Notices

Question about NA?

Old 10-18-2005, 08:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Question about NA?

The treatment center I went to and am connected partially with now only allows clients to go to AA. I have been sober for a while now and even though opiates were my drug of choice- i have never darkened the doors of an NA meeting. Every time I ask one of the LCDC about NA they say you will be lucky to find anyone in NA with a year or more of good sobriety? Im not knocking NA by any means but they seem to plant that seed daily when I ask about it. I friend of mine in our home group said they turn the lights out and do weird stuff??? Every time I want to try an NA meeting im always told something negative about it. No track record/not proven like AA/ weird excuses?? I really want to expeirence an NA meeting but dont want to lose focus on my recovery from whats already been working for me. Please do not take offense to this but I wanted to hear from someone who is not biased towards either program. Thanks to all for there advice-god bless-W.J.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:05 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

NA was started by Jimmy K. in the 50's based on the AA steps and traditions. So anyone who has bias towards it should look toward the history of their own program and see how mal-informed they are.
I will agree in certain areas I have been in, the ratio of clean time is lower.
But I have also seen where AA can or will not help people addicted to narcotics. For one, a lot of them just don't understand it.
I have also heard at most of the meetings that they feel extremely comfortable at NA because people understand them, AND are in their age bracket.

You also have to understand, the grip of some of the drugs out there. It can take a long time to fully physically recover off some of the drugs that are out there nowadays. The amount of dopamine that is released during a hit of crack or meth, is 1000x stronger than alcohol, which makes it chemically more addicting. To try and get off, and stay off drugs such as these is extremely hard.

Also, AA is generally made up of older gentlemen, which is great. I feel alcohol just takes a LOT longer to go downhill on, comparatively.
Give someone some Herion/Crack/Meth or any other drug out there, and watch how long it takes for someone to spin out of control. A LOT sooner. So the demographics is going to change to a younger crowd, UNLESS you start doing it a LOT later in life.

I could write a book on the differences and why it is the way it is.
The bottom line is that NA is based on the AA program, has been around a # of years, now circling the globe with meetings around the world (I have been to meetings in Tokyo, and Indonesia) with too many people to count with YEARS clean. I have about 20 buddies in the program from different parts of the US with 22-37 years clean. I have been to campouts/meetings/regional events where the clean time count off went up to 58 years.

There is a history of NA book called Miracles Happen out there, with spells it all out.

You ALSO have to remember, in 1976 it was still ILLEGAL for 2 addicts to hang out together. The first NA meeting was watched by law enforcement, and people haggled for being there.

Granted, the first official Basic Text was published in 1982 (Which I am the proud owner of) which doesn't make it seem like a long time. AA didn't start over night, but in time has proven itself. As has NA in my opinion.
You are dealing with 2 very different beasts out there. So the demographics are going to change with the demographics of the user, and the time it takes to fully spin out of control, in my humble opinion.

As to the meeting you spoke of, it sounds like a candlelight meeting. And when I first went to my first meeting I thought everyone was different, because I had no idea what they were talking about or doing.

The best thing I can recommend is going to a meeting and see for yourself. If you like it or not, I would still try a different meeting to see what another one is like, and if you like it better. No meeting is ever the same on any given day, nor in the same area. They are all run differently (with the same goal in mind) by different people, with yet different attendees going.
I have been to some really good ones and bad ones. I have yet to find one I haven't learned something at, if I keep an openmind.

As far as treatment centers go, I would just have to say they probably don't have an ASC meeting with them, with a meeting list in hand, a history of their local NA meeting, how long it has been running, how long the Area has been established as well as the local Region, not to mention the WSO.

Furthermore, I have met a TON of addicts in AA that just happen to get clean there, because it was the only program around at the time that was SOCIALLY acceptable.
Addicts have been around for centuries. Alcoholism is just more socially acceptable.
Cocaine/Herion/Laudanum were over the counter in the 1800's. Freud was addicted to it to see its effects.

Where are you from?

Sincerely,

Chad H.
PI - H&I Chair
Lewis & Clark ASC

We Do Recover

When at the end of the road we find that we can no longer function as a human being, either with or without drugs, we all face the same dilemma. What is there left to do? There seems to be this alternative: either go on as best we can to the bitter ends—jails, institutions or death—or find a new way to live. In years gone by, very few addicts ever had this last choice. Those who are addicted today are more fortunate. For the first time in man’s entire history, a simple way has been proving itself in the lives of many addicts. It is available to us all. This is a simple spiritual—not religious—program, known as Narcotics Anonymous.
Old 10-18-2005, 09:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
I'm an addict.

Hey man,

I have been a member of both fellowships before and currently I am in NA. you can tell the people that are talking **** about us that if they want to see some long term recovery, they are welcome to come visit my home group where people with many many years are represented. In my home group we have people with 27 years, 22 years, 18 years, 2 with 16 years, 13 years, 7 years, and quite a few people with 5 years or less. I am from a smallish town and my home group probably has only about 20 or so members, but most do have QUALITY CLEAN TIME. I have been to the other fellowship the first time I tried to get clean and I was met with disdain and ridicule "we talk about how our lives were affected by ALCOHOL here son so leave the dope talk at the door..." "What are you doing here? I've spilt more alcohol than you've drank..." alot of ******** like that.

I do respect AA b/c my fellowship is based on principle laid out by AA, I just happen to think that NA improved on the formula.

Differance between AA and NA (just a few that stick out in my head right now):

-Our first step is "we admitted we were powerless over ADDICTION and that our lives had become unmanageable." in our first step we take the focus off the symptom and put it onto the disease, basically we admit that drugs aren't our problem, they are just a symptom of our problem. I'm not powerless over opiates, I have the choice to not put any in my body, I am powerless over the disease that I have that screams at me to put the opiates in my body though. Our problem is that we have the disease of addiction and that comes in many many flavors and forms and is a tricky mofo.

-All of our steps begin with "WE" inorder to put empasis on the fact that it is a we program not an I program.

-Narcotics Anonymous is an all inclusive program available to any drug addict (alcohol is a drug) that is looking for a new way to live.

-we only have 1 promise, freedom from active addiction, nothing more, nothing less.

- our message is that an addict, ANY ADDICT, can stop using, lose the desire to use and find a new way to live, our message is one of hope and our promise is freedom.

-Our text is basic, not big.....

Personally for myself, I love NA b/c I find a level of identification with that fellowship that I have never found anywhere else in my life, NA feels like home to me, AA feels like going over to a cousin's house.

As far as the lights being turned out and wierd stuff happening....I could only wish NAh, some of the meetings in my particular area are "candle light meetings" in which the light is off but there is a candle in the center of the circle, this helps people who are self conscious about shareing be more open and honest and I personally think they are some of the best meetings in the area, It's a whole lot easier to admit to a room full of people that you were molested as a child when your not under beaming florescent lights, but that's just my personal experience.

My best suggestion would be to find out for yourself, don't listen to other people's opinions (mine is kinda coloured with a pretty harsh resentment towards AA and should be taken as that, an opinion) go to both and "get in where you fit in" it all comes down to a personal preferance and both programs have saved the lives of many addicts around the world, myself included.
Old 10-18-2005, 11:07 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

People (in both fellowships) get scared when we deal with the disease of addiction and not just the symptom. The disease is between my ears, it doesn't matter what subsance I'm using. It's a myth, we do recover the lie is dead.
Old 10-18-2005, 01:31 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Well .....

Since it's a program of attraction not promotion, I will just tell you that you are only going to find out for yourself if you go yourself.

I hit some meetings around here where there's nearly 50 years or sometimes over that between 3 addicts there. Then sometimes there are a dozen people in the room with less than 6 months between them.

Old 10-18-2005, 08:35 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Not all better, getting better

Wow!! That's all I've got to say!! Thought I don't really consider myself a member of either fellowship, I've been to many AA meetings and many more NA meetings. I would say that the NA meetings tend to have a younger crowd, though I believe that has more to do with the typical demographics of a drug user as opposed to an alcohol abuser than anything. I've probably been to well over 100 NA meetings and have meet many members with 5, 10, even 20 years of clean time. IMHO it's not the amount of time you have anyway but the quality of the time. Don't be afraid, check out some meetings, I promise you won't get NA cooties or anything!!!! Take care.
Old 10-18-2005, 08:55 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

If you want to check out NA, it can affect you recovery, but it won't send you to doom. Just the opposite, unless your looking for a way out, you can find that too. Its a NEW Way of Life!!

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 10-19-2005, 03:04 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks alot guys- i appreciate the information youve provided me and plan to go with one of my AA buddies who also has a addict background as well. We both have never been in an NA meeting so tonight will be a new Im from Odessa, Tx-Live across the way in Midland-did u see the movie Friday night Lights? Thats were I played ball and graduated back in 97'. Again- it really proves how much people do care about others in there response to this question- Its amazing the insight I got out of your replies-thanks again-im truly grateful.-god bless-W.J.
Old 10-19-2005, 06:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

let us know how you liked it.
Old 10-20-2005, 10:06 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I hope you will one day visit an NA meeting and decide for yourself if it is for you.

Far as I can tell NA has no better or worse success rate than any of the other programmes around but what I do know is that it has kept me clean for eight years.

The meeting I attend conducts one "candle lit" meeting" every week.

These Sunday night meetings are very popular with other members because I think it is a break from the norm and many find it more comfortable to share in the softer glow of the candles.

I heard and believed a lot of crap about NA too. (They were a cult, secretive, weird)
None of it is true.

Visiting a few meetings will not jeapordize your chances for recovery at the treatment centre.
Old 10-20-2005, 08:35 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

In all actual statistics the Average AA member is 9 Years, NA is 7 Years. We lived our whole life on MISGUIDED information, If you want the truth, it is always best to go and fing out. Let us know how it went, Just don't judge NA as a whole through one meeting though, go to a few and you will see for yourself.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 10-21-2005, 10:20 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I really enjoyed the meeting-basiclly the same principles and definantley took something positive from the meeting. I really enjoyed the people as I always do and plan to hit a 3/3 AA/NA split for a little change of pace. I just enjoy celebrating recovery so im definantley going to be attending both groups. I appreciate all the positive feedback-well gotta hit the classroom-gotta a test-god bless-W.J.
Old 10-21-2005, 02:40 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

Whoops - posted in wrong thread.

Anyway, hope your meeting went well. Remember, you can always hit another one and see what they have to offer.
I have been to many different ones in different cities, and countries, and they have all been different, but I have yet to find one I haven't learned something new, and they all have one common thread, recovery.
The meetings I chair are meant to be organized, yet fun, with a caring and loving atmosphere for recovery. The balance is challenging, but it helps keep me in recovery. As well as PI - H&I service for our Area.
Chad H.