shortcomings.
2. Replace something bad with something good. I can't really let go over something until I can find something to take its place. For me, character defects are coping strategies (not good ones!). I must find new coping strategies that work.
3. Stop obsessing. A watched pot never boils and an obsessed on character defects never goes away.
4. Trust the process, God, etc.