Notices

trying to overcome cocaine

Old 09-25-2005, 06:33 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

trying to overcome cocaine

I want to overcome my cocaine addiction, not doing very good on my own. Any suggestions on doing this on my own with out na meetings. The worst for me is when I get stressed thats where I turn how can I get past that overwhelming urge without going crazy!!!!
Old 09-25-2005, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Snooty, I am working to overcome my cocaine addiction too. The urges are horribly crazy at times but i just try to keep myself occupied with other things to change where my mind is focused. I try to find positive activities to do to help get me through. I only do it one day at a time. You can do this.
Check out:

http://smartrecovery.org/
Old 09-25-2005, 08:45 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Late stage optimist

Snooty:

I am a recovering cocaine addict going on 12 years in recovery.

What are you willing to do to get better?
Old 09-25-2005, 09:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by snooty
I want to overcome my cocaine addiction, not doing very good on my own. !!
Hey first I would like to welcome you to SR and glad that you are here, and you will find a lot of support here. Don't know if we can do it on our own per-say but yet really we have to do it for ourselves. You said you are not doing very good on your own, none of us really did do it very good on our own, right

Any suggestions on doing this on my own with out na meetings.
I am not sure about that for me but there are other types of programs but there you have it, you are not really own your own there. My question to you would be why do you think that you need to do it on your own. Hope that you find what you are looking for and again welcome to SR.

Love Vic
Old 10-03-2005, 10:02 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
NEW*************

snooty!! how is it going? I'm getting ready to push the coke away.. give me your tips for success...
Old 10-03-2005, 11:00 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hey snooty and snowdeep

Coke was my doc and it was hell quitting. I really don't think I could have done it without meetings. Before going to meetings, I staged an intervention for myself and told everyone that I had a problem so it was easier for me to go to meetings since after that my closest friends and family were keeping such a watchful eye on me. I don't know if this is an option or if you feel this would help you but it's a thought.

I got pregnant two months after quitting and refused to use while I was pregnant which didn't make the cravings or urges any easier. I could tell you to go for walks, journal, stay busy, etc. and, while all of this will help, for me none of it did much without being in some kind of program because you're not just trying to quit you're trying to change your entire life and your outlook on it. Being surrounded by people in recovery kept me accountable and I was still able to get out of the house without driving straight to my dealer's house and have a social life without hanging with actively using addicts which was refreshing.

Isolation is the problem. When I tried to quit in the past, I thought that I could do it on my own and usually ended up alone which caused me to start using again which is now once again a problem since I'm a stay at home mom without much time for friends and meetings. Cravings are fierce and it's been almost a year since my last line. While I haven't picked up again, I'm hoping that posting here will get me off the fence about my recovery.

Anyway..wow, brevity is not my strong point, if you are trying to do it on your own the only advice I have is to post here for support, go to one na meeting and get a phone list for people to call when you need support (call them when your stressed snooty) and can't get to your computer, stop hanging with people you use with (very hard but crucial) and don't go to places where you do.

Hope that helps.