Notices

percocet withdrawal

Old 07-11-2005, 09:13 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

percocet withdrawal

what should i expect, other than the fact that i cant sleep.
coming off 6-15 tabs a day for 2 weeks. will i have a habit?
took 6 before noon, it's midnite now.
Old 07-11-2005, 10:25 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Still hangin` on...

Tracer--Im not a MD--but I can tell you my hell!!!!!! I was up to 30-35 a day at my peak---not a pretty sight!!!!!!!! I couldnt even get out of bed without them!!!!! If you think you have a problem--then maybe you do!!! Go to your doctor, explain your concerns and GET HELP!!!!! These really are not something you want to f### around with--I wouldnt wish that on my worst enemy!!!! Get help--go to a meeting--it can only help---right?????
Ann
Old 07-11-2005, 10:54 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
No expectations!

WELCOME to SR, tracer11!! That's enough to set you up for significant withdrawal symptoms. Talk to you doctor about clonidine or other meds to help you get through it. Otherwise you're likely to experience something that resembles a nasty stomach flu plus muscle spasms and insomnia. You don't have to suffer through all that if you are honest with your doc and get some help. NA meetings are also very helpful. I wish you the best! Stay in touch and let us know how you're doing, OK?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-12-2005, 04:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
UeyNC

hey Tracer,
I bet you will feel pretty bad/ suffer from flu like symptoms but you were only taking them for two weeks so your gonna feel sick but it really wont be as bad as it could be. You only have to kick these things once, if you continue it will only get worse and worse. Beleive I know where your coming from. The suggestions above are all good ones, getting to a meeting would help also. you don't have to do this alone.
Good Luck!!!!
MIKe

Old 07-12-2005, 04:51 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Not crazy, just a lil unwell

I am currently on a Percocet prescription following a multiple level spinal fusion surgery. When I felt like I was having withdrawals, I found this board and talked about it. When I cut down to 3 times a day I manage my pain with now, I had really sick feelings. Flu like symptoms, a burning like sensation in my skin, a slight buzzy weirdness in my head. Really flu like. Hard to explain. Once I got back down to the 3 a day I don't have those symptoms anymore. I will imagine once I do the "down to none" dance, I'll get these symptoms all over again until it completely clears my system.
Old 07-25-2005, 10:53 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Danicam

geT OFF OF THEM NOW..... iF YOUR ON THIS WEBSITE, YOU OBVEOSLY HAVE A PROBLEM... aT LEAST ITS SOONER THAN LATER
Old 07-26-2005, 02:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Danicam,
tracer11 did get off the Percocet, last I heard. Started a new thread somewhere about it. I just can't remember where or what the name of it was. Thought you might want to know, though. How are YOU doing?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-26-2005, 07:40 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

yes i'm still off them. smoking like a chimney though, damn! I'm so mad at myself for this relapse.
Old 07-26-2005, 07:52 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Yeah, my smoking is way out of control, too. I have a bunch of Nicorette, but I never think to use it for some reason. Give yourself some credit, though, for staying off the Percocet, OK? You deserve it!!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-26-2005, 08:59 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Danicam

awsome for you... I have 36 hours off. I feel like im going to die... Thats why I said get off soon. I lost my baby Nathan at 10 weeks old to the silent killer known as SIDS thats how it all started 7 months ago. I need to stay off for my 16 month old daughter. Im determend
Old 07-26-2005, 09:20 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
No expectations!

(((((Dani))))),
I am so sorry about your son. I will keep you and your daughter in my thoughts and prayers!

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-26-2005, 10:12 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Danicam

Thanks I need it.... We both need it. I think she needs it more than me. Where will she be with no mommy. Thats all I can think of. My stomach feels like someone is blowing bubbles in it.. Why?
Old 07-27-2005, 06:14 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Danicam, I'm so sorry for your loss. I cannot imagine what losing a child must feel like.

Good for you and Tracer for getting off the drugs. I will say that withdrawal for me was pretty crummy, but the physical symptoms were gone in a week. Your stomach will be better by then.

What I wasn't prepared for was the emotional fallout and the lack of sleep. Ug.
Old 07-27-2005, 06:56 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Originally Posted by danicam24
My stomach feels like someone is blowing bubbles in it.. Why?
You're welcome, Dani. The roiling (sp?) stomach is just part of the withdrawal. Did you try something over-the-counter like Kaopectate for it? That could really help! Best wishes, girl! You CAN do this! You just can't do it alone.

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 07-27-2005, 10:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Danicam

ive done it so far by myself. I dont think I need a detox program... over 50 hours clean. Felling a little better. I have to do this for my baby. She doesnt deseve all this.
Old 07-28-2005, 06:25 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
No expectations!

Yes, check out some NA meetings, Danielle. They can provide great support which is very helpful. How are you doing today?

Love and hugs,
Eddie
Old 01-19-2010, 04:40 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

interested

I don't know If anyone is on these forums any longer, but here is my story so far. I got hurt at work, 2 herniated discs in my back. I was put on oxys/percs 60pcs of 10mg at a time. this started about 2 months ago. I've been keeping it from 2-3 per 24hrs. I have a surgery this month, and can only imagine that i will continue with perc. Should I be worried with the amount that I am taking for the near future. Will I get addicted, I know that I can control the amount I take, I guess my question is Will i get addicted, and/or will i experience a withdrawal symptoms after i get off of them completley.

Should I slow it down to 2 and gradualy down to 1 a day before i stop taking completley. I am just scared of addiction and want some answers from you guys.

Thanks in advance.
Old 01-21-2010, 05:44 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
No expectations!

I like to make a distinction between "addiction" and simple physical dependence which just means one has physical withdrawal symptoms when the drug is stopped. If I can control my intake of a drug without trouble, then I don't consider myself "addicted." I recently tapered off an antidepressant, though, which if I had just stopped taking all at once, would have probably been a disaster because of withdrawal symptoms.

I suggest you discuss a tapering schedule with the prescriber(s). Better safe than sorry. I have had withdrawals after taking fairly small doses of narcotics such as oxy for even short periods of time, like less than a week. It's very individual. I believe it's best to work with your healthcare providers and be up front about your concerns. Just my 2 cents.

Best wishes to you and WELCOME TO SR!!
Love and hugs,
Eddie Z.
Old 05-07-2010, 09:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi I am new

Hi, I am new to all this, so bear with me. When I turned 16 I got diagnosed with a very rare disease called dermatomyositis. At that point, I was prescribed to oxtcontin 40 mgs 6x per day. I was on those for about 4 years, then I decided they were too much so I switched to percocet. Now it's been 7 years on percocet. It's sad because I don't remember what it's like to be sober anymore. I am still on them, but I realize that I have a problem. I feel like I am a zombie, half dead, half alive. I just go through the movements everyday. So much of my life has been wasted. I just feel like I want to talk to some other people with my problem. I still feel like I am in so much pain, but now I am not even sure if it's from my disease or if it is from the pills.
Old 05-07-2010, 04:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sull0510 View Post
Hi, I am new to all this, so bear with me. When I turned 16 I got diagnosed with a very rare disease called dermatomyositis. At that point, I was prescribed to oxtcontin 40 mgs 6x per day. I was on those for about 4 years, then I decided they were too much so I switched to percocet. Now it's been 7 years on percocet. It's sad because I don't remember what it's like to be sober anymore. I am still on them, but I realize that I have a problem. I feel like I am a zombie, half dead, half alive. I just go through the movements everyday. So much of my life has been wasted. I just feel like I want to talk to some other people with my problem. I still feel like I am in so much pain, but now I am not even sure if it's from my disease or if it is from the pills.
Have a talk with your healthcare provider. Explain your concerns with him/her, and they can lay out a plan for you. If you feel as though its becoming a problem, they can work with you to either taper off the meds or try a different med. Just be honest with them.