Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Narcotics Addiction-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

How I understand the principles in the first three traditions

Notices

Old 01-29-2006, 07:23 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Addict

I am currently engaged in some step work. So, I just wanted to share my thoughts on the principles of the first three tradtions with the readers of this forum.

My Sponsor asked me the following question among others: Read the first three traditions. Explain the principles that you understand in them. This was only one question out of 20.

As we know, our first tradition states that "Our common welfare comes first. Personally recovery depends on NA unity" I understand the principle in the first tradition to be Unity. Unity is essential to the survival of the group and the individual because we need each other in order to recover.

The second tradition states, "For our group purpose their is but one ultimate authority, a loving God as he may express himself in our group conscience. Our leaders are but trusted servants they do not govern." I understand the principle in this tradition to be Vigilance. I arrived at that understanding because it says in the Basic Text on page 61 "We must be constantly on gaurd that our decisions are truly an expression of God's will." I understand this to be about vigilance.

The third tradition states that "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using." I understood the principle in this tradition to be desire. However, my sponsor explained to me that the principle in this tradition is Equality. No one can measure desire in a persons heart. This tradition states that desire is all that is needed for membership. Just being in a meeting alone shows desire. On this note, I would like to share a personal experience. I was once sitting in a meeting when I noticed a man in a deep nod. He was not nodding from exhaustion, but from heroin. This was the first time that I had ever seen this in a meeting, so of course I was shocked. I know that I was not the only one who noticed this, but no one said anything. No one asked this man to leave. Afterwards, I mentioned what I saw to another member who just happens to have some substantial clean time. He then looked at me and said, "The only requirement for membership is a desire to stop using." I then understood. To me this was a powerful manifestation of this tradition.

Before I end I just want to say that I undersatand equality to mean that no one member is more important than the other. We are all one drink, one snort, one shot, one puff, one blast, or one pill away from the next one. BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD THERE GO I...
Old 01-29-2006, 07:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by deenrose
Before I end I just want to say that I undersatand equality to mean that no one member is more important than the other. We are all one drink, one snort, one shot, one puff, one blast, or one pill away from the next one. BUT FOR THE GRACE OF GOD THERE GO I...
Good stuff Deenrose!

I got my understanding of unity after an area business meeting one day.

I was unhappy and resentful because I disagreed with someone about the way we were going about outlining our plan for raising money for a convention.

I left that meeting feeling angry and frustrated because we seemed to debate everything for so long when it should be simple enough to come to a decision.

I had just got home and within a few minutes I heard a couple bikes zoom by and the a few more and as I stood and watched about 3000 motorcycles went by on a run to raise money for a camp for terminally ill kids.

After ward I started to understand that unity was about being able to unite toward a common goal despite our differences. I mean after all put any dozen bikers together in the same place for 20 minutes and they can find 30 things to argue about..lol But there they were united 3000 strong donating $10 ea to raise money so some dying child could go to camp.

And I understood what had just happend at that area business meeting.

and anonymity to me is the spiritual principle of all our traditions .. no one of us is any more or less significant as we each have gifts to recieve and share with each other. It has less to do wth names than when I first heard and mispronounced it. lol
Old 01-29-2006, 07:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Recovering Addict

Thank you Gooch.
Old 01-30-2006, 09:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
REZ

For me the second tradition is about humility and democracy. I am a currently GSR of our group. As a trusted servant, I have to remember that I am there to serve the group, not to dominate it or impose my will on it. Democracy comes into the group's decision-making process: what we should do as a group should be what we are lead by our higher power to do, not what one person or a couple of people decide is best for the group. It is a group decision.
Old 01-31-2006, 07:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

Originally Posted by deenrose
Ya, but isn't there supposed to be a most important person? How does that work in?

aa
la
Old 03-08-2006, 10:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
It's a luxury to be understood

Hey Deenrose,

I know this is an old post but I'm new to the sight and have been serching for anythink talking about the traditions. I'm new to service work and it seems that my lack of knowledge of the traditions and how to apply them puts me in a ugly spot sometimes. I love that the traditios not only work in service but they actually work in my daily life. Some of the principles I have come to relate to the traditions are: Tradition one - Selfless, Love and Unity. Tradition two - Surrender, and Tradition Three - Tolerance and Acceptance. I think that's awsome that your sponsor weaves the traditions into your step work.

Hangnail
Old 03-09-2006, 02:14 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Your absolutely right .. The principles of the steps and traditions are for use in our daily life.

Can't talk now but if my ffriend Todd has a chance to read this I'm sure he'll have some good stuff to add.