Notices

new and alone

Old 08-18-2005, 06:58 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

new and alone

hey everyone!!! im not sure how all this works. ive been sober since easter sunday of this year but i had to move and i dont know anyone anymore. which is a good thing for my soriety but a bad thing for my deppression. im starting school next week in attempts to complete my high school diploma, i had dropped out. im hoping it will lift my spirits but im also afraid that it may afffect me in a negative way. i dont feel strong enough to fight temtations. help! please
Old 08-18-2005, 07:05 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Hi tink360 welcome to SR and I am sure that these people here will make you feel like your not alone, I am feeling the same thing right now and I just made a post myself about feeling alone LMAO, and then I come back to check on the meeting time and here you are in the same situation as I am right now. I moved here two weeks ago and I don't know anyone either but I did have a lot of AA and NA friends back in Nebraska but here I know no one, well that is not true I do know someone from here but I have not even met them yet so I still feel like I don't know anyone. Hang in there and keep posting here, these people will help you.

Love Vic
Old 08-18-2005, 10:33 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
refreshed & renewed

1 newbie 2 another

feel better already,huh? I signed on only a few hours ago...... so glad i did. Glad u did also! WELCOME!!
Old 08-18-2005, 11:12 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
son of a***** everythings real

hi

hi
congrats on your sobriety first of all, wow easter sunday, thats really good!
but question...how come you think it might affect you in a negative way?
if you feel it might uplift your spirits, then think of only that and you'll be suprised how much your spirits will be uplifted, remember anything is possible, remember you are sober! i know i dont know your history but look at where you are now. have you ever been in a program or going to meetings? those may help you as well if your thinking about using again. remember take one day at a time.
sorry if i totally read your post wrong but i hope it helps.
good luck and let us know how your doing when you start school!!

good luck
Old 08-19-2005, 12:03 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Greatful Sober Biker

Welcome to SR, Glad that you are here. Have you been to any meetings? Keep comming back and let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-20-2005, 04:44 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

thanx for the replys, for the past few days the lonliness has turned into cravings and then deppression, anger and resentment...but ive been spending some time on this site and started to mend some lose ends in family relationships and things are slowly starting to look up again. i got a job working at a local target and i think thats gunna help occupy the empty spaces in time, thanx once again
Old 08-20-2005, 05:01 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Reach Out and Touch Faith

Glad to hear about the job, Tink. Please still check in with us, let us know how you are doing.
Old 08-20-2005, 11:00 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Yeah and just remember that nothing is more important than our sobriety and OMG did I love having you at the on-line meeting tonight wasn't that a blast and it really helped me out to talk to you.

Love Vic
Old 08-20-2005, 11:43 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I have also experienced all the depression,anger,loneliness,resentments,anger,guil t,etc.I tried NA meetings.For a long time I didnt even like them.I hated going and would come up with any excuse not to go.The end result wasnt good.But,I kept going back.It took me a little longer than most people.I finally made a lotta friends at my meetings.But,I still wasnt willing to do the work.Once again the end result wasnt good.Now,I am back.I go to meetings regularly,I have a sponsor,I actually work the steps,I hang out with people who dont use.And I also come here.Today,I actually have a life.I am happy.I work through my problems and feelings.My recovery comes before everything and anything.I am willing to go to any length to stay clean.Working the steps helps me get through the feelings you mentioned.
Old 08-21-2005, 08:46 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Think Happy Thoughts

it was good to read these replies. i live with my parents and today was not a very good day. my family has been suggested to go to an alanon meeting the day i was but in detox and they have yet to go, i asked for my father to take me to a meeting this afternoon after an emotional morning with my grandfather who until today didnt talk about my drug use. he also yelled at my father for "allowing" it to happen. i by no means blame my father and i did stand up for him but my grandfather is firm in his belief that he raised his son to raise my sister and hi "better" but i dont believe that. the thing is that due to my fathers deppression about the incident he didnt wanna go and he wasent in the mood to drive me that far to chicago either, how do i get him to understand the importance to these meetings without making him feel like i dont respecet his feelings?
Old 08-22-2005, 09:17 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by tink360
how do i get him to understand the importance to these meetings without making him feel like i dont respecet his feelings?
Great question! Wish I had the perfect answer for you.

Sort of like how did anyone convnce you that you had a drug problem without making it seem like they disrespected your feelings?

I know for me I had to come to an understanding for myself that i had exhausted all attempts to control my addiction and I needed to completely surrender to the option of help from others.

Might want to try the naranon board and ask the folks over there how their addicts got them to get some support with the codie side of things.