Notices

Probation problem....Anyone with experience?

Old 01-10-2006, 05:59 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Probation problem....Anyone with experience?

Hello... I have been dating a guy for over a year now and he has a substance abuse problem - he has recently dabbled with heroine and I have struggled to be there for him and to cut through his lies,etc. Just yesterday he finally agreed to go to meetings and to really try. I've never seen him so fed up with the crap he's been putting himself through and I've never seen him so determined before - so hopefully this is a true start to recovery for him. Unfortunately, the last time he used was this past Sunday and he was given a drug test at probation on Monday. He has no past record of drug problems or criminal activity besides the DWI that caused him to be on probation, he's been working at a great job for over a year now, and he really wants to try to recover. I really don't want to see him get a probation violation and end up losing everything. I'm wondering what is the best thing to do in this situation. Someone suggested that he let probation know now, before the drug test results come in, that he had taken a percocet, codeine, or vicoden (sp?) on Sunday due to back pain. He does have back problems and actually has an appointment with the chiropractor this week. But Im wondering - would this really work? From what I hear and have read, drug tests can only detect that you have an opiate in your system - not EXACTLY what opiate it is. However - someone also said that the probation dept. could send it to a lab for more testing. Im not sure if that is true or if they would take the time/money to do that for someone with an ALMOST completely clean crimnal history. I hope that someone out there can give me first-hand experience and advise. I would really really appreciate it. I just want to see him get better and I dont think losing his job, getting in legal trouble, etc. would be conducive to that. I appreciate any help! Thanks so much!
Worried in NY
Old 01-10-2006, 06:08 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Drug testing can detect the presence of an opiate. Percocet, tylenol 3, vicodin and heroin will all show up as positive opioid on field tests. (the cups) However, labs can detect a certain type of opiate, atoecentylnn morphine 6, which is inherent only to herion, nothing else.

This can identify the heroin and any masking by presription drugs does not work. Only heroin has the properties AM 6. AM 6 positives have been challenged and held up in court in quite a few states.

Some departments need to send this for an outside confirmation test, some have the technology right at their disposal in house, depends on the agency. It is true that most can send for a confirmation test, and do that often if they suspect heroin use but masking with a prescription opiate.

I am not saying this is your boyfriends case but heroin masking was/is a problem that most agencies recognize and have safe guards in place for. It has been going on for a long time. If he has scrips for these drugs he should show them to his PO, even with valid scrips he may get a confirmatory test anyway to check for heroin.

No scrip for the painkillers from a doctor (violation right there) or the use of heroin it is usually best to let the PO know up front. This increases the likelihood the PO will work with him (detox- rehab) if he is honest from the get go. If he jerks the chain of the PO he stands a greater chance of getting smoked.

Any other questions, I will let you know the open information about the technology that is public.
Old 01-10-2006, 06:15 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

percocet, codeine, or vicoden
These are opiates!!

As far as his relationship with probation goes, it depends on his honesty, and the past honesty with the probation officer. I don't know what the test will do, if he was honest before the test it might have helped, they may help him get into a rehab.

All these good things we get are just things, if we are killing ourselves, they go away just as fast as we got them. I might suggest you find help for yourself as well. Has he tried NA?

Peace,
Todd J.