Notices

thank you

Old 12-03-2005, 09:11 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
lesa

thank you

My husband is going to A/A and trying to see about an N/A meeting...I went to an AAmeeting with him and someone said he went to N/Aand they were so Neg..Is this true..???I tell my hubby Iam proud of him from time to time..He smiles and says thnk you ..I just can not seem to get past the past with him .the lies and stealing and ect..I throw in his face alot about alot.i bought him a coat and watch and boots to buy agian on his last time out..I hope he does this time ..pray for his please and myself
Old 12-03-2005, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi lesa,
I attend AA but have been went to some NA meetings when I first got sober. I personally feel like I belong in AA, but NA is just as wonderful a program as AA. That person that said NA is negative - that is their opinion. I was told in rehab to grow where I'm planted. For me, that is AA, but someone else, that may be NA. I know a lot of people that attend both fellowship also. Totally a personal choice.
Old 12-03-2005, 09:08 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Obsessed Pug Momma

I've attended probably a dozen AA groups and several dozen NA groups. If you go to different AA groups in different communities, you'll find some large, some small, some friendlier, some not, etc. Each group is different and within each group, the atmosphere can be different on any given night (just like churches, restaurants and other organizations). It's exactly the same in NA. I've lived in a town where AA was very strong, yet NA was weak. The last town I lived in, NA was strong and the local AA group was imo, terrible (they let one man run the whole thing,he kept the money and spent it as he saw fit). The town I live in now has both strong AA and NA. I love my home group, yet as with any other group, sometimes the meeting has a negative tone. However, the spiritual principles I learned there taught me to find the good. Sometimes I can listen to the negativity and be grateful that I'm not like that anymore. It also lets me know what my attitude will be like if I stop practicing the principles of this program. Most of the time I hear a strong message of recovery wherever I attend NA. People don't always have pure motives for making negative comments about other groups and fellowships. I see no spiritual principles being applied when someone tries to put a black eye on a 12-step fellowship that saves lives. Someone making that comment might convince a newcomer to not go (to whatever fellowship was being bashed) and that newcomer might DIE. My suggestion is try out the NA group at least 5 times before you decide to stay or go. First impressions aren't everything. Thanks for coming here and asking, instead of forming a judgement based on one person's slanderous remark.
Old 12-04-2005, 06:22 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Now, I only go to NA. I feel comfortable there.

When I first got clean, I attended whatever 12 step meetings were available at the time I was available. In the area where I live, I don't like the AA meetings, but that's my choice and opinion of them. I've been to AA meetings in other states and cities, and they were fine, I liked them.

It's just a matter of perspective. It's should be a matter of what feels comfortable to your husband, where does he feel he fits, and feels safe. This shouldn't be for anyone else to determine but him.
Old 12-04-2005, 08:29 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Where to go...

Lesa,

Where one may go to meetings, to me, depends on where someone is likely to get the most help.

I live in a town where there are 450 AA meetings and 23 NA meetings, yet I attend NA exclusively. Why? Because that's where I identify the most and it's where I get the most help in my recovery. To put it simply, it feels like home. It's also a matter of recovery philosophy for me.

From the moment I read the Basic Text of Narcotics Anonymous, I deeply identified with what it said, which made it much easier to accept what it teaches. I didn't get that from the "Big Book" of Alcoholics Anonymous. The same is true for me in regard to the meetings. I simply identify better with NA members than AA members. This is not to say that the Big Book is inferior to the Basic Text, or NA members are superior to AA members; it just means that one speaks more clearly and definitively to me than the other. Identification and acceptance of a given program and philosophy is important if one is to stay clean.

I find that if people keep an open mind and do their best to stay in the solution, they will find their way and end up in a place that best suits their needs.

JeffK