Notices

I Need An Na Sponsor

Old 01-19-2006, 04:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
cindy31

Question I Need An Na Sponsor

Hi. Found this site today, went to chat and couldn't find anyone on. I am in Upper Michigan and in my small town, cannot find a sponsor. Someone said that one can have a sponsor states away via phone and email.
Xanax was my drug of choice, and I have been clean from it since April 22, 05 and everything else since Oct. 9. 05.
I am on Step 4 now, scared to begin, and would love to have a sponsor.
Someone who has been clean for at least a few yrs.
I would love an email with directions on how to go about finding a sponsor.
[email protected]
Thanks!

Last edited by best; 01-01-2007 at 10:58 PM. Reason: e-mail removal
Old 01-19-2006, 04:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

Every chick I ever agreed to sponsor ended up trying to take advantage of me.

aa
la
Old 01-19-2006, 04:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Viper

I've always prefered and seen good stuff happen using the tried and true common sense approach of men to men, women to women. Good luck Cindy, don't stop looking!

Old 01-19-2006, 05:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by cindy31
I would love an email with directions on how to go about finding a sponsor.

Thanks!
Sponsorship
Old 01-19-2006, 05:46 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Originally Posted by andyaddict
Every chick I ever agreed to sponsor ended up trying to take advantage of me.

aa
la
Thank God you keep coming back!!! LOL

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 01-19-2006, 06:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Read the link Gooch posted. It's the best info around.

BTW, I was taught that you need a sponsor to guide you through the steps. Not start them on your own and then look for a sponsor. it's difficult without knowledgable support.
Old 02-02-2006, 12:26 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
cindy31

Thanks you all for writing me.
I still haven't gotten one.
Is there anyone out there who will be my sponsor? A female who is in her 30's (or I guess it doesn't matter, but I am 31), who has been clean for a while.

Peace, Cindy

Last edited by best; 01-01-2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: e-mail removal
Old 02-02-2006, 07:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

Originally Posted by cindy31
Thanks you all for writing me.
I still haven't gotten one.
Is there anyone out there who will be my sponsor? A female who is in her 30's (or I guess it doesn't matter, but I am 31), who has been clean for a while.

Peace, Cindy
I see you say that the female requirement didn't matter, but it still might be a good idea. Like you, I'm in my 30s too and might be an easy target for you to act out on/toward. Also, being as I'm single, good looking, rich, and lonely, I would be very susceptible to even the most innocent advances. I'm sorry, but you might do better looking for someone closer to you anyway, besides, I'm just to vulnerable these days.

hopefully yours

andy

Last edited by best; 01-01-2007 at 10:57 PM. Reason: e-mail removal
Old 02-03-2006, 10:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I'm also looking for a NA sponser, however I live in L.A., CA. It seems so difficult to locate one. Why aren't there more people trying to help on this thread?

I feel desperate but seems that no one else seems to be interested. Except for OC NA sponser who believes that woman only want to take advantage of him. That to me sounds kinds of arrogant when people are crying out for help. Very discouraging.
Old 02-03-2006, 10:48 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Day by day....

Hi Agent - as a veteran in NA most of the time sponsors are found in your local NA home groups by listening to others share and finding someone who "has what you want". It's kind of uncommon to search out a sponsor online - although temporarily sometimes that works until another can be found. I don't think it's that people don't want to help....and it is usually a bad idea to have female/male sonsorship relationships. Not always.....but alot of times.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:30 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I was taught that I can't be running around soliciting or selling myself to sponsees. That would be arrogant. I was also taught that the person needs to find someone they are comfortable with. They need to do the footwork. they need to humble themselves and ask someone.

My sponsors didn't find me, or call me. I had to find them and i had to call them. I was taught that if I wanted what they had, I had to go and get it. Just like I had to go and get my drugs, I had to go and get my recovery.

Try reading the NA sponsorship pamphlet. Look around and find someone who has what you want. Someone you feel comfortable with. Then ask them to sponsor you.

Simple program, not easy.
Old 01-01-2007, 09:48 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Can someone tell me what a certified NA counselor is? We are forever non- professional.
Old 01-01-2007, 10:20 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by agent alias View Post
I'm also looking for a NA sponser, however I live in L.A., CA. It seems so difficult to locate one. Why aren't there more people trying to help on this thread?

I feel desperate but seems that no one else seems to be interested. Except for OC NA sponser who believes that woman only want to take advantage of him. That to me sounds kinds of arrogant when people are crying out for help. Very discouraging.

I agree. Sometimes its next to impossible. I recently went to a meeting in Rock Springs, Wyoming. Small town. There was like only two girls at the meeting. Both with only a couple months. Neither one had a sponsor. Because there pretty much wasnt anyone. The nearest big city was Salt Lake. A couple hundred miles. However, in LA it shouldnt be a problem. And unlike Andy, I am butt ugly, flat broke, attached, and far from lonely. In a small town it might be best to even go find a sponsor in AA until you can find an NA sponsor. Maybe wait for an NA convention to come around in a nearby city. Either way, I highly recommend finding someone ASAP. And defineatly the same sex.
Originally Posted by dcmtoday View Post
Can someone tell me what a certified NA counselor is? We are forever non- professional.
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/179589-post9.html Now thats funny. Actually, this was a good thread. http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...step-work.html And you can read about how Andy became an "NA certified counselor"

Last edited by Time2Surrender; 01-01-2007 at 10:46 PM.
Old 02-03-2007, 04:22 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Sponsor

I have been clean for a year and am currently beginning my first step. I have been uable to find a descent sponsor as I am suffering from social anxiety and find it difficult to have an one on one relationship with a sponsor. So, i have decided to find a sponsor with whom i can contact via email. I don't care how long you;'ve been clean, just as long as you have done your steps as I would like to do mine as soon as possible.

Please email me if you're interested....

thanks
Old 02-03-2007, 04:25 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Unhappy discouraging

Originally Posted by namommy View Post
Read the link Gooch posted. It's the best info around.

BTW, I was taught that you need a sponsor to guide you through the steps. Not start them on your own and then look for a sponsor. it's difficult without knowledgable support.

You're very discouraging...I'm sure there are reasons for seaking sponsors online....
Old 02-04-2007, 01:06 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Hi Cindy31,

Welcome!!

I agree that finding a sponsor and allowing that sponsor to guide you through the steps (all of them) is usually how it goes...and from my experience, it's most effective. Yet, I've also heard of members being sponsored by the group until a sponsor can be found. Getting a sponsor can be difficult when there aren't many meetings available or when there aren't members with sufficient step work experience or willingness available. It reminds me of the times when I was looking for my DOC and had to go searching all over the place to get what I wanted. I think the same principle applies when looking for a sponsor.

When I was new, I asked at least 5 or 6 guys to sponsor me before I found one. I went through the process of attending meetings daily and listening to other members share. When I saw someone I thought I could relate to, I asked them how much time they had clean and whether they had completed the steps. If they had considerable clean time, been through the steps and were willing to take on a new sponsee...these are the ones we look for. Being willing to dedicate their time and share their experience is very important. I wouldn't want someone to say yes, then never be available for me.

As already suggested, the IP on Sponsorship pretty much outlines what we need to do to get a sponsor. The key is not giving up and continue to look and listen. I really don't believe in online sponsorship because it isn't personal enough for me. One-on-one (face to face), men with men and women with women is what works best.
Old 02-04-2007, 06:46 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

Gary, you DO realize that she hasn't posted on this site for over a year right? Just wondering.

a
Old 02-04-2007, 11:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Heck no!! (hehehe) I'm a newbie here...I still can't figure out how to use the smilies, change fonts, etc...

What I have noticed is that very few NA members post here regularly. It appears to be more of an AA site, eh?
Old 02-05-2007, 07:06 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

We've had a changing of the guard here in the last year or so, and in doing so they've opted to limit our privileges here like smiles among other things. That's an option in the admin panel that one well meaning person or another decided wasn't necessary, or they flubbed up and don't know how the click it back.

Most the regular NA members kind of trickled off during this past year too. One well-meaning NA member from the half-measured Traditions Enforcement Unit made a stink about this forum being called "Narcotics Anonymous" while being sponsored by "Sober Recovery" so they changed it to Narcotics Addiction... which to me implies using rather than clean.

Now.. that enthusiastic member that came here to make all that stink seldom posts here anymore. Anyway... some history for ya here.

a
Old 02-05-2007, 09:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

That is usually the way. Just like the Athiest that wanted God taken from schools and all that, She is now a Christian and wants it back. go figure!!
Peace,
Todd J.