Notices

AA/NA Sponsorship question

Old 01-17-2006, 10:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question AA/NA Sponsorship question

I'm an alcoholic, coming up on 9 years sober. Started working with a newcomer about 2 months ago who I met at an AA meeting. Real great guy, real enthusiastic about recovery and willing to follow directions. Seems to be able to identify with and exhibits the classic personality traits/delusional thinking that our common to us alcoholics. I only have one concern. I'm not sure he's an alcoholic anymore, I think he's a meth addict instead. Meth seems to have been the great chemical love of his life, while drinking was an amusing hobby. For me, it was the other way around. Drugs were fun, but I was able to put the ones I used down without too much trouble while I'd drink no matter what. For that reason, I'm wondering if he might be better served by having an NA sponsor, but I don't know enough about drug addiction, NA and how you guys work the program. I'd hate to give the guy up as a sponsee, but I don't want to hamper his reecovery if he'd be better off with an addict sponsor. How different are alcoholism and meth addiction? Comments?
Old 01-17-2006, 10:47 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I like to think of NA as a one stop shop. We deal with the disease of addiction, the disease of More, it isn't substance specific. Im addicted to drugs I have never tried, I'm addicted to different alcohol drinks, I've never tried. It is quite possible that he can relate better with other addicts, though I believe an alcoholic is an addict because to me alcohol is the most prevalent drug around. As far as NA sponsorship, I know my sponsorship family writes a hella lot. The power of the Pen, so to speak.
Old 01-17-2006, 10:59 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

He's going to be writing if he sticks with me, thats for sure. Work with another alcoholic who did a lot of meth too, maybe I'll get him involved. Thanks for the advice!
Old 01-17-2006, 11:12 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

no problem, good luck and it will work out the way it is suppose to
Old 01-17-2006, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

I believe that we relate more on the recovery issues more that a substance as well. One is too many and a thousand is never enough. Alcohol is not a beverage, its a drug!! I find NA to be the source that enables me to find a new way to live.
My sponsor and his sponsor and their sponsors and the men I sponsor,we all attend NA, we all have home groups, we all do service work, and we all write steps from the Step working Guide. We are each others eye's and ears.

Many many years ago I had a sponsor who worked the steps with me, I have learned alot from him, he attends AA now, and we have talked over the years, My NA sponsor today I gain alot from and he does from me too, its a 2-way street.

I really don't believe its the drug that differs us from one another, its the disease of obsession and compulsion, diferent rates of disease and different rates of recovery. Although, I think one who attends NA should have and NA sponsor and so on..

We write and go over step work, the Power of hte Pen and the process of application, its a beautiful thing.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 01-17-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The way it works out here is that there is only one disease, and only one program of recovery. However, every human being is different. The place where the two meet is the _fellowship_ in which an individual identifies.

I have some good friends in OA. I attended some of their meetings. I identified not at all with their discussion of Jenny Craig, and especially not with the concept of "healthy consumption" of their drug of choice: food. They practice the same spiritual steps I do; the twelve steps, but the specific behaviors they use in the application of the twelve steps are very different from the actions I need to practice.

The different fellowships, and the different "special interest" groups within each fellowship exist for the purpose of providing identification and opportunities for action. Which specific fellowship, sponsor and group are best for each person is a matter of that person's needs at the time. Those needs will change with growth. A sponsor, a group, a fellowship, are not forever. Only the HP and the program are forever.

The short version of the above is "If it works, don't fix it"

Mike :-)
Old 01-17-2006, 01:13 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

I had an AA sponsorwhen I first got clean, but I went to NA meetings...this made me confused a lot of the time. AA and NA are similar programs of recovery, but they are different in a few very important ways.

For me, I found a home in NA and I switched sponsors when I had about 3 months clean. It was dangerous for me to go to an AA meeting when someone would talk about smoking pot or eating pain pills and still being sober b/c they didn't drink. I can't do that. NA is a program of complete abstinance from all drugs. I need that rigidness.

Meth is a dangerous and scary drug. Maybe he would be better served in NA where he could find a greater level of identification since his problems go farther than alcoholism? Get him to check it out and to "get in where he fits in" whichever program that may be...

Good luck, I'll pray for you both...
Blake
Old 01-17-2006, 03:06 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

It's the same disease or problem.
Alcoholism, addiction , co-dependency.
Drug of chioce,liqurd of chioce, methode of chioce.

Something about; CUNNING,BAFFLING,POWERFUL.
Lets ponder or reflex on that a while.
mmmmm... wonder why they bother to waste ink printing
those words.lmaf

You all see the arrow on the Fed Ex logo..yes ???
You see what you want to see.

Did you also know that you have blinde spots ?
It's from all the nerves vessles connected to the cornian
in a consentrated area on the back of your eyes.
One for each eye..You don't see it of course.
Why is that ?????....Your brain is creating an illusion,images.
So, do you actaully see the truth.lmaf
So what is realality to you ???
You still see the illusion the brain is creating at this very second, don't ya?

PLus being alki/addict/codi. You have a twisted view of everything
to begin with. Some have shades on, others wear the glass backwards,
some have lots and lots of scracthes on their goggles.
Old 01-17-2006, 07:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

collinsmi

I suggest the following 3 things...

attend a few Open NA meetings together.

Get your sponsee a copy of the Narcotics Anonymous Basic Text for him to read

Read the pamphlet on NA 'Sponsorship'
http://www.na.org/pdf/litfiles/us_english/IP/EN3111.pdf

Read the pamphlet
'Am I An Addict'
http://www.na.org/pdf/litfiles/us_english/IP/EN3107.pdf

Read the pamphlet 'For the newcomer"
http://www.na.org/pdf/litfiles/us_english/IP/EN3116.pdf

Read the pamphlet 'Welcome to Narcotics Anonymous'
http://www.na.org/pdf/litfiles/us_english/IP/EN3122.pdf

Read the pamphlet 'Who, What, How, and Why'
http://www.na.org/pdf/litfiles/us_english/IP/EN3101.pdf

armed with these experiences, I think he will come to a decision that will sit well with him.
Old 01-18-2006, 09:17 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
REZ

I started my recovery in NA but I have gone to AA meetings on a regular basis throughout the years. For a period of time, I only went to AA meetings and not NA meetings. I have had NA sponsors and AA sponsors. I agree with what others have shared: if it works, don't fix it. The bottom line is that sponsorship is all about working the steps. If your sponsee is doing a good job of working the steps with you, keep a good thing going.
Old 01-18-2006, 10:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

It might help to remember why NA was started by a member of AA.

"I found A.A and in that Fellowship met addicts who had also found the program to be the answer to their problem.
However, we knew that many were still going down the road to disillusion, degradation and death, because they were unable to identify with the alcoholic in A.A. Their identification was at the level of apparent symptoms and not at the deeper level of emotions or feelings, where empathy becomes a healing therapy for all addicted people.

With several other addicts and some members of A.A. who had great faith in
us and the program, we formed, in July of 1953, what we now know as
Narcotics Anonymous. We felt that now the addict would find from the start
as much identification as each needed to convince himself that he could
stay clean, by the example of others who had recovered for many years.
That this was what was principally needed, has proved itself in these
passing years. "

Jimmy K
Old 01-18-2006, 11:26 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
doing the inside job

yeah...but If you just simply read the AA Big Book
and not just toss it out there....read the book!!!, read the book !!!
Walk the talk, you'll know damn will...there's drugs mention all
over the place, addictive ,complusive personally,co-dependency...etc
The whole ball of wax.

will..you know about the MJ maintenace in AA. And yeah I get
sick and tire of peaple do that crap that you don't belong
to AA you're not an alki, like I need sometype of qualification.
like it's freaken pip to be an alki or something.
Not everybody is like that.
Some peaple are sicker than other..but it dose gets old.
Wonder how and why NA was formed ?
Old 01-18-2006, 01:28 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Bill W. wrote a letter in the grapevine clearly pointing out that AA was for Alcoholics and dealt with problems as they relate to alcohol....

It was entitiled "problems other than alcohol" and can be read here
Old 01-18-2006, 02:26 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Originally Posted by nutz
Wonder how and why NA was formed ?
The post posted some time before your answers your question!

It might help to remember why NA was started by a member of AA.

"I found A.A and in that Fellowship met addicts who had also found the program to be the answer to their problem.
However, we knew that many were still going down the road to disillusion, degradation and death, because they were unable to identify with the alcoholic in A.A. Their identification was at the level of apparent symptoms and not at the deeper level of emotions or feelings, where empathy becomes a healing therapy for all addicted people.

With several other addicts and some members of A.A. who had great faith in
us and the program, we formed, in July of 1953, what we now know as
Narcotics Anonymous. We felt that now the addict would find from the start
as much identification as each needed to convince himself that he could
stay clean, by the example of others who had recovered for many years.
That this was what was principally needed, has proved itself in these
passing years. "

Jimmy K
Its not about this Fellowship does that and all that b^llsh!t, we put that there through our own perception, Reality is only anotgher perspctive away, Got to go outside our own thinking box.

AA is a wonderful program, most feel they don't belong there because disrespect for there Traditions. If you call yyourself an Anda there, the 3rd Tradition states "The only requirement is a desire to stop drinking." Yeah But nothing, when members come to NA those same members think at 30 clean folks should be Basic Text Puppets, do we forget we had to learn all this stuff.

I serve NA and Sponsor members who attend NA and My sponsor Attends NA. In the Local Guide to Service when members serve committees, a question asked to hold a position, Do you have an NA sponsor? Just like the clean time required to hold any fullfillment sponsorship is important.

Like Richie suggested, attend some NA meetings with him and he will comne to terms for himself.

The Greatest part of this recovery process is we get to be active participants.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 01-18-2006, 03:54 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Thank all of you for your help!!!