Notices

Question

Old 08-03-2005, 10:09 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Question

I have some questions I was wondering if someone could try to help me out with.
I have had extreme trouble sleeping. I am diagnosed with anxiety and depression. Although I believe there is more that they haven't diagnosed, and that is why I am just not feeling better.
I belong to a dual diagnosis group, for the mental health diagnosis, and also for drug addiction. Been in recovery for almost 4 months.
In my dual group. We came to realize from me talking that I fight sleep, I take an anti-depressant that is also given to people to help them sleep. But is hasnt been helping.
I have this horrible fear of night. In group I was saying my husband and I were out one night riding on the motorcycle, and it was very dark, and we went past a house and the house was really dark, but I could see this digital clock on the wall. That's about all I could see. A huge chill ran through me and my anxiety went high, I was really upset, just seeeing the inside of a dark house, with no one awake. That is a huge, huge fear I have a dark house with no one awake but me. This may sound silly, but it is real to me.
I want it to stay day all the time. I fear night so much that I stay awake most nights until 3-6am. Basically until I can't stay awake anymore. I can not lay in bed unless I am ready to sleep.
When I talked about it at group, the counselor wanted to know why I was so afraid of night, why I just can't relax and try to sleep. I don't know why though, but this has been a reeally big problem, for me for as long as I can remember.
They didn't seem to know why, but wondered what happened in my life to make me fear sleeping, and night so much.
Could this be a symptom of ptsd? I know that no one here is a doctor, but maybe, just maybe someone could shed some light as to what my problem could be? If it could be a symptom of ptsd? I don't know really anything about ptsd. But I am having trouble helping myself, and them helping me, since I don't know why I have such a huge fear..
Thanks ahead of time, for any info. you can share. Thanks, Becky
Old 08-03-2005, 02:23 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Say cheese!

sounds like you had a flashback or it was a trigger.

here is some info on PTSD

http://www.ncptsd.va.gov/facts/gener...t_is_ptsd.html

http://www.ptsdalliance.org/home2.html

hope that helps..
Old 08-17-2005, 10:02 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Big kitty nose hugs

My heart goes out to you. It could be a trigger to something that you have experienced in the past. We will avoid these triggers either consciously or sub-consciously.

I sure hope that you can get through this. I know what it can be like when there is no sleep to be found.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:02 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I just saw this, but i'm on my way out the door (ironically to the APA conference). I am sure you will get some great info here. I'll check back in on the thread when I get home monday night.

-pedagogue
Old 08-18-2005, 02:40 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
You're never alone!!

Thanks all
Old 08-18-2005, 08:47 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

Bless your heart...I have been through spells where I really dreaded the night, I would be almost paranoid. I would sleep with my shoes on, always afraid I would have to run for my life. I do believe it is from PTSD, and with anxiety and depression it is really tough. hang in there, keep taking your meds and talk it out. Huge hugs coming your way.