Notices

Question: Nodding out a withdrawal symptom?

Old 02-07-2006, 08:33 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Starry Girl

Question: Nodding out a withdrawal symptom?

Is nodding out a symptom of heroin withdrawal? My husband insists it is. I tend to think it is a sign of using, not withdrawal.

thanks...
Old 02-07-2006, 08:38 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not based on my experience. Nodding was a sign of using not withdrawl
Old 02-07-2006, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
the girl can't help it

I vote using...
Old 02-07-2006, 02:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Using!

when I was withdrawling, I couldn't sleep if I tried.
Old 02-07-2006, 03:07 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I've looked at several websites now for withdrawal symptoms for heroin and not one of them even comes close to suggesting that nodding indicates withdrawal rather than usage.
Old 02-07-2006, 04:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I'm sorry but that's complete BS. Is he going thru 'withdrawal' now and telling you these things because he's glassy eyed all the time? If so you better wise up quick because heroin withdrawal does NOT make you feel numb to the world or uneffected by external stimuli. Signs for withdrawal differ from person to person, but as for me you would notice extensive sweating from daily activities, loss of energy and terrible cramps. Also, the bowels are affected quite a bit - but I don't think you wanna go there. I'm 9 days off and still have significantly obvious symptoms. Paul
Old 02-07-2006, 08:59 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

I agree with the others. Generally speaking, withdrawal symptoms tend to be the opposite of what the drug caused. I would expect him to be sleepless if he's withdrawing. BUT, I gotta add this: Because I was sleepless several nights and my sleep pattern didn't straighten out for months, I was regularly very sleepy or nodding out during the day. My body would finally crash for a little while ( a few hours at best), then I'd be miserably sleepy but awake for about another 24 hours until my body finally crashed again. Just another perspective. One single behavior isn't a very good indicator of whether a person is using or withdrawing. I think "clusters" of symptoms are a better indicator.
Old 02-07-2006, 11:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Being sleepy, yes a sign of withdrawal. Nodding off, no. At least for me, and my addicted mother, when we were in withdrawal we would be cognizant enough to realize we were tired and lay down or go to bed instead of nodding off just anywhere. Why? Because we have enough of our faculties back to recognize how we feel and how to act appropriately.
Old 02-08-2006, 07:10 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Nodding is not part of my withdrawl story either, I didn't sleep for 4 days and I laid in bed kicking my legs and trowing my arms and banging my head.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 02-08-2006, 08:22 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Big Idiot Man Child

sounds like someone is lying to ya. nodding off is not a sign of withdrawal. puking, crapping liquid, sweating, moaning, crying, screaming, grabbing the sides of your head, intense pain --- those are withdrawal symptoms.
Old 02-08-2006, 04:14 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

well put windy.
Old 02-10-2006, 07:00 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Starting Over

Whenever I stopped shooting dope, the FIRST WD symptom to hit me was exhaustion (sp?). I would be so tired I could barely keep my eyes open. Now, this only lasted about 8-10 hours and then sleep becomes a scarce thing.
Old 08-22-2017, 02:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MeggieStar View Post
Is nodding out a symptom of heroin withdrawal? My husband insists it is. I tend to think it is a sign of using, not withdrawal.

thanks...
I thought I might be the only person in the world with this symptom. On the first day of withdrawal I nod out and fall asleep uncontrollably. I can not drive a car because I would nod off and crash. . It is very possible because this happens to me. I will say I have never met anyone else who gets this though so its very rare. If anyone else experiences this please let me know. Worst part is, people always think im lying and have just used when in fact i have not used since the day before. This only happens to me on the first day of withdrawal, but it happens every single time without fail. I wake up sweaty and feeling like crap.