Notices

Can't Say No to Service!!!!!!!!

Old 10-08-2005, 10:03 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

Can't Say No to Service!!!!!!!!

I am finding the power of God coming on strong lately. I have service commitments from treasurer of my homegroup, starting a new meeting, sponsoring 6 men (Took on another on tonight), Speaking commitments, PI Chair for Area, HI Panel leader at a Detox, Involved with Phoneline, Helping out Programming Committee for Our Convention. God puts us on this path, but sometimes Its to make the righht decisions and do the right things for the right reasons. I don't feel overwelmed, but at some point I have to look deep at my wife and 2 kids and how much time I am spending away from home.

The wife kept making sure I didn't want to go to Phoneline meeting this morning. So last night I went to bed at 2 AM thinking if it was ment to be, I would wake, 9:15 AM the cell rings and I am up and going. I have been blessed with this Program and it is showing me that I don't need to take it all on at one time. I am doing step work, and having a hard time meeting up with my sponsor right now, we talk 3-5 times a week, but sitting down is just not happening right now.

I love Narcotics Anonymous so much I just can't say NO!! Its showing me that commitment is just so real. The symbol says that when Goodwill motives both the individual and the Fellowship we are fully whole and wholely free. Right on.

I have been blessed to talk with many, many , many addicts in the past few months about traveling to speak at our convention, and the process has us passing information to one another and have like 350 contact all over the country.

I am as enthusiastic as from the beginning and my flame ids glowing with others and it is just a blessing and there is no disquise, it is clear. God has me right where I need to be right now, Accepting responsability doesn't come as easy sometimes because its hard to get used to all angles positive results that I am not used to. Making the decision to take responsability for services.

I am truely grateful and blessed to be apart of this journey and I am truely blessed to have all the wonderful folks that love me for me....

If you haven't been told today that you are loved, I Love You!!

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 10-09-2005, 08:35 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

From one Service Junkie to another:
Take a deep breath, and you'll get through it.

I love serving NA. It's what keeps me going.
Old 10-09-2005, 01:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
NA Rocks!

Originally Posted by godsonmyside
I love Narcotics Anonymous so much I just can't say NO!! Its showing me that commitment is just so real. The symbol says that when Goodwill motives both the individual and the Fellowship we are fully whole and wholely free. Right on. ... I am as enthusiastic as from the beginning and my flame ids glowing with others and it is just a blessing and there is no disquise, it is clear. God has me right where I need to be right now ...
Hi Todd!

That was beautiful, my friend. I also am having a hard time saying no. But like you've stated so eloquently, God has His plan for us, and if we keep on His path, all will be well. I'm treasurer of our Saturday women's meeting, do chips often, bring creamer and baked goodies to the evening meetings, and have been meeting other women for coffee or stepwork quite often. (I can't wait to do H&I and chair meetings, but I only have 4+ months so far). I'm struggling, too, with making time for work, my husband, and my kids. I sometimes feel guilty when I leave right after dinner for my home group meeting, but I need it, you know what I mean? I also find myself feeling so moved by other addicts, that I try to help them in different situations, like moving, car rides, etc. But the way you said it, "I am truely grateful and blessed to be a part of this journey and I am truly blessed to have all the wonderful folks that love me for me," well, that just says it all so perfectly. I love NA and my NA family so very much, and I'm sooooo very thankful and grateful for the loving arms of NA.
Originally Posted by godsonmyside
If you haven't been told today that you are loved, I Love You!!
Love you, too, Todd! Have a blessed day! And thank you.

Love to you, too, namommy! :ilu
Old 10-12-2005, 08:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

Sound like Service work is keeping you busy as well.
I had to find a balance in my life. That was the key to making it work for me.
I have been kept busy as the PI - H&I Chair for our Area and running meetings at my home group. But I have also found it helpful to switch off doing the meetings with someone else. Giving them the chance to chair the meeting and getting my sponsees, or other people to help with coffee and set-up. Takes a little responsibility off me and spreads the wealth of recovery in service.
We also go out for coffee after the meetings and I will bring my sponsees along if they make the meeting. Sometimes my wife, or the wives of my sponsor and other recoverying friends come as well.
Coordinating events can be tasking, but if you can form an adhoc committee it can take some of the workload off one persons and spread one major task between 2 or 3 people.
Keeping in touch with people in recovery over the US is fun, and has been great for me in recovery. Especially when I get a call out of the blue from someone I haven't talked to in a while and they just want to chat. I also usually stay at their house, when I go out of town, like this weekend I will be 8 hours away from home for personal business, so I am going to stay with a buddy in recovery. He has 22 years and we talk about twice and month and have gone to a couple camp outs and stuff together. That is what I do for fun now, among other things. He is going to actually take his Monday Night Wrestling off and take me to a meeting to speak at! I didn't know people were that dedicated to fake wrestling. He loves it though, its his night with his boy.
But I also know when I need to feed my marriage and keep things in balance. I also make time for the most important person in my life. I make her a priority, and our marriage my priority. So sometimes I just have to say, No, I have to take care of myself and my marriage as well.
I have seen people in Service go right back out the doors for more and it has taught me to keep a balance in my life so I don't loose myself in service and forget where the program starts, with my recovery.
Glad to see you are having fun in recovery as well as service.
Chad
Old 10-12-2005, 09:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
REZ

"I don't feel overwelmed, but at some point I have to look deep at my wife and 2 kids and how much time I am spending away from home."
This sounds like an understatement to me! How old are your kids? They grow up real fast...Have you missed school plays, ball games, etc. because of this? How does your wife really feel about all this? I am 100% in favor of service (I do a lot too), but I also understand the importance of balance (God/self/family/others).
Old 10-12-2005, 11:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Vision of Hope

I don't miss kids stuff at school and I am home during the week exept Tuesday and Friday night, I am home when the kids come home and we have dinner, It's mostly the weekends and such. My kids are 10 and 8, we have great relationships, I have taken a deep look at this and have slown down allot compared to 6 months ago. Meetings in town, starting another one on Friday Nights here in town.

I am supported with all my endevures by my wife and kids, just sometimes I don't say no when I should. Its not a burden or doesn't stress out the family to much, but we are always learning in this process, I am grateful to see that.

Peace,
Todd J.
Old 10-12-2005, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Sometimes I have to stop and ask myself a question.
Before I take on new committments, I check out the clean time requirements, and the qualifications. I try to see if it is a job that a newer member can do. I don't like to take away service opportunities that may help another. I'm not always great at stopping and doing that, but most of the time.