Notices

New doctors

Old 11-22-2005, 04:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

New doctors

Well, I have now seen both of my new psych doctors - my new psychiatrist and a new therapist. Hmmm. I've got a lot of mixed feelings about all this. The pschiatry apt. went alright - she perscribed me 2 new meds. I started one today - named cymbalta and the other I think I'm going to talk to her about - its called Depakot. I just don't feel comfortable taking it because of the warnings. There must be some other options - she said there were.

So I'm gonna wait and see how this cymbalta does me. I hope it will help. The therapy apt tonight... I don't know. Usually when I start up therapy I'll give them a few chances - you know so we can get to know eachother, and maybe my opinion will change. Well I didn't realize what a pain in the butt getting my insurance fixed up for all that stuff was, and I just don't think she's quite what I'm looking for. Has anyone here tryed group therapy? And if so can you tell me a little about it?

Well just wanted to share my experiances
thanks

bluberry
Old 11-22-2005, 06:27 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi (((Bluberry)))

Thanks for sharing that with us...

My daughter was on Depakote for a while, it didn't seem to help her much, although I hear it does wonders on some people. She is now taking Lithium and her mood disorder is well under control and she is stable. If you have doubts or are not sure about a med, go with what you feel and talk to your DR about possibly changing.

I went to a presentation on Cymbalta a few weeks ago. It is touted as very promising and there were testimonies stating so from patients who have been on it for a while. It does help with pain associated with depression, also. You might want to go to the Mental Health forum and read a thread there titled "Cymbalta". It has a lot of info that you may find interesting.

I tried group therapy for a short time. I didn't stay in long, but I certainly would be willing to go again if needed.

The therapist I have is...well...I don't know yet. I am giving him a fair chance and I do have a rapport with him, but...something is just not sitting right. For one thing, when I am talking to him, he occasionally yawns. That pisses me off, and I told him so. I still think the same as you, I don't think he is quite what I am looking for.

Good luck with the meds and ask your Dr about changing Depakote if you feel wary about it. Good Luck with the therapist thing, too...and if you try group therapy, please let us know how it goes...

Last edited by Wolfstarr; 11-29-2005 at 01:56 PM.
Old 11-22-2005, 09:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Blueberry, I have been going to group therapy at the VA Hospital for almost 3 years. It is an aftercare group having gone through an alcohol program. I've really been helped and both enjoy and look forward to my weekly meetings. We deal with our PTSD and a host of other issues. Of course this is helped the close feeling Veterans share with each other. There is an added plus of meeting new people. There are people at different places in recovery. This helps me see the progress I've made. And of course listening to others helps me get outside myself.
Old 11-25-2005, 11:08 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
A picture's worth a 1000 words

Bluberry, I don't know your story, but i'm assuming that you are bipolar and depressed (by the type of meds you have been prescribed, but tell me if i'm wrong).

I'm been on both Cymbalta and Depakote. Both have pros and cons.

Anti-Depressants:
I took Effexor (which is almost identical to Cymbalta for about 2 years and it really helped me, but i needed more so doc switched me to Cymbalta.). With both the Effexor and Cymbalta, there is a side-effect that can bother some, but if you take your dose every day about the same time then you should be fine. For this same reason, it can be a little frustrating to come off from although not everyone experiences these side-affects i'm talking about. There are several threads about both Effexor and Cymbalta in the Mental Health forum...i will try and fetch them for you in just a minute. I'm on Welbutrin now. There are a ton of different anti-depressants out there so next time ask your doc to go over the pros and cons with you on several of them. There are also different catagories of anti-d's - meaning that some work on different kinds of things in the brain. Like some affect dopamine levels while others affect norepenephrin and stuff like that (but I dont' know much about all that).

Mood Stablizers:

Depakote...well personally it just didn't do much for me except I had a little hair loss while on it, weight gain and I hated having to get my blood levels checked all the time.

I tried Lithium, and a lot of peeps have had VERY good results with it, I think I'm allergic to it or something so I stopped.

I was on Lamictal for the longest out of them all (about 6-8 months). And it was explained to me that the Lamictal works more for the depression side of the mood swings than the manic side - which was ideal for me since my manics don't bother me and my depression often has me bedridden. I stayed pretty even on the Lamictal with not any side affects that I can remember, but my depression was still bad.

Someone was telling me about Topamax last week, which is what I plan to ask my doc for next week b/c it can help with pain and helps curb appetite ( and i'm pretty over weight and have been gaining more lately)

Those are the only mood stabalizers I can think of at this moment.

Individual Therapy

I highly recommend it. Give this new therapist a few weeks and see how comfortable you feel. Then if you don't feel like you are clicking then get a different one. Best thing is to get a referral from someone else or your local mental hospital or treatment center. I found the best one ever when I was in a group treatment program (a daily and very expensive thing) where 2 girls were talking about how great their therapist was and the group therapist agreed how great she was. I signed up to see her the very next week and I couldn't have been more pleased. She's awsome. I dont' have insurance now so I can't see her (and I don't have the gas to drive there or the energy), but she still checks on me by phone or a letter in the mail to see how i'm doing AND let me join in for free to an abused women's group she put together AND she has told me that she will let me make appointments with her for only $20 a session (and i was paying a $30 co-pay when I had insurance!!!)

I think that's the most important thing with any therapy is finding someone you trust, respect and are comfortable with. Also....ask the therapist to share their story with you and you might be surprized how much of the same things they have been through and over come.

Group Therapy

I highly recommend it, almost more than individual therapy! Why....well I've read up on statistical data of how beneficial it is for depression and such AND I've experience the benefits myself first hand. But it's not something that is gunna happen over-night. When I was in that private treatment center we were in group therapy for 3/4ths of the day and I really questioned it for the longest time b/c not everyone in my group was even dealing with depression or mental illness - some were alcoholics and pot addicts. BUT after 2-3 months the first time (of going every day), my severe depression had lifted so much that I was able to go back to work and was fine (even under severe stress) for several months. I retured to treatment for another month and found it just as beneficial. I have also attended a couple of NAMI's bipolar group sessions and enjoyed them a lot. I would be going to them several times a week if possible, but they are held about 50 miles from me. Great thing about NAMI's depression and bipolar support groups is they are FREE!!! I owe about $5,000 for all those months in that private treatment program! So that alone should tell you how much stock other people put on group treatment too if they can charge that much (after insurance paid 70 % of the cost too, I might add!!!)

ONE MORE THING:

In my research, I've read where it has been proven that participating in both individual therapy AND group therapy is the most benefical and successful in treating depression.

And almost anything you read about having bipolar disorder it will tell you that life-time therapy is necessary for coping with this illness successfully.

Just my 4-cents....take it or leave it....

Hugs,
Jenna
Old 11-26-2005, 12:11 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Here's a 4-page thread about Cymbalta withdrawal
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...wal-64866.html

A much shorter thread about Cymbalta
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...lta-76155.html

That's all I can find for now.....hope it helps...
Old 11-26-2005, 01:07 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

I was on lithium for several years. I had severe mood swings. When I moved out from living with my BPD mother, my mood swings lifted never to return so I stopped taking it. I was 18 then and it was almost 20 years ago.

It made me throw up like no tomorrow. I went to the time release and drank two glasses of water along with a light meal. Then I was fine after about a week. I tried Depokote with no results. I also tried Tegratol but it made me jaundice.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:37 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I wish you all the luck with the new docs - ive been thru so many of all three, i cant even remember the names. The shrink i have now, i feel comfortable with, thats a first for me. He explains things to me, to me thats important, because i know im weird, everybody around me tells me that, and i feel it. As for the meds, well haven't seem to find the right ones yet. i never tried group therapy ( and i dont think i'll ever be ready for it) but i've heard good things about it. i like that your willing to give anything a try. I wish i wasn't so scared to do that. As i said in the beginning I wish you luck. Lots.

I like the the Bluberry thingy - cute
Old 11-28-2005, 10:03 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Hi everybody. Thanks to every one for all the support and being interested in my experiances. Yeah - I never got the depakot filled, so I never took it. I'm a diabetic so I have to be very careful about the things I take - she said that it shouldn't effect my diabetes - but everyone is differant and I'v had diabetic side efftects before with meds they said wouldn't do that so I'm going to use my better judgement. Oh and I plan on contacting her ASAP about that.

Oh yeah - I have been to countless psych doctors - both therapists and psyciatrists. I've deffinately had much experiance with them - but not with group therapy. I might look into that - but I know that I am going to find a differant therapist because I know that she's not what I'm looking for. No offense to her, but she's A LOT older than me and I think if I saw someone closer to my age it would help more (I'm 19). My psychiatrist is (I think) in her 30's and I can open up to her pretty well. And with the yamning - I ahte that! This new lady that I just saw (the one that I don't think is right for me) kept nodding and saying "uh huh" before I'd even finish my main point, unless it was something she was looking for - like one of the questions that were part of her assessment of me. It almost seemed like she has seen so many patients that she doesn't listen - like a timed response or something? I don't want to see someone who doesn't really have their heart in their job.

The cymbalta is doing me great! I've had a few years of hyperglycemia (high bloodsugars) and now, all my sugars all straightening out, its just amazing. And I feel relieved - I've been so worried about ending up like my dad - kidney failure at the age of 33. Now I feel like there's hope.
I was real reluctant to go on anti-depressants in the first place because I've been on so many and they've either made things worse or didn't do anything. I've been on prozac, celexa, effexor, zoloft, paxil, welbutrin and a couple others. But the cymbalta is really helping me. I'm not getting flashbacks however, which really bothers me because if I don't get flashbacks, I can't remember them and "accept" them, this whole process that I've learned that's part of my coping. But, I'm not getting these other types of flashbacks that send me into these violent outbursts. No violent outbursts! Its really nice. I might be able to work around getting the other kind - the flashbacks that I feel I need to work with. I think it will just take practice.

Well thanks everyone for showing support - I really appreciate it. You know, since I've started coming to this board I haven't felt alone in the world. All my life I just had this feeling of being alone in the world - even with my loved ones around me and trying their best to help me. I just felt isolated, like there was this veil that kept me from being apart of the human race But since I've been coming here I haven't had that feeling. Thanks everyone!
Old 11-29-2005, 01:55 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Bluberry,

good to hear from you. It's a good idea about the counselor...if you don't feel comfortable then move on. I think I am going to but it makes me sick to think of starting over again with a new one. The one I have now made a crude comment and it
left me with a rotten feeling. I see him on Thurs and will be sure to tell him his choice of words leave much to be desired.
Glad the cymbalta is working good for you!
Keep us informed and let us know how it goes with a new counselor if you decide to change, or keep the current one.
Best to you, and thanks to you for sharing with us,
Old 11-29-2005, 11:05 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Blu - I'm glad the Cymbalta's working for you. Keep us updated on your progress.

I've never heard anyone say they WANT to have flashbacks and are feeling out of sorts for not having them. I don't understand that part of your post could you explain?

I agree about the change in counselors....find one that makes you really feel good and connected and healthier each time. they are out there. I promise. And docs are use to patients switching around all the time. They don't take it personally.

Wolf....I know what you mean about the thought of switching therapists again. I was having terrible trouble with my current one until my old one asked if I would like her to transfer (fax) my file to the new one. I said yes and the next session was 100 percent better....like night and day. It was like she was able to understand me much better without me having to re-hash everything. Also, some people type up their basic "story" and ask the new therapist to read it before the first or second session to get to know you and your background better without you having to start from scratch everytime.

Blu - I know what you mean about not feeling alone anymore. It's wonderful isn't it! My 16-year-old cousin (and my sister too) think i'm daft b/c I spend so much time on this computer, but I feel more at home with you guys than I've ever felt in my 29 years. People here are the "true" kind of friends. We love and support each other and we never ask each other to babysit, borrow money or mow the yard....LOL!!! We love each other for who we really are. And it's a great feeling to have people love you unconditionally for who you are inside. (And to be here 24-7).
Old 12-04-2005, 09:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Here is my latest update with meds and such:

The cymbalta is still working great for me. Well, now it is. For about a week there I was having increasing anxiety (they were almost worse than the panic attacks) and I called my psychiatrist on Monday to talk to her about how I decided not to take the Depakot, to tell her about the increased anxiety and panic attacks and I've had even worse sleeping problems. Also, I've been real mouthy lately - like I'm on effexor. So, she was cool with my decision about the depakot, asked me a series of questions and talked to me for a little while. She then explained that the reason why she perscribed me depakot was because it's a mood stabalizer and that I needed that balance - the cymbalta to help with the depression, bi-polar and PTSD and the depakot to help with the irratability (I have an anger management problem and I have some violent flashbacks. also depakot was supposed to take care of the "mouthy" side effect) So, she went through a couple of options to replace the depakot, and she put me on Gabapentin, but she called it Neurotin over the phone. She said that that will help me sleep and will take care of the anxiety and mouthiness/moodswings. So I started that up and I feel as though I'm at a real stable point. And for the first time in a long long long time - I sleep!

Shutterbug - oh I'm trying to figure the whole flashback thing out still. And it is making it more confusing because I'm on medication now. But explaining it the best I can looking back about 3 weeks ago;
I generally have 3 basic types of flashbacks
*I'll have flashbacks from being touched as a child. Years ago I used to get VERY ill from these - psychosymatic... and it didn't help my other mental problems at the time either. Well, I'd try to ignore them, try to block them out. During this time I got these types of nightmares that I only get at certain times - when I'm ignoring those flashbacks or some of my other ones. I started seeing a therapist and she taught me a technique that got me into the habit of when ever I get a flashback (from being sexually abused), instead of just dismissing it, try to remember it the best I can. I learned to accept what happened to me - and become stronger from it. And understand. It got rid of a lot of the guilt too, and made me feel tons less ashamed. I also got to know myself better, respect myself better... there were tons of improvements. Those types of nightmares stopped. See, I've always had nightmares, ever since I can remember. But those - those are differant, and they only come from suppression.
*And then I got these types of flashbacks where I'd go into some sort of trance - caught in a flashback, more than just off in my own little world. Then a wierd type of depressive feeling would follow, and then this feeling of severe frustration and sometimes confusion. But most of all, I'd experiance anger. I'd become violent. (and I'm very embarrassed about that too) I wouldn't know why I was acting and feeling the way I was, and I wouldn't snap out of it until after the whole episode would be over. It was like I was someone else.
*And lastly, I get these types of flashbacks where I smell something, or hear something (certain music or a voice tone), or the season does it - but I drift off into these calm flashbacks. I'd remember all types of things - good and bad. I practice with these because in a small way they are a bit enjoyable. And I'm thank ful for the memories I have. I don't remember my dad (he passed when I was 2 1/2) and I think I've learned to appreciate memories and cherish them, no matter how good or bad, because I'm thankful for life.
Thanks everyone for reading another one of my long messages - I also hope that maybe it might reach someone out there that this technique might help. It may seem unusual, but everyone's differant.
Anyone having any news to share of their own I'd be delighted to read!
Peace
bluberry
Old 12-05-2005, 06:00 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

bluberry.....write long messages as long as you want! Writing about these kinds of things are SUPER beneficial and like you said...often other peeps get things out of them that help them too. So write your little heart out.

I would suggest not worrying too much about not having flashbacks like you use to....maybe you have reached a point in your healing where you don't need to have them or experience them any more. Look at it as a good thing. You've done the work...now it's time to relax. And I don't think there's anything to be ashamed or embarrassed about from the anger. Anger is a natural feeling and feelings are valid. I think too many people suppress their anger in unhealthy ways that end up hurting them in the long run. Better to get it all out than to let it build into something really bad.

Mouthiness/moodiness....i know what you mean. Since I've been off a mood stabalizer and a second anti-d, I've been really irritable. Like when my mom starts talking about something that makes sense to only her and I have to ask her what she's talking about. It drives me crazy. Or when she asks me stupid questions...or when she doesn't respond quick enough to something I'm asking or explaining to her. My patience is on a short fuse these days. Cranky is the best way to describe it prolly. And I'm so tired of hearing her bitch about my sister wanting her to do things. I keep telling her to say no, but she won't and then I have to hear about it all the time. Geez, I want to scream sometimes.
Old 12-05-2005, 06:00 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Oh....and it sounds like you've got a good doc - one that will listen to you (that's a rare find in my experience).

Glad the meds are working for you.