Notices

finding a sponsor?

Old 12-22-2005, 04:22 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

finding a sponsor?

I live in a very small community, the meetings here are very small and most of the members are men. I know that one of the most important things to do in recovery is get a sponsor but with my very few members to select from I have had alot of trouble finding someone and right now I'm going through a hard time and am needing someone I can talk to.....any suggestions??
Old 12-22-2005, 04:41 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

You can talk here all you want and I don't believe anywhere in our literature that it is man and man or woman and woman. It depends on our motives it says One addict helping another addict is without parallel. So if you ever need to talk I am here among countless others.

Love Vic

I am sending good thoughts your way...
Old 12-22-2005, 04:49 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

tricky.

there must be some women?
Old 12-22-2005, 09:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sponnsership is important but the most important thing is that you stay clean i dont have a sponser rite now but i do have a support group
my name is Brandi and im on my husband network i have 102 days clean
Old 12-22-2005, 10:01 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

It was suggested to me when I was having difficulty finding a sponsor in my area to go to meetings in different places, maybe you could go to some place nearby and find a woman in recovery to sponsor you? I know that if there are drugs in wyoming, there has to be recovery...

Good luck,
Blake
Old 12-22-2005, 10:12 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
REZ

You can also try an AA sponsor.
Old 12-22-2005, 10:46 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

are you ok today? i have learned that getting a phone list is helpful too cuz women understand each other.
Old 12-23-2005, 08:19 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
It is what it is!!!

It is suggested that men sponsor men and women sponsor women for more reasons than just being the opposite sex.

Not only do women sponsors helps me with the steps and the program but being woman having a woman sponsor has helped me learn about other women, learn to trust and be friends with women. for alot of us when using, we lose that trust that bond that women can and should have.

Keep looking, keep asking your HP for help and I agree, travel outside your comfort zone to other meetings.
Old 12-23-2005, 05:57 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

If you can't find someone in your area, try a long distance sponsor. Maybe an on-line sponsor. Just keep praying and God will bring you together with someone.
Old 01-03-2006, 07:20 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Hi. I live in a real small town too. I have to go to neighboring towns to attend a meeting which i dont mind. I went to my first yesterday and there was no women at all there.. which did kind of concern me since Im a woman and would like to find a female sponsor.
Old 01-03-2006, 09:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
is Clean!, not sober

Originally Posted by namommy
If you can't find someone in your area, try a long distance sponsor. Maybe an on-line sponsor. Just keep praying and God will bring you together with someone.
.. There are a few women in my area who have long distance sponsors, even tho' we are a fairly large Fellowship. They stay in contact thru the telephone, written letters (especially while working the Steps), and by email.
.. Conventions are a great way to meet other addicts, and maybe a sponsor. AA may be another route, but do understand that they are working the Steps based on that single substance, alcohol, and one disease, alcoholism. If you are able to read their literature and simply replace certain words to reflect what you are dealing with, then there you go. Recovery is where you find it.

Originally Posted by Vic
You can talk here all you want and I don't believe anywhere in our literature that it is man and man or woman and woman.
The Sponsorship Pamphlet suggests the following:
A good rule of thumb is to look for someone with similar experiences who can relate to our struggles and accomplishments. For most, finding a sponsor of the same sex makes this empathy easier and helps us feel safe in the relationship. Some feel gender need not be a deciding factor. We are free to choose our own sponsor. It is, however, strongly suggested that we avoid getting into a sponsorship relationship that may lead to sexual attraction. Such attraction can distract us from the nature of sponsorship and interfere with our ability to share honestly with each other.

.. One of my problems (character defect??) is that I am more comfortable with women than with men. I've heard it shared that many women deal with same thing, but with men. Thus, for me, it was imperative that I get myself a male sponsor.
.. But, as it says above, we're free to choose our own sponsor. Be it in the Real World (face 2 face), the Virtual World (email & the like), or via snail mail & telephone calls.
.. There ya go, dg200. Many options, choose what is comfy for you. Actually, I tend to choose what isn't comfy for me nowadays, but only 'cause it's usually something I need ta deal with anyhow. Good Luck!