Notices

What do you think?

Old 12-08-2005, 04:47 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

What do you think?

A little background.
At work, the techs write the prescriptions, not the doctors. We all carry our own Rx pads.

On Tues. the managers came around and said they needed to collect all of them from us, and from now on we had to go back and ask for 1 sheet IF we needed to write one that the docs request.

Shortly after, one of the techs was taken back into the office, behind closed doors with the 2 managers and the docs for about 45 min. then she just left out the back door.
Apparently, her husband relapsed. We don't know if she wrote the script for him, or if he took one out of her pocket. Either way, the only way for him to get the DEA number was from her.

Now, the attitude is, "let's just move on, and put this behind us." No punishment what-so-ever.

I'm pissed off. last year, I got written up because my kids school nurse called too many times last school year. They said it made me recieve too many personal calls.

She violates a federal law, and "Let's pretend it didn't happen"!! Bull sh*T!!

I'm pissed and there is nothing I can do about it.
I just needed to vent.
Old 12-08-2005, 04:52 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I can see why your ticked. I probably would be too but there are too many politics involved and if you say anything you might lose your job. What comes around goes around...be sure of that.
Old 12-08-2005, 07:59 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
is Clean!, not sober

.. Yup. Here's the rule book that YOU will follow (non-negotiable and irrefutable). Here's the rule book WE will follow (subject to change and/or personal interpretation w/o notice).
.. It's a bugger when ya gotta bite your tongue and just move on. Life is simply full of pot holes like that.
.. There was a time when I used to say "Sh*t Happens". Now, I say that Life Happens. Way back when, when the sh*t hit the fan, I'd go off and try to find some way to spread it over someone else, anyone else! Now, it's more like, "Uhhh, OK. Where's the toilet paper at??"
>>man, that is one wierd analogy!!<<
.. You did the best thing going. Talked about it. It won't change the injustice of it all, but it always helps to share that anger & frustration.

Want a quick, but partial, remedy for the GRRRRRs in life?
Take the phrase from "Forrest Gump" where his momma says:
STUPID is as STUPID does
and just take out the word "Stupid" and replace it with whatever person / place / thing that is stuck in your craw. It really helps me to remember Tolerance. {altho' I'm struggling with that right now. oh well... Robb is as Robb does!! hehe}
Old 12-09-2005, 01:27 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Shortly after, one of the techs was taken back into the office, behind closed doors with the 2 managers and the docs for about 45 min. then she just left out the back door.

I'm pissed off. last year, I got written up because my kids school nurse called too many times last school year. They said it made me recieve too many personal calls.

She violates a federal law, and "Let's pretend it didn't happen"!! Bull sh*T!!

I'm assuming that this means she was asked to leave. As in lost her job.

Not trying to talk you out of your justifiable anger just checking to figure out where it's pointed at.

In her case.. consider this.. she has an addict for a husband and loses her job 2 weeks before a major family holiday. My immediate reaction was .. ugh .. I remember that sunken feeling of now what?

What justice would you desire?

My biggest problem is that management seems to have blown it off. I can surely understand your anger toward them. Hope your getting it out directly and not lugging a resentment ..

Thanks for helping me see the little ways I can still drag one up to wear myself out with even after I thought i had it worked through. ( the phone call stuff .. I have a similair grudge against a place I haven't even worked for in 4 years lol)
Old 12-09-2005, 05:17 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

She DID NOT lose her job. That's one of the things that is getting to me.

I don't understand it. She is one of those people who almost everyone goes to management and complains about. She dissappears during the busiest patient hours, she spends most of her time in the kitchen drinking coffee while the rest of us are bouncing around trying to hold our bladders because we are to busy to take time to pee. She picks through the charts and puts the long exams or the tough patients back and takes the easy ones out of order.

We complain about her all the time. Yet, nothing happens. This whole Rx thing happens, and we are supposed to pretend it didn't happen and just go on with things the way they've always been.

I almost convinced that she's 'doing' someone.

GGRRRRR!!
Old 12-09-2005, 06:58 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
is Clean!, not sober

Originally Posted by namommy
I almost convinced that she's 'doing' someone.
GGRRRRR!!
.. Oooops! I see a major case of the "GRRRRR"s coming on here!
.. I don't need to tell you that direction of thought can lead to one huge chunk of resentment (uhhhh, hmm, but I just DID tell you that, now didn't I??!! silly me...).
.. If you and your coworkers are absolutely secure in your jobs AND have undeniable proof that a law has been broken, I would suggest a joint formal complaint (w/ names, signatures, & details) to your superiors.
.. If not, again, I say you are doing the right thing by sharing it with us. And hopefully, with other addicts in RealityWorld. You could also try turning it over to whatever HP your heart follows, but that may take time. Especially with a major GGRRRRR. And a "double G" GRRRRR, at that!

.. Hey. I'm proud of ya for opening up and not letting this thing ferment inside. Bravo!
Old 12-09-2005, 03:07 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks.

It's just very frustrating when you have different sets of rules for different people. One set for you and one set for her, etc. It seems like they have a lot of favorites around this place.

I will say this. I have worked in this field for over 20 years (except for a few when my addiction was really bad) and this is the best office I've ever worked in. But, just like everywhere else, you have to take the bad with the good.

I just wish I didn't have to swallow this one.
Old 12-09-2005, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
REZ

Try praying for the person that you have a problem with. You may not like doing it, but it works.
Old 12-09-2005, 04:08 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My mommy told me this...
"Life isn't fair" She is a very wise woman.
I also had a drug treatment counselor who used to say "Three little words: GET OVER IT!"
Both of these things help me to find acceptance over things which I do not wish to accept...
You see accepting something doesn't mean that you have to like it or agree with it at all...it just means that you've gotta find some way to come to terms with it.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I was also taught that we don't have to accept the un-acceptable. We just have to make a decision whether we are willing to live with it or not. If not, then what are we going to do about it.

In this case, I just have to live with it.
Old 12-10-2005, 09:40 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

Apparently, her husband relapsed. We don't know if she wrote the script for him, or if he took one out of her pocket. Either way, the only way for him to get the DEA number was from her.

Now, the attitude is, "let's just move on, and put this behind us." No punishment what-so-ever.
I sooooooooo understand venting and workplace BS.... BUT, all the venting in the world didn't help me as much as a sponsor long ago who got real firm and asked me "how the hell do you know that? who told you that?" (in smart-a**ed tone:"well aren't you something that you can look in that crystal ball to know who did what and why." Not her exact words, of course, but pretty darn close. She did it enough times that it sunk in and helped me see that I react on my assumptions and my assumptions are often unspiritual. It's helped me develop some humility, which she flat out told me I needed . Now I do the same thing with my own sponsees, although my people-pleasing thing still prevents me from being as stern as my sponsor was. She also used to tell me it's none of my business what other people do. I agree to a point, but MAN that used to tick me off!

So, at the risk of gettin' on ya bad side , do you know with certainty why the Rx pads were taken up or is it just a rumor that her hubby relapsed? How do you know she did anything wrong? How do you know she wasn't punished or won't be soon? Sometimes terminations are delayed to be sure they are done by the book or for other reasons. Could it be that she is actually the one who turned him in??? Could it be that she had no idea and is now in excruciating pain because her hubby has thrown her family into the horrors of addiction once again. Could she be innocent, yet terrified of losing her job and embarrassed that all her coworkers know??? If she had done this on purpose, she would probably know the severity of the consequences of getting caught, so why would she do it voluntarily? He might have blackmailed her or threatened to beat the hell out of her if she didn't do it. We want people to assume the best in US, to not pass judgement without all the information...shouldn't we give them the same respect? There's a ton of spiritual principles you can apply to deal with this (I"m thinking honesty, open-mindedness, tolerance, compassion, humility, surrender). You may be way ahead of me. I just wanted to offer another perspective. Maybe someone will get something out of it.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:23 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

That's part of what is pissing me off. We do Know.

She has talked to me about her husband's relapse (she knows I am in recovery). We know that she was involved with the Rx. pads, management told my supervisor. and, Management told my supervisor to let us all know that this is to be forgotten. There will be no further action on this matter.

It gets me the fact that there are seperate rules for each person. There should be one set of rules across the board with the same consequences across the board. Then, we would all know where we stand.

But no fear of getting on my bad side. I am a very matter-of-fact, blunt, individual. At least you have the people pleasing thing to help you curb yours, I haven't figured that one out yet. I just open my mouth and sh*t comes out. lol.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:53 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

It gets me the fact that there are seperate rules for each person. There should be one set of rules across the board with the same consequences across the board. Then, we would all know where we stand.
Is that whats pissing you off?

my bud's ex girlfriend ( not in the program ) would ask me "where's your faith?"

If you know where you stand, you might just limit yourself with expectations of where you could get to.

I think this may boil down to my old "life isn't fair" complaint.

Good thing life isn't fair or I probably wouldn't have net acess from my cell or padded room.
Old 12-11-2005, 02:14 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yeah, I hear that one!
Old 12-11-2005, 04:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Certified NA Counselor

Wow, I've never heard of a place where anyone other than an MD or limited Ph.Ds/Psy.Ds could write presecriptions. I'm not even sure of the legalities? It sounds like a pretty risky business to me.

As for the rest of the drama, I am reminded of the 4th Step Prayer in the AA Big Book p. 67, top of the page. This sounds, as the da Gooch already said, like a person that I would surely not want to trade places with - special treatment or not - it sounds like a miserable place to be. Pity, patience and tolerance might be in order.

andyaddict
Los Angeles
Old 12-11-2005, 09:15 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

Namommy,
Sometimes God has plans that are just too brilliant for us to understand. I usually want justice when others are wrong, but mercy when it's my own bad behavior. I'm grateful I didn't get all I deserved. If I had, my son wouldn't be sleeping soundly in the next room and he would probably still have those "dead eyes" I remember from not many years ago. I often choose to wallow for awhile in situations like the one you described, but the program has taught me I can't afford to stay in that. When i get sick and tired of being in a tizzy, I get into action and apply those darn spiritual principles. Come on girl! I'm cheering for ya!
Old 12-13-2005, 03:15 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

God has a really good sense of humor. I got a message on my cell phone today, I got asked to speak on the 12th tradition. Imagine that.