Notices

Hello and advice about Paxil

Old 07-18-2005, 05:59 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hello and advice about Paxil

I most likly already know the anwer but, will ask anyway. For a stupid reason I took myself off my Paxil. I was ashamed and embarrassed to mention a few of the side effects. One in particular is the sexual side effect. I was feeling like when I was a child and being abused sexually. I was taught, by the abusers, not to talk about those problems. Not ony you but, even the doctor, I felt like I would have been talking dirty to say the medication wasn't allowing me to have sex with my wife. Make any sense? Doctor, I need to adjust my medication so I can have sex. I can just about type it. Anyway, taking myself off Paxil, had some adverse reactions. After being off for little over a month, I was going to put myself back on. I had been taking 40mg so I broke it in half to ease myself back on. As I posted on the General Board, I started to feel this was also playing doctor. I did that with alcohol also, medicated myself. Anyway, when getting off I had to sleep in other room due to violent expected nightmares. The problem being, I don't know what will happen going back on. The smallest dose is 20mg. then up to 40mg. The VA had me do 10 then 20 then 40mg. Plus the guilty feelings of not following the doctors orders and having to lie about it. Anyway, I made a call to VA, although I had to leave message, and let them know what I did. I'll have to listen to some stuff but, maybe I should. I am going to let the doctor know aboutthe side effects. You see I was willing to live with being lathargic and not having sex. However, my wife is also involved here, so deciding for her isn't right. Part, because I was in fear of changing what was working drinking wise. Others have now let me know something else will still work but, maybe better. Plus, my wife was thinking my non ability to be with her sexually was because I'd lost intrest in her. Although I told her it was the medication she still felt low self esteem not being able to over ride the Paxil. Anyway, I remember some of you mention other forms of Paxil. Maybe you could mention them again and I can suggest it to doctor. Strange how talking about sex, still makes me feel like talking about something dirty and bad. Like I said, the same exact feeling of shame and guilt from talking about the sexual abuse came to mind. I hope everyone is doing well, I don't know why I thought I didn't need this anymore. Don W
Old 07-25-2005, 08:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hello Don, I have been on Paxil for some time now. It seemed to work well for panic attacks I used to get. But I do agree, the sexual side effects are terrible. I tried a few times to taper off, but the withdrawl symptomes for me were awfull - strange dreams, the zaps, and being very very emotional. Even after a week and a half, I was still very unsteady emotionally. So I decided I better stay on Paxil and talk to the Doc. What works well for me today as a lesser dose of Paxil along with Wellbutrin. Definately talk to your Doctor, sexual problems with Paxil seems to be the norm, they probably hear about this sort of thing all the time.
Old 07-29-2005, 06:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks Marty, Great advice and even better, I'm goping to follow it. Also, I ran into the same nightmare problem. I'm a little jumpy, well alot at times but, I'll make it through.Again, Thanks, Don W
Old 08-03-2005, 06:58 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Hi, Just an update and suggestion. I put myself back on Paxil. I could feel myself going down hill. The depression was setting in and the thought of relief through alcohol was becomming daily. I did this Saturday and already feel the results. Anybody thinking of removing yourself from medication don't. Don't let anyone, family, friends, recovery programs push you into stopping.
They might be right, and you don't need them but, what if they're wrong?
Who pays the price? Don W
Old 08-15-2005, 10:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
~Author of My Life~

I used to take Paxil...and took myself off of it too..had a terrible time of it. I know it's hard withe the sexual side effects...quite frankly it's rotten. But so is the suicidal depression and sever anxiety. Please do speak with your doctor, maybe another med will work better for you. I don't feel the lethargy with the Zoloft I am on, but the OCD is worse, and my moods are kinda up and down alot.....It can take some time to get the right med, the right dose, and /or the right combo of meds.......cognitive therapy is great too. Hang in there. I know it's tough.

I used to feel ashamed that I had stopped meds and done it 'my way' to. I would just stop going to the doc altogether and medicate myself with pain meds......causwd myself alot of grief. Get back into that doc..and don't be ashamed...you are trying to get help, you should be proud of yourself for fighitng so hard to live your life. Sending huge hugs your way. (((Hugs)))
Old 08-15-2005, 11:02 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The newer ones Celexa and Lexapro are not nearly so bad with the sexual side effects.
Did you know that is one of the biggest reasons people stop taking their antidepressants...the sex thing???
I went off Paxil, it was a weird out of body experience for a few days, maybe more. I stopped taking them for the wrong reasons (I thought I was all well and cured, didn't need pills anymore). But when I inevitably got sicker I was put on newer ones, celexa at that time I think. Lexapro is even gentler. And there may be newer ones out that I am not aware of.
Believe me this is so common of a problem, it is almost a given.
Glad you found the courage to ask.
There are solutions.
live
Old 08-16-2005, 06:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
This is NOT my first Rodeo

Live,
I take Celexa, and I dont' have any sexual side effects. The one that drives me BATTY is the sweating. I am HOT all the time. Being a middle aged woman is bad enough without adding some dadgum medication that makes it worse! I keep the A/C at 69-70 and during the winter I kept it at 64. The others in my household can put on a sweater or blanket... but I'm HOT.

Have you heard of this?

TBK
Old 08-16-2005, 08:17 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Umm I don't remember. Hubby is on Celexa now but he is so used to the Florida heat it would be hard to tell.
Old 08-16-2005, 08:44 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

As others have mentioned....there are other pharma options besides paxil. You need to talk to your doctor about the other options, and how they pertain to your situation. Your doctor could give you an informed medical opinion about the pros/cons of other medications.

On the topic of bringing up difficult subjects with your doctors......they can handle it, even if you can't (at the time). They are there to look out for your best interest, so help them do that for you by talking honestly with them.
Old 08-17-2005, 12:03 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I ran across an article today in Newsweek Aug 8th edition that addresses antidepressants and withdrawals. Might want to check it out. It said Paxil withdrawal only lasts 2-3 days but that was not my experience.