Notices

What else can go wrong now!!! ...

Old 12-05-2005, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
DES

Question What else can go wrong now!!! ...

Looks like a nice busy helpfull forum here! I've got my own problems, quit drinking after 30 yrs., 2 1/2 weeks ago but first things first. I looked at some of the options on the web today and made some local calls, I'm totally overwhelmed, read below.

I have an adult daughter, 22yo, that is on her own in another town who we've been helping get through nursing school. She moved out to be on her own when she was 18yo. Yesterday afternoon she called and said she was on her way in to town to see us and needed to talk.

Long story short. She told me is on heroin. She told me that she has been in detox several times for that and other drugs and has also been in Narcotics Anonymous. She can't get off the stuff for good. As of last night she hadn't used for 3 days. She wants to get clean and she knows she can't do it on her own and wants help.

Her feelings are that she needs to go into a long term treatment program, 30 plus days. She has checked into some programs on the web and some of the prices are extremely high. Two she metioned were in CA. and Canada. I'd like to find something closer, central US, St. Louis, Chicago, Indy??? There is no insurance involved so cost is a factor. We also want one that doesn't use prescription drugs in the therapy. Her mom died of complications from prescription drugs. She was working two or three doctors at a timeto get her drugs and after years of that it finally caught up with her.

What I'm looking for is personal experience, referrals, anything!!! She gave me some links but I havn't checked them out yet. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Doug
Old 12-05-2005, 12:48 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
REZ

Doug,
I can offer no help for your daughter, except prayer. For you, I advise you to go to AA meetings, if you have a problem with alcohol.
Old 12-05-2005, 12:53 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by DES
I'd like to find something closer, central US, St. Louis, Chicago, Indy??? There is no insurance involved so cost is a factor.

What I'm looking for is personal experience, referrals, anything!!! She gave me some links but I haven't checked them out yet. Does anyone have any suggestions???

Doug
First DES I would like to welcome you here to SR and we are glad that you have found us. I have no experience as far as the treatment centers but I will share my experience with you. I am a recovering Junkie and it doesn't really matter what my choice of drugs are because a drug is a drug is a drug. I came from a 3,000 dollar a week addiction to nothing. I have never been to an inpatient treatment center, no institutions, my recovery came from AA and NA and this site SR.

I know that if I can do this anyone can, I lost everything in my life, but this last time I lost something that was very unusual, I lost my sole. That is great that she has 3 days, all we have is today. I will have 9 months here soon (cross my fingers) but it is not easy but it is doable. I hope that you will find the answers that you are looking for.

I hear of these OXFORD houses here where I live in Columbia Missouri I have never been in one of them either but they are available to anyone I guess but the rule is if you use you are out. I don't know of anything else but if I can be of any service to you please email me I also have ***** and msn messenger I will help if I can..I will send some good thoughts your way..

Love Vic
Old 12-05-2005, 01:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Chy

Welcome DES,
You can try the local Salvation Army. It's practically free and pay if you can afford to pay. It's one of the best available from what I've researched.
Old 12-05-2005, 09:44 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

Hi Doug, and welcome to SR. Look at the upper left corner of your screen, click on "resources", then click "primary treatment". You'll find many facilities listed there. I haven't checked out that list, but many you find on the internet are "for profit", so much more expensive, although they come with many nonessential ammenities. As another alternative, check with local mental health centers and hospitals in your region. Many community mental health centers operate residential treatment facilities for addiction recovery. There are also lots of treatment centers funded, in part, by the state. These alternatives are usually much lower cost, but provide excellent care. Also look in your yellow pages under "alcoholism" or "drug addiction". Also, click on the link below. There are numerous Illinois facilities listed at the bottom half.
http://www.drug-rehabs.org/bystate.php?state=Illinois
Old 12-06-2005, 07:33 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Maybe you can attend NA with your daughter and find the help both of you need. The Salvation Army, the Rescue Mission, At 22years old, if your daughter doesn't have a job she can apply for assistance to get medical help from Public Assistance.

Good Luck to the both of you.

Peace,
Todd J.