Notices

I am so scared

Old 10-02-2005, 04:43 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
needinghelp

Unhappy I am so scared

Hi,
I have been on vicodin 10's for a year an a half.
It started out being for pain. Now i can't decipher between the pain of not having them and the actual pain. i know i need to stop but i feel so weak. i am just so much better at everything when i have them.i don't know how i can do this.any suggestions???
Old 10-02-2005, 06:34 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I'm not a doctor but you might need some medical help to detox safely. I do know that once you get clean it's possible to stay clean with the support of other recovering addicts, meetings, a sponsor and throuigh working the steps.

You can fnd NA meetings in your area by calling ..717-393-4546 thats the Lancaster helpline for the mid atlantic region of NA .. MARLYCNA web page thers a meeting locator on he web page or you can go to the official world services NA meeting locator

I'm sure someone who is a bit more knowledgable on the medical aspects of vicodin detox will be along as well as the rest of the crew to wlcome you.
Old 10-02-2005, 10:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Livin' the NA WAY

Vicodinprincess,

Well I have been there too and was VERY scared. I detoxed too many times to count. The last time was off of 480-720mg's mixed opiates, to include Norco(vicodin 10's), and 12-16mg's Zanax (Benzodiazepines). I was unable to detox myself off of the benzo's on my own due to the possibility of death. As I had already tried once with a lesser potent benzo and had a seizure, in which I broke my back. Not to mention I just got home from the Dr.'s Office and pharmacy, and was in my drive-way with my gas pedal to the floor and my truck in park thank god when my wife found me due to the noise of my truck.
So I have been there as well.
A word of caution and info. Coming off of opiates is not life threatening. The down side to that is unless you check ahead, some detox facilities also know this and will not aid in the process to keep you comfortable.
I am not sure where you are at with your addiction and where you plan to go. But I can help you through this with my experience and how I dealt with it. I am known in my NA home group as "the pharmacist" due to my extensive knowledge in pharmacut's as well as how to deal with the withdrawal aspect.
The main thing you need to know is what is going to happen.
It takes about 4 days for the worst of it to pass, BUT IT WILL! You have to remember you will get better and feel better.
It is like a REALLY bad flu. I was always REALLY tired, yet had RLS(Restless Leg Syndrome)
I always had a course of vitamins, slim-fast, immodium (for the runs), and lots of water on hand. As well as banana's to help with the restless legs.
If you want I can post more info on how I got through it and what to expect.
I was able to come off the equivelant of 48-72 Vicodin 10's a day ( Mainly others without the tylenol) and have been clean for almost a year.
It is tough, and the emotional rollercoaster is hard. But I wouldn't trade a day clean for the rollercoaster I rode by using.
Life is so much easier today without that stuff in my life. It took a little courage, and a lot of help from others, but today I am clean thanks to it all.
I would also suggest what was posted above, to get to a MEETING, or at least call someone in NA. They can help and BE THERE for you WHILE you go through this.
I am now the Public Information Chair for my Area, run a local NA meeting and it has saved me from the hell I was living.
NA = Never Alone Never Again,
Sincerely,
Chad H.
Old 10-03-2005, 04:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Welcome to SR, vicodinprincess and theNAway!!

princess,
My name is Eddie and I am a pharmacist as well as a recovering opiate addict who suffered from chronic back pain. Yes, get to an NA meeting soon, but also talk with your doctor about what they can do to get you through the withdrawal symptoms. My experience as far as the pain goes is that the pain did get worse before it got better. BUT, since about two months after I got clean, I haven't had to take anything for pain other than Tylenol and ibuprofen! I now believe, as you seem to be finding out, that the opiates actually perpetuated the pain so that I thought I couldn't do without them.

Most pain can be relieved without opiates although it takes commitment and effort. Like I said, work with your healthcare providers honestly and they can help with the pain of detox and the chronic pain. In order to STAY clean, Narcotics Anonymous has been great for me. Call your doctor today, go to a meeting, and feel free to PM me, too, if you like!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 08-13-2008, 08:25 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

vicodin Help!

I'm sorry but a lot of these messages are probably from those who have never dealt with this addiction, the support is great but won't cure a true addict. The truth is you can't beat a drug that your addicted to without some kind of inside truth and strength. If you know you are addicted that is a realizing the truth the hardest part is conquering the strength of saying "No". I once was addicted, when I ran out all i thought about was where to get more. Not anymore, my cure was hard fought but i beat it. Truth is hydrocodone and oxy's are easy to become addicted to. Unless one themselves have experienced it themselves reading a book or going to college won't help a individual through this fight. If you really want to quit, which is hard you can go to detox or have the worst couple of weeks of withdrawals ever by quiting all together (not recommended). The withdrawal can make someone very irritable and uncomfortable in the body. I would recommend lower the dosage you usually take coming off slowly, maybe a pill or two less each week. This will allow the body to slowly lower its tolerance for the drug. Truth is your mind says "I have more" during this you need to do an activity that usually keeps your mind off of it, I personally did a recreational sport and my mind was less likely to think about the drug. There is something one has to find that keeps their mind from re-thinking about how many pills or when you need them. Once the feeling of needing them leaves you should be okay, every once in a while it will enter your mind of the heavenly feeling you once felt, but fight the urge inside and remember where it last left you. Hope this helped
Old 08-13-2008, 08:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
*Grateful*

DJ,

what are you talking about? Most of us on this forum are addicts. Most of us have gone thru the withdrawals. Most of us cannot taper cuz we are addicts. I am quite confused by your post.

Sheila
Old 08-13-2008, 09:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Evolving Addict

Hi VP,

Although my DOC wasn't yours, I am a recovering addict and pretty darn familiar with addiction. Seeing that this is the NA/12 step forum, I'll offer my ES&H the NA way. I totally agree with Gooch that you may need professional assistance to detox safely. I would never offer advice on medical matters or tapering - NA isn't about that. I would suggest that you consider attending NA meetings in your area, and there you'll find a lot of love and support to help you in your recovery. There are many others in NA who have been through what you're going through and found a new way to live.

best wishes.
Old 08-14-2008, 06:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Om, Aum, Ohm...

Pretty cool to see some old names in the resurrected threads.

As for success or failure in putting down the drug, had I not heard someone tell me that she'd been there, she went through what I was feeling and she came out on the other side, I doubt I would have had the hope that I would, too. Yes, it was tough. I admitted that the drugs had beat me. I admitted that my life was totally out of control so long as I kept putting them in my body. I drew on the Experience, Strength and Hope of the collective fellowship and leaned on my very tenuous belief in something bigger than me.

When I got clean, suboxone wasn't available, and I doubt that I would have taken advantage of it if it was. I turned down methadone and other drugs to ease the withdrawals. I wanted to get clean so badly, I clung to the belief that the worse my detox, the less likely I would be to go back to it. I was in agony for ten full days and very uncomfortable for weeks after that. It wouldn't have kept me clean, though, because not only was I physically dependent upon opiates, benzos, booze, pot, and coke, I was addicted. It included the physical, but wasn't limited to the physical. I was also mentally, emotionally and spiritually affected. As a result, I had to make real life changes to stay clean. I found those through the 12 Steps, guided by a sponsor and supported by the fellowship.

djhenry, this is a NA 12-Step Support Forum. If you have another method that worked for you, there are other forums here where you might find it more appropriate to share.

Peace & Love,
Sugah