Notices

Question regarding a website

Old 12-07-2005, 11:19 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question regarding a website

Can a website stream NA speakers on it? What if I own the speaker CD's? Is it the convention's rights or the speakers rights or the person who bought the speaker cd's? I made a website and I was wondering if I can stream speaker cd's on it>?
Old 12-07-2005, 11:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Great question! Anyone? Anyone?

I'm SOOO enjoying the speaker CDs! Love ya Moonman!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:35 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yay!! Glad you like them!!
Old 12-07-2005, 11:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

I'll update this if I'm wrong when my contact get's back to me. But if I remember correctly in order to stream copyrighted material on a web site you need permission from the copyright owner. Usually the company that produced the cd's.

...edited to add, if the speaker the owns the cd's then you need to get his permission in writing even if not copyrighted.
Old 12-07-2005, 07:30 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
is Clean!, not sober

.. Also remember, that if material IS under copyright, it MUST state so. Otherwise, it is open season. I know of 2 sites on the web that has speaker "tapes" for listening. One does actual streaming. Me, because of the bandwidth required to stream, simply download the mp3 to listen and enjoy (and learn from!) at my leisure.

http://listen.to/recovery
http://www.naspeakers.com/
Old 12-08-2005, 05:06 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Rob- would it be possible to link your website and speaker mp3's to our area website?
Old 12-08-2005, 11:01 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
is Clean!, not sober

Hey Moontime! Let's take this one to email, please. I've got a whole buncha ??? to ask and get clarificashunalisms on about your request. Methinks that email might be a better way to do it.
Email me here. TNX!!!
Old 12-26-2005, 10:36 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Don't forget the addict who spoke didn't agree to have his/her voice streamed across the internet.
What about the anonymity of the addict who spoke??
Old 12-26-2005, 11:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
is Clean!, not sober

.. Both of the website links that I posted have all their speakers approve the "streaming" of their respective messages of recovery over the internet.
.. Granted, it would be prudent to request AND receive permission from addicts who are on tape/CD to have their stories put out to the public. Understand, tho', that most conventions tape their speakers to be sold at that particular convention and elsewhere. These tapes are available to the general public, as most conventions are open. But of course, the general public takes on a whole new personna when dealing with the WWW.
.. So, it can be a sticky wicket in this case. Be safe and err on the side of caution. Get permission before streaming, as difficult as that can be. And always check the CD for the copyright insignia. I've never seen one before, but in this age of mass sueing for mega-$$$... ya never know!