Notices

Just For Today: November 14 - Not just surviving

Old 11-14-2005, 04:02 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Just For Today: November 14 - Not just surviving

November 14
Not just surviving

"When we were using, our lives became an exercise in survival. Now we are doing much more living than surviving."

Basic Text p. 50

"I'd be better off dead!" A familiar refrain to a practicing addict, and with good reason. All we had to look forward to was more of the same miserable existence. Our hold on life was weak at best. Our emotional decay, our spiritual demise, and the crushing awareness that nothing would ever change were constants. We had little hope and no concept of the life we were missing out on.

The resurrection of our emotions, our spirits, and our physical health takes time. The more experience we gain in living, rather than merely existing, the more we understand how precious and delightful life can be. Traveling, playing with a small child, making love, expanding our intellectual horizons, and forming relationships are among the endless activities that say, "I'm alive:' We discover so much to cherish and feel grateful to have a second chance.

If we had died in active addiction, we would have been bitterly deprived of so many of life's joys. Each day we thank a Power greater than ourselves for another day clean and another day of life.

Just for today: I am grateful to be alive. I will do something today to celebrate.

pg. 332

Just For Today Daily Meditation is the property of Narcotics Anonymous©
Old 11-14-2005, 04:33 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

November 14

The resurrection of our emotions, our spirits, and our physical health takes time. The more experience we gain in living, rather than merely existing, the more we understand how precious and delightful life can be.

Addiction consumed my life for 25 years...
Learning how to live sober is a process that also takes time.
As an addict I'm programmed to "want what I want when I want it" and that usually means yesterday...
I have a plaque which hangs on my wall which reads:
"Don't expect too much, too fast, too soon"
I still need to be reminded of that daily.