Notices

Should I replace my sponsor?

Old 01-03-2006, 11:56 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Recovering Addict

Should I replace my sponsor?

I have a sponsor who I am not too sure about right now. I mean I don't know if he is good for me... I came out of treatment on 12/27/05. I have been attending meetings daily and staying clean. I feel great. After I attended my first meeting, I thought that I should get a sponsor as soon as possible. I made a few calls and got someone to commit to me as a sponsor. The problem for me is that I have not been given one assignment yet. I called him two days in a row, left voicemails, and did not get a response. I called him yesterday. However, he was busy and said that he would call me back. He did not.

I am ready to dive right into some recovery and do the work that it entails. I am thinking that maybe I need to find another sponsor. Feedback would be appreciated..
Old 01-03-2006, 12:07 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Deenrose welcome to SR

Since it is the holiday season, your sponser may be tied up with family stuff ect. I was like you when I first got sober, I was so eager to " get started" LOL

Why dont you ring your Sponser, and ask if he would like to go to a meeting with you ? Then you can discuss your goals with him.

It took me a while to learn that my Sponser actually had a life as well LOL . I wouldnt go changing yet, give him a bit of slack, given that it is a busy time of year

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-03-2006, 01:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Tell him how you are feeling, and see what happens.
Old 01-03-2006, 04:27 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
is Clean!, not sober

Originally Posted by deenrose
I have a sponsor who I am not too sure about right now.... I am ready to dive right into some recovery and do the work that it entails....
.. Give your sponsor a chance. With a bit of faith, a touch of patience, and a smattering of tolerance, you may find that this sponsor is THE best sponsor in the world! If not, then you can move on.
.. In my first years (whatta strange feeling it was to type that!) I went thru at least 4 sponsors. I did the same thing as when I was using and trying to find a doctor to "supply" me. I didn't like the way this one dressed, I didn't like what this one said, I hated the fact that one said I had a problem (how dare he?!), and that other sponsor said to recite 2 Serenity Prayers with 1 deep breath and call him later on in the morning >>even tho' I knew he'd just gotten off shift and woulda been in bed when I called, but I'm more important, ya know! hehe...<<.
.. Y'all can do the work anyways. Set up chairs and tables, clean up the cigarette butts outside the facility, make coffee (or hot chocolate!), lay out the literature table, greet addicts at the door, share what's goin' on with you during the meeting, say "Thanks!" to someone who shared something that you needed to hear right then...
.. Golly, there's a gadjillion things you can do! Your sponsor will still be there when you both are ready. The "extended version" of the Serenity Prayer gets me thru times like this. Yer on the right track, tho'. Keep it up!!
Old 01-03-2006, 05:24 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I don't know how well you know your sponsor but I personally believe you should always spend some time and get to know the person.

If you attend meetings regularly, get a hold of some of the literature, and talk to other members you should not be in any danger of relapse.

You could even get a copy of the Step working guides and start reading it.

However I understand you must be anxious to start working Steps but I suggest you allow your sponsor some time. He may not be moving at your speed right now but it does not necessarily mean he will not be a good sponsor for you.
Old 01-04-2006, 12:38 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Recovering Addict

It seems that i was a bit too anxious. I got a hold of my sponsor and he gave me some work to do. He gave me IP No. 9 and asked me to fill it out for the next seven days. I am glad to finally be doing some work... Thank you all for your advice.
Old 01-04-2006, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

you're on track

HUGX
Lee
Old 01-04-2006, 03:11 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Patience. Something addicts have a hard time with.