Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > Drug Addiction > Narcotics Addiction-12 Step Support
Reload this Page >

long term drug use and bipolar symptoms....a Mom is wondering

Notices

long term drug use and bipolar symptoms....a Mom is wondering

Old 12-11-2005, 12:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Question long term drug use and bipolar symptoms....a Mom is wondering

Hello. First of all big hug (((((((((for all those working a recovery program and all those searching for a clean and sober life ))))))))))))))

Son is 35 now . Been an addict for 20 years and 17 years of jail/prison revolving doors.

This recent time in jail he went way way off in a manic state. Jail shrink diagnosed him as bipolar and he takes psych meds for symptoms...has been removed from the general population for his own safety and well being. Maybe his mental state is a result of meth/ other drugs he's been doing for so long?????? The jail shrink is not sure which may have occured .

Any feedback is appreciated.

Happy clean and sober holidays.

Alanon Naranon Mom aka Frankie
Old 12-12-2005, 07:18 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

(((((((((((((((((Frankie)))))))))))))

First thank you for being here and I hope that you find what you are looking for. My name is Vic and I am an addict/junkie just trying to recover. Here lately I am not sure if I will make it too much longer but I am trying to hand on. I think a lot of it is we don't know how to live life on life's terms. I can tell you that my old counselor said that if I didn't take there meds that I would not stay clean. I refuse to take them.

They diagnosed me at BiPolar and I took there meds for two weeks a few years back and I felt like a walking zombie. I threw them away, no did I stay clean, um no, but I didn't like the way that they made me feel. Of course the meth and alcohol messes up our minds. My counselor (ex now) said that it takes anywhere from 7 months to 7 years to get back to any kind of normality if in fact our brains are not so messed up. There is no guarantee so we should be accepting the fact that just maybe this is the best that it gets LOL that scares me.

Anyway I wasn't going to post but since you PMed me and I saw you thread here I thought that I would hope all is well with you and I am sending good thoughts to you and your son...

Love Vic
Old 12-12-2005, 07:38 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Living in the light

Hang on. Please call your sponsor.
Old 12-12-2005, 07:48 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

I don't know if any one can truely diagnos any better than anyone else. I know that meth will screw with your mind for a whail and bipolar symptoms are in us as we get clean, there is no shame in taking drugs that will help the mental state.
I know in jail many things play a factor, self-pity, anger, lonliness and fear. I hope your son gets help and gains a desire to change, until then, take care of you and maybe he will see from your example.

Good Luck!!

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 12-13-2005, 11:28 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
alwayzhopeful

hello

ive diagnois sith bi polar since i was 16 and if you read about bipolar we tend to self medicate ourselves and i have done just that since i was 15 i absolutley liked my choice of meds for myself alot better than i liked my shirnk choice but maybe i was wrong and should of been taking the ones he prescribed instead of the ones dr kellie prescribed i might of ended up ********** my life up so bad. JUST A THOUGHT LUCKY HANG IN THERE THEY TELL ME THINGS WILL GET BETTER I HOPE THEY DO SOON